New to reusables.advice needed

My avatar
eloquine
Clothie
Clothie

New to reusables.advice needed

Postby eloquine » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:54 pm

Hi Everyone

I have just borrowed a kit from my local council to try different types of nappies for my 6 week old lo and I think I'm already getting addicted! I just need a bit of advice on a couple of things. From the kit it seems I am getting on best with the tot bots easy fit and fuzzi bunz. Please can anyone advise me on any others similar to this that I might like?

Also I quite like the feel of the totbots softee but the whole thing seems to get soaked through. Is that what supposed to happen?

The main problem I have with any of the nappies is leakage around the legs. Is there a particular nappy I should try that would help prevent this or is there anything I could do with the nappies I've already got?

My lo is 6 weeks and breast fed so has rather runny poo so any advice on ways to prevent leakage or particular nappies to try is greatfully received!

Thanks

xx

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: New to reusables.advice needed

Postby zoeyboo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:33 pm

Hi there!

Welcome to the tree :cnthug: and to the very addictive world of cloth! :wave:

We have easyfits here they are fab! If you like those you could look at trying a Bumgenius they are similar.
Blueberry Sidesnaps (BBSS) are very good as are Wee Notions SS's, I'd avoid anything like those in One Size at this point, I just couldn't get mine to fit when he was small.

I've not heard of a Tots Softee, I think there is a Lollipop one though, this might be what you have ... I did try one but because they are made totally from Microfibre I found the wee just squeezes back out like a sponge so they weren't much good, same goes for Tots Fluffles or anything made of Microfibre, Bamboo is much better, the Tots Bamboozles are great, either the old type or new Stretchies, they will seem a little bulky on a 6 week old but he'll soon grow into them, Sz1 should last you a good while 18-20lb or so.

I found that 2 part nappies were best when Rufus was very small, infact it's only been the last 6 weeks or so that we've been using All-in-Ones and Pockets without leaking around the legs ... with runny newborn poo I did find that I was happier with 2 parters, the best wraps I have found are Thirsties Duo (you can get velcro or popper fastening) you can get these from Peachy Tots or Kittykins, they have gussets at the legs so really keep in those explosions! We've never had a leak with them. Little Lambs Bamboo are also a good option for basic nappies.

There are also lots and lots of 'Pretties' you can get with patterns or in lovely hand-dyed colours, again I'd look on the classifieds for these ... Dunk n Fluff, Holden's Landing and Fluff & Stuff are good brands to look out for.

Check out the Classifieds as you could pick up things to try very very cheaply.

Hope that helps, I'm sure some of the other ladies will be along with more suggestions soon!

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:41 pm

For leakage in the legs I think a 2 part nappy would be better. Two line of defence ;) Like a little lamb and wrap or tots bots bamboozle

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:12 pm

If something works for you great. sounds like fuzzi's and easyfits are well liked by lots of people. I agree for BF poo on little lambs and tots bots bamboozles I also liked terries :D

My avatar
rhiannon
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby rhiannon » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:58 pm

For fitteds I'd second little lambs they were great on my son when he was small but I also like Baby Beehinds too altho' he wore them when he was a bit bigger.

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:11 pm

:wave: Small bumgenius all in ones are very good on little ones, best buying a few nappies preloved and trying out different types to decide what works best. As someone said before birth to potty nappies don't usually fit that well on little ones so best to get sized nappies to begin with, you can always sell them in the classifieds later
:hug:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat