My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Why do you use cloth?

Postby Shevi » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:17 pm

Why did you start?
why did you continue?
Can you see yourself going back to Sposies?
In which situations would you revert back to sposies? either temporarily or permenantly?

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Why do you use cloth?

Postby Shevi » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:50 pm

Why did you start?
the thought of sposies was never nice, but i always thought the only option was terry squares and soaking in smelly bucket...not to mention the large pot of boiling nappies on the stove that i had heard about, so Taneli was in Sposies. We chucked out so many that we had to get a second bin from the council. That repulsed me, but i didn't know that there was an alternative. Taneli also used to out wee sposies on a nightly basis, have poo leaks all the time (scrawny legs) have exploding pampers that left him covered in jelly crystals. After Boo was born i was on the BC 'Buying for your baby' board (which i love and have just realise i have neglected for too long!!) and poeple were talking about cloth and how it isn't the terry squares that i thought...so i went to take a look on the 'cloth nappy forum'.
I was very very sceptical. Boo had rashes all the time, sposies leaked all the time, and they smelled vile, but yet all i had in my head was how awful terry squares and plastic pants are as thats what i had heard all the time from my mum, aunts, grandmas etc etc.
Everyone convinced me that cloth was fab...so i bought a trial pack from twinkle. and i was in love instantly!
for a while it was all about the reliability, but i have now got to the stage where i realise that i can have it all, a very very reliable, and also beautiful nappy.

why did you continue?My nappies almost never leak. dont explode. never cause rashes...and are gorgeous...i couldn't ask for more.
I did think that they money saving was going to be a bonus...but i'm not sure it will every happen!!!! tho i did make a saving on wipes within weeks.
So - a little enviromental, a lot lazy (taking out that bin was foul), but mostly i find cloth to be a superior product in every way...its obvious really, a disposible biro is not as good as a proper fountain pen, a paper plate or plastic cup is not like china or glass...so why is cloth any different?

nope...cant see why i would on a permanent basis

In which situations would you revert back to sposies? either temporarily or permenantly?
i have used sposies and would again when Boo gets a bad rash and i want to slap on huge amounts of cream, also for holiday where there are no wahsing facilities, or no space for cloth, also for nights on holiday when there is some space...but not enough. if i was away and leaving kids with my mum for more than 3 days (not fair to ask her to wash)...and if i had a new baby and a C section it would have to be in sposies for a few weeks as i wouldn't be able to bend down to the washing machine!!!!

My avatar
joodel
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby joodel » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:03 am

Why did you start?
Mainly envorinmental and cost reasons. We were living in the UK, but returning to SA to have our baba. I'd always thought cloth would be better environmentally and cost-wise than sposies, but was convinced with all the research I did after we fell pregnant with Stuart. The cloth nappy situation in SA at that stage (2004) was almost non-existant (apart from terry squares and horrible plastic wraps), so bought some totsbots and terry squares in the UK plus ME wraps and made my own fleece liners. I didn't really come across the huge range of fitted, pocket and AIO nappies available now (sounds like it was in the dark ages-only end 2004!!! :lol: )
Why did you continue?
It was easy. And, as Shevi said, also somewhat therapeutic to fold those white squares into their shapes to be ready to fit when baba needed changing. I love the feel of cloth-bummed babies (they feel so much more solid around the hips than with sposies) and I s'pose there was a part of me that enjoyed the "What, you use cloth, are you mad?" reactions of my friends :mrgreen: Now that I have fitted nappies I'm enjoying it even more! I do find myself saving my nappy folding till the evenings so I can do them properly in front of the TV, and yes, I do find it somehow therapeutic :wink: ! Wish I could start all over again, as I would buy more varieties of fitted nappies to try out (if we were still in the UK!). And also would try more funky/fun designs and colours to WOW my skeptical friends :hohoho: !
Never permanently, no.
When either of them has a runny tum and I can't keep up with the laundry.
When we are away on a short hols, or visiting my in-laws for a week.
Judy x

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:24 am

Why did you start?

The cost mostly, disps are so expensive, then when I really thought about it the environmental impact was a bit of a shock and the cuteness was up there too.

why did you continue?

At the very begining I'd spent alot of money and felt I had to give them a good go before I dismissed them, they worked really well, looked great and I fell in love and got addicted.

No. When I used a small pack for William when we were in hospital I hated the way they felt and how thin they were so nope no going back.

IF we were going on a long holiday and didn't have access to a washing machine, really cant think of any other reason really. Even if they have a icky tummy - I dont revert to disp I know if I had a yucky bottom I'd prefer soft cloth to paper - but thats just me :roll:

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:57 am

Why did you start?
i started researching cloth nappies whilst pregnant with bella, and saw just how much money we could save. hmmm, not so sure that is the case anymore :hohoho:

why did you continue?
we used sposies for the first 6 weeks out of hospital 'cos she was tiny and i needed time to get used to having a baby. they leaked every time she did a poo! nasty newborn pooey mess. :shock: :shock: i was surprised by how well cloth nappies contain all the mess. i won't say they never leak, but it is so infrequent, and more down to user-error (bad mummy not changing enough) that it's not an issue. they are also lovely for her bum and look great.

Can you see yourself going back to Sposies?In which situations would you revert back to sposies? either temporarily or permenantly?
we may temporarily do it again if we go on holiday - if there's no washing facilities we'd have to. we might also put a new baby in them for a few days after birth, depending on how the birth went. but never full-time again.

also, i'm really lucky. my dh loves them and changes most of the nappies and will not go anywhere near sposies any more. he even told his mum that under no circumstances was she to buy sposies to put on bella. so grandmas have to learn the complexities of night nappies if they want to have bella for any length of time.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:18 am

Why did you start? it started when i came accross them on the internet - they looked so cute!! i got a few diddy diapers then bought some preloved nappies and wraps on eBay. i planned to use them just part time, but by the time DD had arrived, id already chosen to use them full time! the reasons being a bit of everything - part environmental, part money saving, alot of cuteness factor, and....

why did you continue?...i didnt know much about sposies really (except the fortune theyd cost!) but when i heard how chemical they were i decided there was no way id use them - at least not unless they were eco-friendy ones.

Can you see yourself going back to Sposies? there are days when i think..."hmmm...my day might be sighty easier if i used sposies, i woudnt have to sort nappies, wash or dry them, pick them up round the house, try to find nippas and wraps, and Mollys bum woud be smaller under clothes...!"

but i would never go back to sposies full time - i love cloth so much :D :D

In which situations would you revert back to sposies? either temporarily or permenantly? if i was to go camping (as we do every so often) with Moy, id bring sposies!! nature babycare ones, that can be burnt on the fire or buried if absoutey necessary. or on holiday where i dont have washing machine access. MIL and FIL use sposies when they have her (and they each bought a pack of pampers to make sure i woudnt give them cloth!) even though i gave them bumgenius and wetbags! oh well!

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:49 am

Why did you start?
Because I could see how much rubbish was being created and being thrown out by childminding children nappies so environmental and also thought that I could break even on nappy changing or have free nappies compared with disps.

With Benjamin there was no question what would be covering his bottom from birth!

why did you continue?
There are days when I wonder why I continue with childminded children being such a few nappies each week now in comparison to Ben's usage, but I guess 6 nappies a week is still 6 not going to landfill.

With Ben there has been no question that cloth has been superior in leaks and containment (until we got to the 5 month poo / wee leak stage which has been sorted with weaning) I also think he reacts to disps, and perhaps that is how his nasty long lasting but now gone rash started.

NEVER - I don't even know what size number Ben would be in right now.

I was thinking as and when we take a holiday with a flight we might have to use sposies, but then remembered I have g diapers and by then he might fit them, so if a g diaper flushable insert counts as a sposie, then yes, but then would also use the prefolds to stuff them with probably and have the g inserts just incase. Taking as much cloth as I could carry in my luggage, probably even wool longies :lol: (or was also thinking on a flight just to use longies and night nappies depending!)

My avatar
pinkydinkydoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby pinkydinkydoo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:39 pm

Why did you start?
To be honest when i was pregnant with ds i did'nt give dispoable nappies a second thought, i intended to use cloth straight away, i'm not sure as to my reasons why but i just knew that cloth was the way to go. I bough a pack of disposables for when he was born but i was lucky because the maternity unit supply cotton bottoms so we got to use those instead :D

why did you continue?
Because they were easy and i was used to them. I like how funky they are and i love to show them off too :lol:

No, i have so many lovly cloth nappies it would be silly not to use them

DD wears disposables when she is in hospital because they need to be weighed at each change but once the nurses are happy dd always goes back into cloth. I use disposables when we go on holiday somtimes but not always, it really comes down to what type of holiday we have.

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:56 pm

Why did you start?
Our council started collecting our bin every fortnight and I hated the thought of 140 smelly nappies sitting in my yard! Then my mum who had been visiting her sister in England suggested cloth - I looked into it, bought a Bambino Mio Trial pack and then felt a bit unsure. DH insisted that it had been bought so it was going to be used, so when Evie came home from hospital he put her in her first cloth nappy and wrap, so she was in cloth from when she was about 12 hours old.

why did you continue?
I was really surprised by how they worked so well - even using prefolds! I remember just the one massive leaked #2 and nothing could have contained that! Now, its because they are so much better at their job plus they look and feel so much better; environmental issues too - I love the fact that Im not throwing at least 200 nappies a month to landfill, and that Evie isnt wearing plastic and chemical filled nappies. I also love the fact that most relatives and friends still think Im loopy to even consider it, but I havent given in just to shut them up - I would say that their comments have made me more determined to use cloth.

Nope, just wont happen.

In an emergency - like Evie has been in sposies at night for almost a week because we were waiting on her new night nappies to arrive, or like the few days we were without a washing machine and I ran out of cloth, or when we were on hols and the washing machine didnt work, it rained and there were no drying facilities. Permanently? Cant see if ever happening.

Sadie xx

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat