hf1

Are there trends/fashions in the cloth nappy world?

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Are there trends/fashions in the cloth nappy world?

Postby HighlandMum » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:02 pm

I would like to see your bumps stash pic Tory, im always interested to see what other mums to be have got :)

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:09 pm

I agree there are definitely trends.. .in the few months i've been on this forum it was itti's then DnFs and then GM's i'd say, and now a move towards pockets.

Would I use them without the prettiness? Yes. With DS i never found the whams, i had 15 bamboozles (before colours were available) 4 ME wraps and that's it. And it lasted us 3 years with no problems.

I have a couple of pretties, and to be honest i wish i didn't. It makes me feel ill when i think of how much they cost, and when i think i could have bought x number of other nappies with the same amount.

I think we also get sucked in i other ways. eg i'd never use MF insert any more because she'd pee through them. but on holiday we had to use them, and you know what? they worked just fine.

Tory - can you post your nb stash list? i'd love to see what you've got in there should a number 3 arrive here.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Ok i will get a picture sorted then :)

Bumps stash consists of~

36 small unbleached indian prefolds
15 workhorse fitteds (small LL's, xs/s sandies etc)
4 thirsties duo's size 1 wraps
3 weehuggers size 1 wraps.

Thats it...it cost me NOTHING out of my bank account...fitteds were al pre-loved/treecycle and then i used the funds i got from selling Kierens nappies that we dont use anymore to get the other bits! :wine:

When she grows out of that she will just share what Kieren has...2 dozen infant prefolds, 2 dozen regular prefolds, 10 OBV goodmamas and 10 one size easyfit AIO's. she will need size 2 wraps and woolies but the woolies I view as clothing rather than nappy-ness iykwim?

Ah yes i need some wipes and fleece liners :)

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:27 pm

Tory thats a really decent stash - when they are littlies I dont really see the point in the fancy nappies - they are changed that often, really for me at that stage its nappies that do the job well thats important.

Can I admit to already having a little stash :oops: I have 5 of Annikas Teenyfits to add to this once we have our scan in a couple of weeks, and I will add some bamboo prefolds, and I think that will be it really, apart from knitting lots, but that will mainly be from my wool stash I would think...

6 cotton tots bots
6 dizzy diapers
12 small cotton prefolds
1 small FB (From Tanya)

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:36 pm

I totally agree with Sadie on newborn nappies - I only got into fancy fluff when DD was 4 months or so, and the really nice ones only since she was about 8 months.

DH and I are talking about TTC for no 2 after Christmas and I already have my first two newborn FnS from Tanya :oops:

I just couldn't resist them!

Other than that I will most likely go for BG AIO XS as they worked well for us last time, and also Kissaluvs or something similar - I still have wraps from last time and will use wool next time too. We can hire newborn nappies for about 50p a week per nappy so I may well do that to pad my stash out a bit tbh. Ooh, how exciting - thinking about newborn fluff :-)

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:44 pm

I went completely OTT with Jake's newborn stash and it lasted all of 3 weeks. I wish I hadn't got so many overall or so many fancy ones. Although, I did get most of the money I spent on them back again, so his Ittis have cost next to nothing out of the bank account.

If I was to do the newborn stash thing again, I would get lots of bimbles and bambeasies and a few wraps.

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:13 pm

megansmummy wrote:Do you think that there are trends/fashions in the cloth nappy world? Or do you really go with what works/functionality? Or a combination of both? Do you think cloth nappies are a fashion item rather than anything else? I was thinking about peoples in countries that have no alternative BUT to use cloth nappies?

Slightly off topic here but which countries were you thinking of that have no alternative but to use cloth nappies?

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:25 pm

I guess not the same 3rd world ones that are given free formula out of hospital... That's globalisation for you. I think Tory's point was more any countries where people can't afford the luxury of having a cloth nappy that looks pretty and paying for that design value then, compared to something that plain and simple in form and function.

The only comment I have is that people seem to think form and function has to be compromised for something to look good and I maintain that's not true. Good design means form follows function, even enhances it. There's no difference in function whether a fitted nappy is dyed or left plain ecru. The only thing I tend to do trend wise has to do with colour and pattern really though just because that's where my interest is visually.

It's interesting though seeing people's motivations for using cloth. For me it's the chemicals in sposie nappies and the waste produced from disposable ssort of sickens me really.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:36 pm

beffys wrote:I think Tory's point was more any countries where people can't afford the luxury of having a cloth nappy that looks pretty and paying for that design value then, compared to something that plain and simple in form and function.

Thank you beth, this was exactly what i mean :) ...i would imagine there are plenty of people here in the UK that use cloth becuase they cannot afford disposables..perhaps i didnt word that bit right!!

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat