hf1

holidays

My avatar
redberry
Clothie
Clothie

holidays

Postby redberry » Sat May 03, 2008 3:42 pm

Ok so for some reason we have decided to go to a couple of music festivals over the summer months, the husband and oldest children are over the moon but I'm now starting to have doubts about having a 6/7 month old with us, has anyone from here done this before? I know that one of the festies normally has a nappy hire service there so that makes things alittle easier but as yet haven't heard back from the other one we are going to so don't know if we are going to have to travel home with a weekends worth of nappies in the car or wether to bite the bullet and go in disp. ones - something I'm really against using.

So what experiences have you had with holidays and real nappies? and if I can't face the poo smell from the boot for a 4 hr journey do any of you know which are the least environmentally damaging disposable nappies that you can get? are there some that are eco friendly after being thrown away rather than just being so in the making?

Sarah

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: holidays

Postby Annette » Sat May 03, 2008 8:16 pm

For a weekend, I would definately use cloth. We have a large Swaddlebees wet bag which can hold loads of nappies and when closed does not smell - we have happily driven home long distances with it in the boot no problem.

In terms of eco nappies - one of the problems is that even those which are supposed to be bio-degradeable would struggle to break down in landfill sites surrouded by lots of other non degradeable stuff so unless you can put them in your compost bin, I think it is difficult to find something that is truly eco on disposal.

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Sat May 03, 2008 9:25 pm

I agree, we've oftern used a wet napy bag for a weekend away with no smells.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sat May 03, 2008 9:33 pm

I've used a large I think it is Junior Joy wetbag with no problems for a weekend away more than once.

If you really can't face it, I think something like g diapers would be a good alternative with their flushable inserts - don't know if the mothercare smart nappy is similiar but the weenies or ennies or something like that from spirit of nature are very similiar.

My avatar
JennyWren
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby JennyWren » Thu May 08, 2008 10:03 am

never done it myself but i know some people take fast drying cloth, like fuzzis with microfibre cloths or terrys, handwash and dry them off the guy ropes!! i've used both these types of cloth and have to say they work great and do dry very fast in the sunshine!! of course pul wraps dry in a flash too.
i have used weenes with microfibre cloths and they're great. like annette says they sell the disposable pads for them too.
have fun, sounds great!!
ps have to confess that we've used disps for short times away - nature babies from waitrose.., they're ok in that they're bleach and chlorine free but they don't biodegrade.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat