hf1

EWW maggots :-O

My avatar
purplehearts
Clothie
Clothie

EWW maggots :-O

Postby purplehearts » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:30 pm

I am so sorry (and embarassed) to post this, and I have to warn those of you that are easily grossed out may not want to read on....

Ok so during the summer, i have problems with fruit flies in my house, mainly in my kitchen which is where I keep my nappy bucket.
Anyway, a couple of times since the weather has warmed up, I've found maggots in the cloth nappies!!!!! So so so gross....
It's freaked me out so much I'm back to using sposies, as I just can't face seeing another nappy full of disgusting, squirming maggots... :nonono:
I've had a google about fruit flies, and it seems the life cycle of a fruit fly is very short, so washing nappies more frequently wouldn't help (I washed them a maximum of 2 days anyway). I'm also meticulous about hygiene, especially in my kitchen and bathroom.

Is there a way I can stop this happening again? I want to start using cloth again but I still feel traumatised!!
Thanks ladies

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: EWW maggots :-O

Postby megansmummy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:32 pm

:( that is gross, poor you!

I would move the nappy bucket out of the kitchen for starters if thats where the fruit flies tend to be more...and also does your nappy bucket have a tight fitting lid?

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:34 pm

I may be wrong but I presume the flies have to get into the nappies to lay their eggs, therefore if they are in a bucket with a tight fitting lid they wold not be able to lay them.

eta crossed posts with tory x

My avatar
sezzlebum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby sezzlebum » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:59 pm

oh no! i think id cry :hug:

id agree with the others, use a tight fitting lid and remove the bin from the kitchen....

:x flies :x

My avatar
KittyMay
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby KittyMay » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:15 pm

Ohh no poor you. We have had them in our wheelie bin and that was bad enough :puke:
Like the others have said, have you got a tight fitted lid on the bucket? Also does the sun get to that area of the kitchen the bucket is, as that will make the bucket smell more and attract those pesky flies more.
As I said I really sympathise with you and hope you find a solution.
In fact when I was looking for info about getting rid of them from the wheelie bin, one council actually stated if you use disposable nappies, switch to cloth, which I thought was kinda cool, apart from the fact we use cloth and still have them there. :x
Wendyx

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:25 pm

Do you rinse the poo off your nappies before they go in the bucket. That might help too. Then there wouldn't be anything to attract the fruit flies to. I used to work in an office with a fruit fly problem (people used to leave apple cores in the plant pots :roll: ) I just went round with fly spray when it got bad. If you do it consecutively you should be able to break the breeding cycle.

My avatar
wytch
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby wytch » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:35 pm

I would milton/bleach out the bucket and around the seal to make sure it super clean. rinse most of the poo off down the loo and make sure the lid is on tight on the bucket and i would move the bucket out of the kitchen or put it under the sink cupboard with some fly strip in the cupboard.

My avatar
MumOf1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby MumOf1 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:58 pm

Ew, hope you manage to find a solution. I've had them in my wheelie bin before and that was bad enough. Hope this doesn't mean you have to stop using cloth permenantly.

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:29 pm

our nappy bin is usually in the downstairs toilet, we have fruit fly issues and omg they drive me insane. i bin anything that flies touch.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat