hf1

Are there trends/fashions in the cloth nappy world?

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Are there trends/fashions in the cloth nappy world?

Postby Sally » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:40 pm

When I started bamboozles were all the rage bought loads but far too bulky for us so they went in favour of slimmer fitteds and we used weenotion pockets from the beginning and itti's :oops: so I was totally seduced my pretty nappies I've used loads of fitted nappies all WAHM especially when I couldn't use pockets but I find them to bulky for day use and anything slim is just wet too quickly so we are going back to basics wraps and prefolds plus a pretty pocket collection :D but i've spent loads of money following the trends which have been a few in the short space of a year :shock: and most didn't work for us :( but I have had fun trying them all out :giggle:

I'm still spending but mainly on hand dyed yarn and knitted clothes and material :giggle:

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:05 pm

princessliana wrote: i've spent loads of money following the trends which have been a few in the short space of a year :shock: and most didn't work for us :( but I have had fun trying them all out :giggle:

I think this is what has annoyed me most... but it was fun!

With Megan I had 15 WHITE BG's and 4 wonderoos which i stuffed for nightime...we switched to prefolds/wraps at about 8/9 months when the BG;s started leaking all the tim...they worked fine and we never had a problem...

With Kieren, I jumped on the DnF wagon, I had 18 a couple of months ago, I only have two left now and they are for sale in the classifieds. My Goodmamas are a workhorse fitted for us and i have deffinatly saved them for kieren and the next baby during my nappy cull. But he is now 99.9% of the time in prefolds and wraps/wool...hubby uses the Goodmamas or easyfits if he ever changes him...which isnt often at all! I have spent far too much money on nappies and it makes me cringe...I never wanted to spend a fortune on nappies that loose their resale value and just sit unloved in the nursery :(

With baby#3 her stash is complete (with the exception of night nappies when she needs them, we wont use them for a while...if at all) and im thrilled to bits with it :wine: , aside from the woolies which i need to work on slowley due to funds...Her stash is probably the ultimate in boring compared to all the stashes on here but i love it, simple, easy and effective and im really excited about it :mrgreen: I actually have NO desire to buy fancy nappies for her whatso ever...i feel like i have done that bit with Kieren and im really not bothered about doing it again (thank god i did do it with kieren as it would have got even more expensive with a girl! :shock: :giggle: )

The circle of nappies :giggle:

ETA i might do a newborn stash piccie at some point as long as people promise not to laugh at it!! :oops: :giggle:
Last edited by megansmummy on Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
wytch
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby wytch » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:11 pm

yup this next baby has a boring workhorse statsh but like it that way just a few colored pul bits and 1 itti. alanna has a hand full of pockets all but one are plain pul outs or ploy pul print outters as there are normal covered up. i always but preloved with the expection to 3 WNNN we have as i just cant justify spending more then £8 on any nappy.

My avatar
mrspumpkin
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mrspumpkin » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:23 pm

i think there are trends. i've tried loads of different types, but recently have got rid of all the ones i don't use much. and stuck with the ones that are best for us- ittis for the day mainly, tots bamboozles for nursery. a few fitteds for night time and wool covers. ds has fuzzis, an itti tutto and a homemade nappy for night time. i have one fitted for him at night time, but it's last choice and hardly gets used. i think i have about 25 nappies between the two of them now.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:27 pm

There are definitely trends, I notice it more on US sites than over here, but do notice it here and CNA. And I noticed a huge move over from pockets when CNT first started, to now, with a lot more fitteds and wool.
And yes, we would still have used them, probably much more economically too. We used MEOS and Airflows for years with no problems.

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:30 pm

I started with cotton totd, and although havent really ever followed the fashions on here and havent ever bought a nappy new except for my recent ebay pockets which are only about £4 each anyway, everything has been preloved, i loved using fleece over the winter and made it myself, and have gone from fitteds to pockets to fitteds and back to pockets, but only really when alesha has changed shape and it wasnt working, did try wool but just couldnt afford to get more than a couple bits so it never really worked for us, i have had a LOT of nappies for her but have always sold to buy more and maybe only a couple times used money from my bank rather than paypal, when i have a 2nd bubba it will all by workhouses nappies, except if i make my own (this is my weakness - fabrics) as not really any of the wham stuff fitted alesha well for very long yet the nappies i made always seem to fit well and last for hours and well since she has been dry for the last few days i think our nappy days are over for now :cry: as she uses sposies at night :oops: xx

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:35 pm

megansmummy wrote:The circle of nappies

ETA i might do a newborn stash piccie at some point as long as people promise not to laugh at it!!

yes do one a newborn stash is super exciting :D as long as it works doesn't cost the earth and you can use them that is the most important thing about cloth :D

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:37 pm

the only thing that really winds me up about the trends is that it can mean you buy nappies at a high price to try them, then sell them a few months later and lose a load on them. Something like BG have a fairly consistent resale value as people always want those. I have bought some gorgeous wool and custom nappies and am very happy with them, but part of the decision to buy them was because I thought I'd be able to sell them on for at least 50% of the original cost, therefore to me they work out not much different in price iyswim, when I find that a nappy I thought was worth £20 is only worth £10 that's a bit annoying, but as I've said before - you can't put a price on the fun element ;-)

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:44 pm

Miss_Purple wrote:the only thing that really winds me up about the trends is that it can mean you buy nappies at a high price to try them, then sell them a few months later and lose a load on them. Something like BG have a fairly consistent resale value as people always want those. I have bought some gorgeous wool and custom nappies and am very happy with them, but part of the decision to buy them was because I thought I'd be able to sell them on for at least 50% of the original cost, therefore to me they work out not much different in price iyswim, when I find that a nappy I thought was worth £20 is only worth £10 that's a bit annoying, but as I've said before - you can't put a price on the fun element ;-)

me too :cry: another reason i'm not buying anymore fittedsuntil I change my mind again :oops: to much money down the drain although I find any weenotion nappy holds it's value well but im guessing they are reasonable to begin with for a fitted :-?

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat