hf1

"I wish I knew." Just starting out on Cloth Nappy journey.

My avatar
MegAndMe
Clothie
Clothie

Re: "I wish I knew." Just starting out on Cloth Nappy journey.

Postby MegAndMe » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:31 am

Wow, some great advice already. I was just starting to realise that the decision is not as easy as cloth vs disposibles, what with the many, many options there are in cloth nappies. Now reading your responses I can see that there's options in cloth I haven't even imagined yet let alone experienced enough to be able to make an informed choice! It's quite daunting at the beginning isn't it!?

I'm already feeling quite addicted to cloth and the adventure of trying to get it right... I just hope my enthusiasm can last the distance! I can really emphasise with your last statement there littlesez, I feel like I am dithering, I'm going to jump in and start trialling myself - the two week nappy bucket trial is just not long enough to choose a 'system' - although it sounds like this is not the best way to go anyway! Over to the classifieds for me I think...

Keep the tips coming, loving reading them all x

P.s. any of you tried the new version tots bots easyfit? I have been trying an original easyfit but wondered if the new version is much improved?

My avatar
MegAndMe
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MegAndMe » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:07 am

So I was just browsing the review for Tots Bots Easyfit V2 and came across someone mentioning hosing off a soiled nappy in the loo using a shower attachment... That sounds like a much better plan than my current method of attempting to rinse it in the flush of the toilet...

Any tips like that - things that make the experience easier would be VERY gratefully recieved! ;-) It might all seem like common sense and second nature to you guys, but it would have taken me an age to work that out on my own!

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:17 am

You don't need to rinse. ;) I bung all nappies in the dry pail, then cold rinse, 60c wash with a half dose of detergent and, occasionally, do a final cold rinse. BF poo I just ignored; it washes out really, really easily. When DD got a little older anything substantial rolls off the fleece liners we use in fitteds (no pockets/AIOs here). I don't worry about every single little thing left on a nappy - that's why I wash at 60c.

My avatar
MegAndMe
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MegAndMe » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:32 am

Soupdragon wrote:You don't need to rinse. ;) I bung all nappies in the dry pail, then cold rinse, 60c wash with a half dose of detergent and, occasionally, do a final cold rinse. BF poo I just ignored; it washes out really, really easily. When DD got a little older anything substantial rolls off the fleece liners we use in fitteds (no pockets/AIOs here). I don't worry about every single little thing left on a nappy - that's why I wash at 60c.

Seriously??!! :shock: That's fab news! :D
Will it not clog up the machine somehow?

I've been advised:
rinse off poo
dry pail
cold rinse
40c wash with 1/2 dose detergent, no softener

We're in quite a hard water area here. No tumble dryer so everything line/airer dried. BF baby, medium wetter... can't think if there's more relevant info in case it makes a difference... :oops:

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:40 am

My machine has yet to bung up. :giggle:

Definitely no softener - that reduces the absorbency of your nappies as it coats the fabric. The exception that proves the rule is Bold 2 in 1 as it's clay based. 40c or 60c is personal preference in the main, but 60c is always advisable if your LO has a bout of thrush or anything that might linger without a hotter wash.

My avatar
vampiredreams
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby vampiredreams » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:45 am

I 'poo-flick' what I can down the loo
Rinse in as cold as poss in machine after dry pailing it for the day
1Tbsp of bio powder, wash at 60
2 x rinses until no bubbles
And I too line dry/rad dry as no tumble dryer...but i do monthly do a trip to launderette to do a strip wash and tumble to soften

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:50 pm

yes i would def flick or shake of any solid poo down the toilet first, but anything runny or sticky i would do a cold rinse like pp's have already said.

OH yes and if you get any stains you can "sun them out" this is a fab clothy trick. Put the nappies out in the sun or even on a windowsill and the sun bleaches out poo stains :D

What nappies have you got so far?

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:55 pm

MegAndMe wrote:So I was just browsing the review for Tots Bots Easyfit V2 and came across someone mentioning hosing off a soiled nappy in the loo using a shower attachment... That sounds like a much better plan than my current method of attempting to rinse it in the flush of the toilet...

Any tips like that - things that make the experience easier would be VERY gratefully recieved! ;-) It might all seem like common sense and second nature to you guys, but it would have taken me an age to work that out on my own!

that could have been me, yes def rinse solids off (sorry soupdragon) i mainly use easyfits here with my 2 and thru not rinsing poo off first i've burnt 3 outlet motors on my machine! i just got a simple shower attatchment plugged onto the tap in the downstairs loo and hosed off b4 chucking in the nappy bin. sorry but poop does have a habit of lingering in the machine imo, the amount of preloved veg i found around the seal in the past is unreal. i also find less staining happens (we can't use stay dry liners)

My avatar
MegAndMe
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MegAndMe » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:30 pm

that could have been me, yes def rinse solids off (sorry soupdragon) i mainly use easyfits here with my 2 and thru not rinsing poo off first i've burnt 3 outlet motors on my machine!

That's what I was thinking - a friend of mine works for Miele UK and has told me you should do a 90c wash with empty machine every 6 weeks or so to get rid of the build up of "human fats" from normal washing so the thought of runny BF poo going through the machine seemed very wrong!

Seems like there's as many options for washing as for type of nappy - I'll have to trial and error a few I think...

i just got a simple shower attatchment plugged onto the tap in the downstairs loo and hosed off b4 chucking in the nappy bin. sorry but poop does have a habit of lingering in the machine imo, the amount of preloved veg i found around the seal in the past is unreal.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry about "preloved veg"! :giggle:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat