hf1

My friends poor baby, "bitten" by sposies!

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

My friends poor baby, "bitten" by sposies!

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:12 am

Ok well not bitten, but her newborn had developed a scary looking absess on his little bottom, it actually looked like a weeping hole :shock: she took him to the docs and even A&E, all she was told was to change his nappy more often (she was really annoyed, as she had been changing every hour to see if it helped!) and put sudocreme on, the little mite screamed everytime it was touched :( I asked what nappies she was using - pampers dry-max. I told her that some babies had had reactions to the chemical in them, so she switched to eco-disposables (couldn't convince her on the cloth) and within days the "hole" was healing up. I don't think thats a coincedence!

I just feel sad everytime I hear something like this. So many mums have complained of their child's constant nappy rash and blamed it on teething or whatever, they just never question what their putting on their child's skin, as if something thats marketed for babies should always be tested to the extreme and is perfectly safe for their child. Some nappy companies have marketed themselves so well, they're not even doubted when their product harms a child :( I wish the health professionals my friend had seen were more informed too, they just doubted her as a mother first.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: My friends poor baby, "bitten" by sposies!

Postby tanya » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:17 am

One of the very good reasons why I will never buy dry-max sposies.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:18 am

Oh my goodness, that's shocking! How awful for all of them.

When DS1 was about 1, he developed exzema but only on his bum (was using huggies at time) and the HV told me that it could be the chemicals in the nappy & advised to try another option which was when I converted to cloth. I'm so glad she recommended it as I'd never it pushed me to try again (had tried BM's when he was 3mth old which failed).

When I do use a sposie I always choose eco. OK, I know that they're not truly eco but there's less harch chemicals against babies skin which is very important to me. No way I'd ever use any other sposie.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:20 am

Poor baby :(

We use pampers active fit dry max at night and have never had a problem with them at all...but we only use one overnight...perhaps its the constant use of them that causes a problem..or perhaps Kieren isnt sensitive to it :-?

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:25 am

Oh gosh poor sausage :(

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:29 am

Poor baby :(

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby scarlet » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:34 am

This upsets me so much as well! The poor little lamb , Im so glad she at least changed to a nappy which is hopefully chemical free!
I used to work with children and saw a lot of terrible nappy rash which is one of the things that made me decide on cloth. There are lot of people out there or don't care about the environmental impact but the fact these nappies can literally burn some babies little bots should be more than enough reason to stop using them!

My avatar
shyler76
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby shyler76 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:33 am

This is exactly the reason I changed to cloth when Nieve was about 18 weeks. I react to chlorine and the sores on her bottom looked just like my hands do after using harsh cleaning products. :cry: My health visitor told me I should change her more frequently and use sudocrem but I ignored her, left her bare bottomed in the day and changed to an eco sposie before deciding that cloth would be kinder still. She has been mobile from around 7 months so has worn cloth almost constantly and has never had a sore bottom since (even through quite painful bouts of teething). I wouldn't dream of using anything other than cloth with my next child irrespective of their sensitivity. Why don't HVs promote cloth more I wonder? :-?

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:43 pm

Poor little baby. I hear these sorts of stories all the time and they really upset me :(

Dry max nappies are actually why we switched to cloth. DD was in one of them for literally 20 minutes before she developed the most awful raised weeping sores everywhere the nappy had touched. She screamed in pain for hours. It was awful. MY GP said she's never seen anything liked it and compared it to chemical burns. DD hasn't been in a sposie since.

Our GP was great (used cloth on her own kids as it turned out) but do I wish more health professionals were switched on to the problems some children have with sposies. Recations must be pretty common, I'd have thought?

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat