hf1

Stinky Nappies!

My avatar
staceybear
Clothie
Clothie

Stinky Nappies!

Postby staceybear » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:32 pm

Hello! Don't use this forum much sorry (never get chance!!)

Just wondering if you can help me, with a very smelly problem!

My friend lent me some nappies (quite old) because I can't really afford to buy a load of new ones :( BUT they smell really bad when they need changing. Her skin and clothes then smell too. A very strong ammonia smell.
I have used tea tree oil to wash them, boil washed them and nothing is working.
Any advice on how to treat them? Don't want to give up cloth, but that plastic packet of sposies has never looked so tempting :( boo hoo!

thanks!

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Stinky Nappies!

Postby Shaunie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:36 pm

You need to do a strip wash hun. Prob a build up of detergent etc. Look in the washing nappies section and you'll see lots of info there.

They should smell much better after. That's how I know when to do mine is when they get a little too wiffy for my liking :giggle: :wink:

My avatar
angiepangie2809
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angiepangie2809 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:56 pm

I remember one of the ladys on here suggesting this....wash nappies in a full dose of bio washing powder.(On 60 degree boil wash) Then do a strip wash which is to wash them with no detergent at all. If near the end of that wash you can still see bubbles in the washing machine run a few rinse cycles until there are no bubbles...on the last rinse cycle I always put in a small amount of white vinegar and either a few drops of tea tree oil or lavender oil......that's what I do when ethans night nappies get a bit whiffy and it has worked for me! Hope that helps hun!

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:25 pm

hello lovely!! :) agree to strip wash!! I always use the teeny squirt of washing up liquid method (check out the stripping methods thread) but if you're using all fitteds you could try the vinegar soak one? Kieran would love helping with that I bet!! :giggle: :giggle:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat