hf1

New To Cloth Nappies Hellp!

My avatar
marcsmummy2010
Clothie
Clothie

New To Cloth Nappies Hellp!

Postby marcsmummy2010 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:39 pm

Ok hi everi1, i have just orderd myself some cloth online, so first of all they are AIO, how many will i need i have bought 14 to start of with....its becoming an additction!!!! ok

how do i wash my nappys??

can i tumble dry ????

how much detergant should i put in?????

how many wet/mesh bags should i get????

dealing with poo outside????

Any answers would be helpful thanks

xxxxx

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: New To Cloth Nappies Hellp!

Postby Shaunie » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi :wave:

It's very easy to get carried away but don't buy too many of one nappy until you're sure they work for your LO. How many you need depends on how often you wash - I only have around 20 day nappies but most on here say that's no-where near enough!

I like to was nappies at 60 but anywhere between 40 & 60 is fine but make sure you don't use fabric softener (unless it's bold 2in1 which is fine). I tend to put 1/2 the recommended amount in because detergent can build up in the nappies causing them to smell. You can tumble dry on a low heat setting if you wish. I line dry in summer & put pocket nappies in the airing cupboard in winter and the inserts on an over radiator airer & tumble to finish them off if I need to.

I tip poop off into the toilet bowl & any that's on the nappy as oppose to the fleece liner, I just dip it in to get it off them squeeze & drop straight into the nappy bucket.....gross but you soon get used to it :lookround: :giggle: HTH x

My avatar
marcsmummy2010
Clothie
Clothie

Postby marcsmummy2010 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:50 pm

hey !! thank you thats helped alot i cant wait to start OH not so keen lol:D

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:51 pm

most of your qustions have been answered by siobahn :D

What make of nappy did you get? and personally i would say
mesh bags - none
wetbag 1-2

out and about, if you have use of a toilet its just the same as if your at home flush the poo then pop it in a wetbag, if you can't flush then put dirty nappy in wetbag and forget about it til your home then sort it out.

hTh x

My avatar
marcsmummy2010
Clothie
Clothie

Postby marcsmummy2010 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:01 pm

ok so to try them i got ebay ones :S:S

OH wanted to try them before spending more money on expensive 1's!!!
(i personally hope they work)

i think i need to buy liners and inserts as well i think you can get fleece 1's whats the differnce??? im so confused but i cant wait to start!!!!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:45 pm

marcsmummy2010 wrote:ok so to try them i got ebay ones :S:S

OH wanted to try them before spending more money on expensive 1's!!!
(i personally hope they work)

i think i need to buy liners and inserts as well i think you can get fleece 1's whats the differnce??? im so confused but i cant wait to start!!!!

not sure which ones on ebay? do you have a link?

An insert is something you put in a pocket nappy to make it absorbent,there are a lot of different inserts you can buy .microfibre is a cheap fast drying option but not very absorbent. I would say if you can get away with using microfibre (if your baby is a light wetter) then fab.

You can get lots of other materials for inserts cotton, bamboo, hemp, zorb, wool. Some people mix and match. Bamboo is my personal favourite.

A liner is somthing you lay in the nappy to go against bubs skin. 2 purposes too catch poo, and/or to keep bum dry. Fleece is good for keeping wetness away. I don't bother with liners (excpt in my little lambs nappies) but lots of people love them.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:07 pm

I dont use mes bags, i use wetbags instead of nappy buckets, then just put the whole thing in the machine :)

As for Ebay AIO's hopefully you will get along with them and they will work for your LO, i had some pockets from there (coolababy brand) and i did need to boost them so depending on what materials are in your nappies you may find you need to add something extra for absorbancy :)

I was at 60c for nappies, i use a foll dose of non bio powder and then add an extra rinse, but we have hard water so thats why i use alot of powder.

Dealing with poo when im not at home, i tend to just put the whole nappy (rolled up) into the wetbag and deal with it when I get home...or if there is a loo by the changing mat wherever you are then you can shake the solids into the loo there...

Good Luck!

My avatar
marcsmummy2010
Clothie
Clothie

Postby marcsmummy2010 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:42 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

ok so thats the link, i bought 2 sets of those!!!

i really want to tumble dry my nappies b/cos of winter and horrible weather what do u all think ???

Thank you so much for your repiles i really appreciate it !!!!:D:D

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:47 pm

Ok i have heard of those before! It doesnt tell you want the inside (the absorbant part) of the nappy is made of...its lined with fleece but fleece isnt absorbant...it will just act as a stay dry barrier between your baby's bottom and the nappy...

I would imagine that you will get care instructions with the nappies but even if you cant tumble dry them then you can hang them near a radiator or similar etc...

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat