hf1

Do I have enough newborn nappies?

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Do I have enough newborn nappies?

Postby Frances » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:11 pm

Just been looking through bump's stash and wondering what else I need. I don't have any experience of cloth nappying a newborn as Jasmine was in sposies for the first few weeks as her small and onesize nappies swamped her.

I don't want to buy loads of newborn nappies as they won't be in use for long, I think it's likely that I'll have another almost 9lber or larger, and Jas hit 11lb within a month.

So far we have:
- 13 smart nappies with 25 inserts, so potentially 25 nappies if the liners keep the shells from being soiled
- 2 Lil Joeys
- 3 Bimbles
- 1 Diddy Diaper
- 2 Thirsties
- 1 Starbaby Designs fitted
- 1 homemade fitted

Think that's it. I'm happy to wash every 2 days, and tumble if necessary. Am I likely to need many more?

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Do I have enough newborn nappies?

Postby tanya » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:16 pm

My experience of Smart Nappies showed that we couldn't just change the inserts as the shells got soiled too :( But even so, provided you don't have a baby who is constantly pooping, and therefore using around 8 nappies a day, you should be fine. Even if they do poop a lot, you could still manage it, if you washed every day.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:21 pm

do you have OS, smalls, and terries too, if so yeah I'd say you don't want any more tiny nappies

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:24 pm

flutterby wrote:do you have OS, smalls, and terries too, if so yeah I'd say you don't want any more tiny nappies

agree with this. And with the pp about the smart nappy! It's a good fit, but the shell does get poo on it most times. saying that, they dry fast, so if you're washing every other day, and wash at night, by morning your outers will be dry and you can stuff with the dry set of inners and if you have the option to tumble if needed, then you should be fine :)

I want some Lil Joeys!!!! :giggle:

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:25 pm

Thanks all. Yep, got a few smalls, buying more, and have lots of onesize's from Jas' stash, so planning to use those as backups.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:04 am

It is so hard to know. With Charlotte I was going through 8 nappies a day - I had 25 MEOS and found I needed a few more as I didn't want to wash more than every other day and didn't have a drier. So I just bought a few more.

With Ben, I had all of Charlotte's onesizes and then had a bunch of smalls too but found I used far less nappies with Ben - he didn't poop after each feed like Charlotte and I would avoid changing him at all costs during the night because of his reflux (before a feed and he would scream the house down and wake everyone, after a feed and he would puke it all up, so we were back to square one!) so we used far fewer nappies with him and got away with a much smaller stash.

So you do sound like you have enough - and the shops are open to buy more if you need them :wink:

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:47 pm

yeah thats potentially 35 nappies which i think is plenty, especially in the early days since you change so often the bucket/bag fills up so much quicker!! :giggle:

I have 19 NB/XS fitteds (diddys, lovables, NB FF and the OWW co-op ones) and then i also have 20 NB sized prefolds and 8 wraps that should fit from birth too...

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat