hf1

Not sure what to buy for newborn

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Not sure what to buy for newborn

Postby happytails » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:10 pm

We have a right mixture. DD is a heavy wetter (but i think Soph is worse by a mile :lol: :hug: )

Some we have are Fluff n Stuff, Dunk n Fluff, Puddlekins, hollow oak etc. Mainly WAHM nappies ive picked up off classifieds. We are going to use fitteds with wool/fleece most of the time. Think we have about 5 pockets/AIOs for bubs as TBH they didnt work too well for DD.

Oh got a few diddy diapers too (3 i think) as ive read good reviews on these!

Ooooh looking forward to finding out what you are having myself :giggle:

Sarah xx

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:00 am

I know what you mean about being used to dealing with a heavy wetter. Iris' nappies are fairly enourmous, heavy duty looking bits of kit and a teeny tiny cotton nappy just looks useless in comparison. :giggle: Still, I'm hopeful Bean won't be heavy wetting. It wouldn't be fair to have two super-soakers! :-? I've also decided that Bub will be a 10lb at birth baby. Iris was an ounce under 9lb at birth and this one is already measuring a couple of weeks ahead. I have to go for a diabetes test soon, actually. So I've not bothered getting too many tiny nappies; we're gonna be screwed if he is small!

Anyway, Bean's stash so far is:

6 xs Sandy's
4 small Wee Notions Northern Lights
2 medium Itti Bitti AIO (I find these tiny, hence the mediums!)
2 small Dunk N Fluff
2 small made by me (Darling Diapers - same pattern as a Dunk N Fluff)
2 Baby Beehinds OS
1 BubuBébé OS
3 Piddle Poddle OS
Oh, and I also have a medium Flutterby Fluff night nappy for him - ready for once he's in to night nappies.

Then I have 5 small and 1 newborn soaker - I won't buy more until he's in larger sizes. I don't need too many small ones as they will dry very quickly here in summer. And 1 small Blueberry wrap. I need to get another wrap or two, really. Oh, and I have a medium WN wrap to use over night nappies, too.

I also have enough fabric to make a further 6 nappies using the Darling Diapers pattern. I'm just trying to decide whether to make smalls or mediums. I'm going to use embroidered minkee nappy cuts, so I'm leaning towards making mediums and getting some other, plainer smalls.

The Ittis are my attempt to buy non-fitteds. I know I should try again with pockets but, again, having had a very heavy wetter it's hard to convince myself that they will work for us! :roll:

My avatar
greengoddess
Clothie
Clothie

Postby greengoddess » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:19 pm

I'm using a combination of prefolds and small ittis SIOs on my five week old.

I love the bamboo prefolds (size 1) - they're a little large at the moment (bub was premmie - still hasn't reached his EDD!) - but they're fine with wraps. In order to save money, I'm also using many of the inserts that came with other (larger) pocket nappies I bought when bub was predicted to be 9-10lbs (he arrived weighing 6lbs6oz), and am just folding them and adding a microfleece liner and laying them in the wraps - they are working perfectly!

In terms of wraps, I use Thirsties small wraps (love), Duos (like - but I can see they'll be better when he's bigger) and Lollipop xs wraps (SUPER favourite). I'm also putting my Small Bummis superbrites into circulation, though they are also a little big at the moment, but we've had no leaks so far.

I haven't tried fitted nappies, but at this stage, the prefolds are working well for us. We also love the ittis!

My avatar
mrspumpkin
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mrspumpkin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:01 pm

not much help as i mainly used little lambs- cotton and bamboo

i had one wee notions one size- which has been really good- fitted her well at 10lbs and still fits at nearly age two (and until recently my ds age 3 was wearing it- but it's a bit stretched now). it's got a minky inner and outer- which was nice and soft on her legs.

My avatar
kt022010
Clothie
Clothie

Postby kt022010 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:32 pm

Think I have all of our NB nappies ready now...

5 small sandys
5 cotton tots bots
5 similar to the tots bots made by me
5 smart nappies (newborn) with extra inserts
20ish prefolds
5 Rikki wraps
2 airflow wraps

and i think I want some wool...

Also 15 small fuzzi bunz, but they were a little bit big on DS at birth, who was 7lb10.

My avatar
Keep it Real
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Keep it Real » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:43 pm

Lil Joeys are fab nappies made just for newborns. I'll be getting them in stock very soon!!

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat