Lancashire Napy Initiative is ending soon

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Lancashire Napy Initiative is ending soon

Postby Little Pants » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:56 pm

I have just been told that the Lancashire Nappy voucher scheme is ending on Monday 11th January. If you are expecting a baby, and had hoped to get the £45 voucher, you need to apply before that date, and spend your voucher by 28th February, or it will expire.

If you want more details, please feel free to PM me.

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Lancashire Napy Initiative is ending soon

Postby happytails » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:08 pm

Why are they stopping it?

Seems a shame, we got it with DD but were told we couldnt get it for DS as you could only claim 1 per household (instead of per child :-? )

Not doing a great deal to promote cloth getting rid of it :-?

Sarah x

My avatar
simlou
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby simlou » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:10 pm

That is a real shame - its what got me into using cloth and I've spread the word and now another friend is using cloth too as she got a few taster nappies using the vouchers.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:10 pm

I am sure it will be some sort of cost cutting exercise because councils seem to be so short sighted that they cannot see that the money spent on promoting cloth could be more than made back in savings in waste collection :roll:

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:16 pm

Annette wrote:I am sure it will be some sort of cost cutting exercise because councils seem to be so short sighted that they cannot see that the money spent on promoting cloth could be more than made back in savings in waste collection :roll:

I thought this too - idiots.

its just like the government with the benefits. If everything was properly means tested it would in the long run, save ALOT of money and the money would be better used but no, they dont see it that way :-?

Bee in my bonnet i think :oops: :giggle:

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:24 pm

In some areas they have found people claim and get nappies only to sell them on ebay for a profit :x The number of vouchers offered and the amount in waste reduction are not always proportionate. Frustrating for those of use who would use them for cloth but its a reflection of the society we live in I'm afraid :(

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Postby Little Pants » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:24 am

Yes, it's because of the "Cuts" they are having to make.

I sent the following email to them.

That's a shame. Is the scheme not self funding? I thought it cost the council a lot more than £45 to recycle one baby's disposable nappies. Or is the council finally going to operate a charge to people who put disposable nappies in the bin? That's not tongue in cheek query by the way! Surely that would be a better way for the council to raise money to cover the cost of disposing of throw away nappies, and still support those people who do use washable nappies? Could you not eg. ask people to pay for the hire of a special wheelie bin for disposable nappies, and not allow them to be put into the normal general waste bins. It is, as far as I know, illegal to put faeces in a normal waste bin anyway, isn't it?

My avatar
Miranda
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Miranda » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:13 pm

That is a shame. Have to say I think the publicity surrounding a scheme helps create a market with people that hadn't considered cloth before, not just those that would use anyway. Also for those that express interest, some will not get around to claiming despite using cloth. When Reading's scheme was WRAP funded - and they had a nappy project worker, a Sure Start scheme etc, the enquiries requesting a form to claim were monitored and chased up. A high % of those that had asked for the information had bought nappies but not got around to sending the claim in. Can't recall the figure, but think it was 30% or so.

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:25 pm

shame to see another council cutting a scheme. ours went nearly 2 years ago :(

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat