hf1

Are there trends/fashions in the cloth nappy world?

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Are there trends/fashions in the cloth nappy world?

Postby northernruth » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:45 pm

Soupdragon wrote:Absolutely there are trends. I think even in the short time that I've been a member of the forum there's been a move towards fitteds and away from pockets.

Is this why I can't sell any of my pockets then?? :giggle:

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:49 pm

Definately trends and fads in the nappy world - I seemed to be sucked in to every new thing and had to try at least one.

However, we started with Bambino Mio and had the wraps worked for us then I wouldnt have went looking for alternatives and would have stuck with the plain old prefolds. But, when I found pretty wraps (Tots Bots Strawberries was my favourite) that was it, game over for plain white prefolds and wraps :giggle:

In saying that, this time around I hope I dont get into the latest nappy must haves just as much - Im hoping because I can make my own woolies that fitteds and pretty wool will do the job, and that I stick to plain functional nappies that work (who am I kidding) :lookround:

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:57 pm

northernruth wrote:
Soupdragon wrote:Absolutely there are trends. I think even in the short time that I've been a member of the forum there's been a move towards fitteds and away from pockets.

Is this why I can't sell any of my pockets then?? :giggle:

Aye, don't take it personally, Ruth. :wink:

Sadie - I can make nappies and knit. I have no reason to do more than buy yarn and material. Does that stop me? :hohoho:

My avatar
sophie2198
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby sophie2198 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:58 pm

There definately are fashions /trends in the cloth nappy world , BUT i still would have used cloth anyway even if it wasnt for the wahms......i didnt actually know about wahms , other than weenotions when i was looking into using cloth on my newborn baby boy. I did my research after he was born as wasnt interested before :oops: , so thats why it took 5 months to get him into cloth! :roll:

I was that determind to start using cloth (with virtually no money to buy them) that i was going to buy terries and platic pants just until i could afford proper nappies! I got lucky with an ad i had on freecylcle though....got given 12 EUC medium fuzzi's with 24 inserts , 1 MEOS and 1 wrap , and that was it - i was away - and converted instantly!

I built up a gorgeous stash that in the end had no plain nappies , all bright bov , minkee , etc but it was all stuff that worked for H - holdens landings , wnnl , ff , upsy daisy - i wouldnt have a 'fashionable' stash of stuff that didnt work for my son!

I NEVER got sucked into the whole fluffandstuff , dunk n fluff , goodmamma's hype that alot of ppl did as they just didnt do it for me really , plus im not prepared to part with £20+ for 1 day nappy :oops:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:17 pm

Yeah there are definate trends - I've seen them on here since joining & it did make me want to try some of them too such as WN which I never liked so just stuck with what worked - WN fit lovely now though :wink:

I looked into cloth before DS1 was born as I knew I didn't want to use pampers and the like & I bought Bambino Mios & kushies AIOs so I was definately not seduced by fancy nappies :giggle: .

I do think that once you start using cloth though, it can become a bit of a fashion thing for some but that's because it's out there! I imagine that most clothies would still be so even if it were just basic stuff around :)

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:23 pm

I think there are trends, for sure. I started out using Bambino mios and they were terrible, then moved on to tots bots bamboozles as they worked a lot better. So i would have stayed using cloth without the prettys. However... I came online to ask a few questions about washing and strip washing and ended up spending £100 on WNs that are now sat in a drawer because I just can't use pockets or AIO's on dan. They just leak. Fitteds and wraps, or wool which I prefer but wraps work just as well, are the best combo for dan. I don't like ittis either, they just leak and the suede cloth makes him sore. DnFs I really love as they fit him so well but I still feel :shock: at the prices of some nappies

My avatar
wytch
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby wytch » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:31 pm

charlibunny wrote:I use what works. BUT saying that there do seem to be trends, especially on here. When i 1st joined it was all weenotions, then it went to holdens landings, then eveyone went mad for dunk and fluff and now it seems there is an easyfit trend too! But lets face it Annika is to blame for the last one..... :lol:

yup i noticed that too. like the flongie trend not to long ago.

Before the tree i only knew about mio prefolds, tots, kushies and motherease onesize and i still wanted to use cloth and got a BTP mio set which we still use. since being on here the prety wham nappies and the fleece and wool well its bad bad bad for my bank! but does make me show my cloth off rather then just get on with it if you get me. So yes there is deffo trends in the cloth world and even more so if your on the tree i think.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:32 pm

I'm sure there are trends, but I haven't been around long enough to really experience them (only been on this site since January). I had already decided to use cloth before I ever knew anything about the nappies that were available - I think I had heard of TotsBots, BG and LL, and I knew that Blueberries were 'posh' nappies :giggle:

Someone suggested I join this site as there was more choice for sale (I think that was when I had first heard about WNs and wanted to pick up a couple preloved) and the rest is history...

I never would have got as into my designer pretties, wool and WAHM clothing, etc if I hadn't found this site - that was an incredibly expensive suggestion!

As stupid as it might sound though I have treated it more like a hobby, looking out for the stuff I want preloved, designing and ordering customs and WAMH clothing. I have spent a lot of money, but I've really enjoyed it, and plan to sell or reuse most of what I have so I figure it's worth it. I can afford it, and before I had DD I easily spent the same amount on clothes and accessories for myself, which I haven't done since she was born as I want to lose weight first.

I would still have used them if boring white nappies were all that was available, but I'm not sure I'd like to go back to that now I know what else is out there. We are planning to have another baby in future and if we have a boy I think we'll be much more likely to use plainer nappies, for me it's a girly thing to have pretties :-)

Time will tell though lol!

Ruth - you aren't alone - my fitteds aren't moving either - I just think everyone is skint so no-one is buying anything...

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:33 pm

I never did get on the flongie wagon, I'm not a fan on the feel of fleece, if it catches on my skin it makes me :puke:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat