hf1

My friends poor baby, "bitten" by sposies!

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: My friends poor baby, "bitten" by sposies!

Postby northernruth » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:01 pm

elliebelly wrote:
Miranda wrote:Can you imagine the glee as the marketing men at Pampers sat around the table and said 'We have this idea, if we change the nappy so it pulls up and down rather than sticks on, then we can tell the parents their baby is getting ready to potty train. What they won't realise is their baby will still think 'it's a nappy, it looks and feels like I've a nappy on so I'll wee in it anyway'. We can charge double for these pull up nappies - lets just call them pull ups, not nappies, if we advertise them enough people will think they're something special - and our profits will soar. Also the babies will stay in nappies for longer, so we'll do even better for sales'

My HV said the same, she said people may as well use normal nappies as most often these pull ups are being put on when the kid is lay down and are too difficult to pull up by the kid!

Its a marketing dream! :roll:

I do think we need more information about the chemicals in nappies, and health professionals need to be better informed about the benefits of cloth.

but I also think that to constantly blame large corporations for perceived evils such as chemicals in nappies etc is missing the point. The definition of marketing used by the Chartered Institute of Marketing is 'The management process responsible for identifying , anticipating and satisfying customer requirements profitably'

It's the "customer requirements" that are wrong. We have all seen babies out and about with saggy nappies down by their knees - unfortunately some parents just want to leave their children in nappies for as long as is physically possible, people are lazy. I always mention cloth to ppl when it comes up and most ppl don't want to know. Customers buy pull ups because they want to believe that there is an easy way to potty train your child that doesn't involve commitment and hard work on the part of the parent.

I completely believe that for the most part, as a society, we get what we deserve. And if people wish for a nappy solution that's so full of chemicals that you can leave your child in it all day, that's eventually what we will get.

There are plenty of ppl on this site and elsewhere who use cloth who have come to it through all manner of routes, what unites us all is that we were open minded and prepared to listen.

If you want to change this type of behaviour on the part of the corporations, you need to remove the consumer demand :-? .

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:19 pm

Miranda wrote:
elliebelly wrote:I have to say, the stories i hear about disposables make me coil in horror!

My health visitor was retired and then returned to work through boredom! but she is very pro cloth and also blames disposables for later potty training saying she often sees 3yr old that are still wetting too frequently for their age and mothers who are leaving nappies on for far too long.

Can you imagine the glee as the marketing men at Pampers sat around the table and said 'We have this idea, if we change the nappy so it pulls up and down rather than sticks on, then we can tell the parents their baby is getting ready to potty train. What they won't realise is their baby will still think 'it's a nappy, it looks and feels like I've a nappy on so I'll wee in it anyway'. We can charge double for these pull up nappies - lets just call them pull ups, not nappies, if we advertise them enough people will think they're something special - and our profits will soar. Also the babies will stay in nappies for longer, so we'll do even better for sales'

This is such a good point I've put it on facebook in a sarcastic 'look at us fantastic marketers' sort of way :giggle: but I'm betting people will ignore it, plus I've posted the link to the dangerous disposables thing but people will either look then try to forget or not look at all, ignorance is bliss.
I must say all this makes me feel sick, I just think what are we doing to our children, I mean the hospitals give out bounty packs full of disposable samples, the NHS happily gives this stuff out because there is nothing official to say it's dangerous :shock: Hmm and I'm sure that little can of coke is great for a pregnant woman :roll:

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:22 pm

smilinglou wrote: people will either look then try to forget or not look at all, ignorance is bliss.
I must say all this makes me feel sick, I just think what are we doing to our children, I mean the hospitals give out bounty packs full of disposable samples, the NHS happily gives this stuff out because there is nothing official to say it's dangerous :shock:

Or people will look and make an informed decsion...all you can do is put the info out there...people will make their own minds up...Im not a sposie lover hence using cloth with both my children and will do the same with the third but I do from time to time (gasp, shock horror) use a disposable nappy and Kieren wears one everynight...im not stupid or ignorent...its just what works best for us... It comes down to what your comfortable with at the end of the day... some people are happy to use formula, some people are happy to use disp wipes/nappies, some people are happy to use non parent facing prams, the list is endless...it comes down to what your ok with...some people are happy with none of that which is fine and some people are happy with all of it...there there are some people who are in the middle...

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby scarlet » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:52 pm

GaryL wrote:
There is also a link to the report about fertility which was research done by two professors at Cambridge Uni and Kiel Uni(Germany). It makes interesting reading. posting.php?mode=reply&f=23&t=64700

This link isn't coming up to what you intended and would be interested to read it!

I have to say I surprised myself by how pro cloth I am the other day. We had, had friends round for pearl's birthday and someone must have put a nappy in my bin, my mum and dad were visiting, DP's parents and DP was off work. I went to put something in the bin and spotted the nappy ( forgetting about pearl's party) for about 5 seconds I was literally fuming thinking which one of them put a PAMPERS on my baby and why on earth would they buy them. Then I realised it would have been from one of the other babies at the party! :hohoho: :hohoho:
Since reading all these horror stories I WOULD NEVER EVER PUT PAMPERS ON MY BABY,but we have used eco depo's ( which to be honest aren't much better) and am so glad we started using cloth from 3 months! Just wish we had started from day one!

My avatar
GaryL
Clothie
Clothie

Postby GaryL » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:27 pm

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 409100.php

Hi there. I have attached a link which should work. If not., PM me and I'll tell you where to view it.

Enjoy reading it!!

My avatar
rhiannon134
Clothie
Clothie

Postby rhiannon134 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:33 pm

I do think we need more information about the chemicals in nappies, and health professionals need to be better informed about the benefits of cloth.

but I also think that to constantly blame large corporations for perceived evils such as chemicals in nappies etc is missing the point. The definition of marketing used by the Chartered Institute of Marketing is 'The management process responsible for identifying , anticipating and satisfying customer requirements profitably'

It's the "customer requirements" that are wrong. We have all seen babies out and about with saggy nappies down by their knees - unfortunately some parents just want to leave their children in nappies for as long as is physically possible, people are lazy. I always mention cloth to ppl when it comes up and most ppl don't want to know. Customers buy pull ups because they want to believe that there is an easy way to potty train your child that doesn't involve commitment and hard work on the part of the parent.

I completely believe that for the most part, as a society, we get what we deserve. And if people wish for a nappy solution that's so full of chemicals that you can leave your child in it all day, that's eventually what we will get.

There are plenty of ppl on this site and elsewhere who use cloth who have come to it through all manner of routes, what unites us all is that we were open minded and prepared to listen.

If you want to change this type of behaviour on the part of the corporations, you need to remove the consumer demand :-? .

How very well said! I totally agree. I used to only change the 'sposies 3 or 4 times a day and it took me a while to get into the routine of changing a cloth bum every few hours, but when I thought about it I can't believe I used to leave my babies sitting on that soggy grotty chemically mass!

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat