hf1

"I wish I knew." Just starting out on Cloth Nappy journey.

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: "I wish I knew." Just starting out on Cloth Nappy journey.

Postby emmavmorgan » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:35 pm

I kept an old washing up bowl in the bathroom and any bits that didn't flick off in the loo I would blast off with the shower head into the bowl and then just chucked the nappy in the pail and the contents of the bowl down the loo. I found that if I didn't rinse them clean I got terrible stinky build up in the washer and I would have to do a maintenance wash every week and I won't make you all :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: at the stuff I had to get out of the door seal :shock:
:wine:

My avatar
MegAndMe
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MegAndMe » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:57 pm

littlesez wrote:yes i would def flick or shake of any solid poo down the toilet first, but anything runny or sticky i would do a cold rinse like pp's have already said.

OH yes and if you get any stains you can "sun them out" this is a fab clothy trick. Put the nappies out in the sun or even on a windowsill and the sun bleaches out poo stains :D

Oooh, lovely tip, thanks!

What nappies have you got so far?

Well, I have two Tots Bots Easyfits v1's that I was given by a friend of a friend - quite impressed with absorbancy, fit, drying times, and love how daddy-friendly they are! This is a big issue for us - if I don't want to do every future nappy change myself it has to be as simple as a disposible for my DH! Have had a couple of leaks though :( Not sure if I put them on wrong those times or if it was 'wicking' from overtight vests?

I've just bought a few Itti's from the classifieds :oops: I know a lot of you have said they're not all they're cracked up to be, but I had a couple of SIO's on loan and fell a little bit in love with them... they're a good fit on Megan - she's a skinny minnie - still only 12lbs at 17 weeks (5 weeks prem), and we didn't even get a leak overnight. So I got a bargain price on a couple of SIO's and an AIO to try. Would like to try a Tutto too...

Others I have trialled in the 'bucket' and been impressed with so far:
Bumgenius v3 - like these - they seem like a good compromise between bulk, absorbancy, dry times, price, attractiveness, daddy-friendliness... Keeping an eye out for a v4
Close Pop In - these seemed to work really well, and have a nice feel, but are quite large on my little mite at the moment...
Bumgenius Flip - good concept and worked well, but struggling with the very plastic feel

I admit I'm keener on pockets and all in ones. I struggle a bit with wraps and prefolds... I think maybe I'm putting them on wrong as they always seem to leak. That coupled with the slight extra effort has swayed me to all in ones (anything for an easy life :roll: )

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:56 pm

sounds like your building a nice stash. :D

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:22 pm

yes daddy has a bad habit of not hosing the fluff, which drives me insane, not so bad for bf poo, although def get some sun on those, doesn't have to be a sunny day i find, i just put them on the line in day light, seems to work fine. when they start with the real food that's interesting.

i now realise how little taliesin must chew his food, for instance.....lol

ps... the v2 easyfits are even better

My avatar
lisi
Clothie
Clothie

Postby lisi » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Brilliant thread and I love reading everyone's tips and hints! I'd agree with finding nappies that work for you... I was part time cloth user with DD1 in Tots Bots but since I've discovered Itti bitti with DD2 we have converted completely -LOVE THEM!!! Talk to people on the forum... everyone has a useful experience to share!!!
xxx

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby knees_on » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:02 pm

Welcome and well done on your cloth decision.

One thing I would say is that you will find the system, for nappies and for washing, that works for you. And also don't be surprised if it evolves. Ittis are like marmite, people seem to love em or hate em! I loved the look and tried with my 6 week old and we just kept getting leaks and I gave up hope but since then she 'grew' into them to the point of going without a leak at night. That's what got us out of sposies at night.

I wet pailed for the first few weeks this time as well as DD1,2 & 3 and it was only after coming on here I switched to dry! Phew!! I used terries ans PLASTIC PANTS :shock: with DD1 (now 11) and a little with Ds and DD2 and then I found Bambino Mio which at the time was great after plastic pants but I wish I'd found something else as couldn't make it work with DD3 when she was tiny which put me off until she was 18 months :( Bought some more for DD4 and used them for 2 days before they cut off circulation in her legs and then DH practically ordered me to go buy as much fabric as I liked to start making them. Now I'm in fluff heaven and DD3&4 have been very happy with their new botty arrangements.

I'd also say don't be scared of the wool (aside from the aspects of addiction & cost!!!). I was so sceptical (as I was with fleece) but its true they work and are very scrummy :giggle:

Have fun :D

My avatar
MegAndMe
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MegAndMe » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:46 pm

lisi wrote: Talk to people on the forum... everyone has a useful experience to share!!!
xxx

Everyone has been mega helpful so far, and I have to admit CNT has become a new favourite haunt! More visits here today than babycentre, moneysavingexpert and facebook combined!! I confess I'm a bit of a forum lurker - I don't often feel I have much useful to add but you'll probably see a fair few questions as this is such a new world for me! :lookround:

Knees_on - Wowzers! you must have saved a small mountain from landfill! I admire your perserverence. I see your Abigail is almost the same age as my Megan (must get me a ticker!), she was born 2nd June.

So now I had made my decision to convert and have my own nappies on the way I shall have to be giving my nappy bucket trial back to the advisor so I will need to buy my own basic kit... any tips on nappy buckets/bins, wet bags, nappy cleanser, reusable wipes et al? Might save me any costly mistakes before I jump in feet first... :wink:

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:20 pm

Im still a newbie like you ( bubs is due 20th feb ) but I have been on here a while as these ladies are extremly adictive to talk to :hohoho: :hohoho:

Wetbags - Monkey foot wetbags are the ones that most ppl on here recomend. I have bought a large for dirty nappies out and about, and some small for my wipes
Wipes - I really like Luscious little somethings (lls) You can pick the size, and the fabrics, and the colours you want and they are all made by a wonderfull Work At Home Mum (WHAM) And they are cheeper than cheeky wipes and other mass produced ones as well
http://www.lusciouslittlesomethings.com/nappies.html
Wipe solution - I havent used any of this yet as dont have a bum to try it on :giggle: But Sheepish grins was recomended on here. It is cheeper than some others, and it smells just like baby powder.
HTH's

My avatar
MegAndMe
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MegAndMe » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:31 pm

red_dwarf wrote:Im still a newbie like you ( bubs is due 20th feb ) but I have been on here a while as these ladies are extremly adictive to talk to :hohoho: :hohoho:

Wetbags - Monkey foot wetbags are the ones that most ppl on here recomend. I have bought a large for dirty nappies out and about, and some small for my wipes
Wipes - I really like Luscious little somethings (lls) You can pick the size, and the fabrics, and the colours you want and they are all made by a wonderfull Work At Home Mum (WHAM) And they are cheeper than cheeky wipes and other mass produced ones as well
http://www.lusciouslittlesomethings.com/nappies.html
Wipe solution - I havent used any of this yet as dont have a bum to try it on :giggle: But Sheepish grins was recomended on here. It is cheeper than some others, and it smells just like baby powder.
HTH's

Congrats on the baby! May he or she bring you as much joy as our daughter has brought us x

Thanks for these suggestions, will go and have a look now... regarding the wipes, what is the difference between the fabrics and why are some fleece on one side, towelling on the other? The ones I have used in the trial are just like flannels really...

And another question... what are Flongies/Longies? I keep seeing them referred to but I can't find out what they are :oops:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat