hf1

Do you think wetness = nappy rash?

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Do you think wetness = nappy rash?

Postby Miss_Purple » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:37 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:Wee on its own shouldn't cause nappy rash as unless there is infection it's sterile...

Wee in a nappy with build-up can as it reacts with the detergent left in the nappy...

Wee combined with poo causes horrible rashes

Being left in a soiled nappy too long (i.e. even for a few minutes in our case) especially if baby is teething causes the worst rashes in my experience but unfortunately you can't always tell when they've poo'd!

Soaking wet nappies can make Grace's skin sore and she's dreadful in unlined nappies because they seem to rub when wet... But all babies are different... Perhaps in unlined nappies you change more frequently too which might help I guess?

that's an interesting point about the poo Steph - DD has been using a potty for about 3 months now and does 99% of her poos in that, maybe that is one of the reasons why we don't have problems with rashes - maybe worth a try for anyone having problems - we just put her on the potty whenever we change her nappy and she seems able to hold her poo until then :-)

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:37 am

No I don't think so.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:42 am

Honistly i use liners to make cleaning up dirty nappies easier more than anything, Kieren is another that only has to be in a nappy for moments after soiling it and he will be red, its always very obvious when he poops so im lucky there but when he is teething the minute he poo's he is sore :(

My avatar
rhiannon
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby rhiannon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:10 pm

I think it's wipes and poo that cause nappy rash in my son especially some makes of disposable wipes!

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:41 pm

Definitely poo is the cause for my lil lady.
Her nightime nappies are almost always very wet by the morning and after 12 hours against her skin there's nothing to show for it.
However, add a poo into the mix and ther botty will flare up within no time :-? She's teething at the moment too, which is making it all 10x worse and last week after she did a poo during her morning sleep, she developed a blister on her bum from where the poo had been in contact with her skin :(
So currently we spend a lot of time nappy checking, particularly if she' going to be in a position that presses the nappy against her botty for any length of time (naps, car seat etc).
She also seems more prone to poo-induced nappy rash after eating peppers too, which is a right pain as she really loves them :roll:

Dooby x

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:21 am

Hmm interesting thread.
I agree about the womb thing but they aren't floating around in wee though.
I do worry about the wetness being uncomfortable more than anything but what I've found and know is that the urine mixed with poo turns quite toxic and definitely burns, we didn't know she had done a poo and it mixed with the urine (sorry tmi) and she now has actual sores on her bits like burn marks :cry: , she doesnt really get nappy rash but sometimes she gets red where the most wetness is, this is probably due to the type of wee e.g. teething.
So I suppose wetness isn't the problem but wee mixed with poo and very strong wee are all problems, I do find if she's been in a night nappy rather than disposable all night even with the stay dry liner in the drybees her bum gets quite red, this is going to be because of the urine rather than actual wetness I suppose, but it's all more down to comfort than anything, wet bums often wake babies up don't they or is that just pampers talking :roll:

Oh and yes the wee is sterile but that doesn't mean it wouldnt burn though surely, I remember when I had a little accident as a child and it used to sting my leg. (lovely image there)
Disposable wipes are horrible things, sorry but when I see people questioning why their child has nappy rash then use the wipes on the rash I wonder what they do think, but of course they use the expensive ones so they cant be bad. :roll: Sorry I'm going off on one now but I don't think any of these things help at all, and that includes a lot of 'nappy rash' creams
Again very interesting about the cleanin inbetween, we only use water and maybe sometimes she isn't fully clean, I may try adding something to the water and see if it helps.

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat