hf1

Are there trends/fashions in the cloth nappy world?

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Are there trends/fashions in the cloth nappy world?

Postby Sally » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:47 pm

I use flat nappies,prefolds etc and it's not because I can't afford fancy nappies or disposables they just suit us at the moment and if we stopped getting on with cloth I would consider EC as an option :D

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:53 pm

I never realised that there were so many pretty nappies until I came here :giggle: I had been given a whole load of bambino mios, which I actually quite liked, although they are very boring. I then moved oonto fitteds and tried a couple of ittis- look fab but no good of she poos! :lookround:
I am now on the pockets as they just seem to work well for us at the minute, Penny is such an odd shape that btp are the only thing that really work for her too.
I am pretty sure that trends do exist but I haven't been into it long enough to notice though :oops:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:54 pm

nappynutter wrote:Surely we're discussing people who can't afford disposables/pretty cloth nappies though?

I disagree. I think the title of the post shows the directing in which she intended this discussion to head ;)
Surely we're discussing trends and fashions in the cloth nappy world or do my eyes deceive me :hohoho:

Besides I thought it was more about the pretty nappies not being available - for example a few of the users on here, Di and others in South Africa have posted about their woes at how hard it is to get hold of pretty nappies there...

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:55 pm

nappynutter wrote:Surely we're discussing people who can't afford disposables/pretty cloth nappies though?

Erm, no,

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:59 pm

My gran did PT EC with my mum and my aunts from 6 months and she says they were potty trained at 12-15months. I guess thats more potty timing than training but her main reason was to cut down on washing. She obviously washed by hand and to have to do a family of 6's laundry plus nappies was a chore so the sooner the nappies went the better for her.

I prob would have looked more into EC if there was no disposables or functional cloth but atm we are fine with sitting on the potty once per day before a bath :)

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:28 pm

jules070603 wrote:

Erm, no,

See I read these bits...

megansmummy wrote:I have been lurking on diaperswappers for a while now as its alot more 'mainstream' in the US to use prefolds/flat nappies than it is over here and i have been after some advice etc...and there was a thread on there that got me thinking...

Do you think that there are trends/fashions in the cloth nappy world? Or do you really go with what works/functionality? Or a combination of both? Do you think cloth nappies are a fashion item rather than anything else? I was thinking about peoples in countries that have no alternative BUT to use cloth nappies?

Would you still use cloth nappies if there wasnt the lovely WAHM's like Ems at puddlekins, weenotions, Beth and Amber at LLS etc etc etc?? if it was just really basic stuff?

megansmummy wrote:
beffys wrote:I think Tory's point was more any countries where people can't afford the luxury of having a cloth nappy that looks pretty and paying for that design value then, compared to something that plain and simple in form and function.

Thank you beth, this was exactly what i mean :) ...i would imagine there are plenty of people here in the UK that use cloth becuase they cannot afford disposables..perhaps i didnt word that bit right!!

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:00 pm

Tory already said that she hadn't considered EC, but of course it's a viable option. Kind of makes the primary discussion of cloth nappy trends null and void then though. :lol: I think a lot of it's down to people not always knowing or considering the best alternatives, but yes personally I would far rather go to early efforts of EC than use sposies. Anthropologically speaking, what ever did we do without cloth on our LOs bum? :wink: Part of it is an excuse to use pretty fabric (and why not!), but it doesn't mean you have sacrifice good looks for function. EC does away with the need for both good looks and cloth function.

Generally as well it's not a matter of not affording something (here). You can usually do without something else to make sure you have the basic things you need. It comes down to priorities and what you're willing to spend on sposies or cloth.

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:50 am

i start beacse off oll the prtty nappys but now i have started to use pre fold as they work best on my LO now and i have found a new love for them so i would say that yes there is a treand but i have now change to pratitltalt now

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:04 am

My first reason for using cloth is because I could not bear putting that many disposable nappies into landfill. My second, no horrid chemicals near Oscar.

I started using cloth before I found out that pretty nappies existed, and I am afraid pretty, trendy nappies dont come into it for me.

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat