hf1

Did tesco choose the right nappy to sell (your ideas)

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Did tesco choose the right nappy to sell (your ideas)

Postby 123princesssammie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:36 pm

I was thinking today about tesco choice to sell easyfits, now i know from our perspective with our vast knowledge on cloth/value for money etc etc its a very good buy and exciting that a supermarket has decided to sell cloth, but i was wandering from a non cloth nappy user what would thier perspective be, and whther it was likely to mean more cloth users or more people put off by them

ok they are stocking the prints which will attract people and obviously they are one of the easiest nappies to use which is clear to see from the seethrough packaging BUT on a price front i think its likely too turn people away i mean £14.99 for one nappy(which we all know is good price for the easyfit but a non clothnappy user would not), people are going to relaise they need quite a few and when they spend the same amount or even less each week on thier shopping budget on sposies that will last the week rather than just one nappy ifyswim when most people are on a budjet so will be thinking short term (that day/week)possibly month) rather than the long term benefit of using them for the 2yrs+

whats your opinion?

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Did tesco choose the right nappy too sel (your ideas)

Postby zoeyboo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:43 pm

Hmmm yes I see your point about the price ...

... but I wouldn't imagine that they'd be an impulse purchase by someone who hadn't considered looked into cloth already so I am guessing they'd have some idea of price and how many they'd need. I think the attraction would be the nice prints & the fact you don't need anything else ... one piece, easy on, birth to potty, attractive ... I can't think of a better choice to be honest ... maybe the BG V3 now that they are doing prints, but I think the print range of TB are better and more attractive.

If they'd been available at Tescos when I was pregnant I would have taken advantage of being able to get one a fortnight with my shopping & spread the cost to build a stash, plus with Tesco points and double points events etc you could save a good amount over getting them online ... plus you can actually pick them up & see them 'in the flesh' this was something that really bothered me when I was looking into cloth for the first time, I couldn't go & pick them up & see what they were like, with the exception of Mios & Bamboozles in Mothercare

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:47 pm

zoeyboo wrote:plus you can actually pick them up & see them 'in the flesh' this was something that really bothered me when I was looking into cloth for the first time, I couldn't go & pick them up & see what they were like, with the exception of Mios & Bamboozles in Mothercare

I think this is a definite plus point, that's the reason I started with terries as I had no idea what other nappies were like and what I'd need with them, a friend showed me her terries and that was it. There's no nappy shops around here, apart from Babies R Us and Mothercare but I had no idea at the time they stocked anything either. I think it's fantastic that Tesco are trying to support a UK business that started as a wahm and grew from there, and that they are supporting cloth nappies. Now it'll just be interesting to see how much they advertise it, so far I've only seen Tots Bots advertising them being there :-?

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Did tesco choose the right nappy too sell (your ideas)

Postby paintedclaws » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:51 pm

I think its a very positive thing and yes whilst the price may put some people off initially it could also plant the seed...Most highstreet places that sell cloth only really offer 'day-packs' which at £50+ are less likely to draw people in imo and are pretty basic and boring (BM and TB fitteds with a wrap).

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:04 pm

paintedclaws wrote:I think its a very positive thing and yes whilst the price may put some people off initially it could also plant the seed...Most highstreet places that sell cloth only really offer 'day-packs' which at £50+ are less likely to draw people in imo and are pretty basic and boring (BM and TB fitteds with a wrap).

WSS.

My avatar
shyler76
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby shyler76 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:17 pm

I agree that it's a positive thing. When I started out with cloth I was very grateful for the help I had from online companies such as Babykind and Cheeks and Cherries but was over the moon that Waitrose were stocking Close-Parent Pop-in trials that I could look at and buy every few weeks. Cloth is hardly used at all where I live (I'm the only person out of all of my friends, at my daughter's nursery or at any of the groups we go to who uses cloth) and I think this is partly due to cloth having practically no presence on the high street. I hope my local Tesco stock the Easyfits but since none of the local supermarkets stock eco brands of disposables, I won't hold my breath! :roll:

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:27 pm

zoeyboo wrote:plus you can actually pick them up & see them 'in the flesh' this was something that really bothered me when I was looking into cloth for the first time, I couldn't go & pick them up & see what they were like, with the exception of Mios & Bamboozles in Mothercare

Another one quoting from Zoey here.
I think this is a very valid point. Both of my closest friends who have babes/toddlers had absolutely no idea that cloth nappies could be this way up until they saw me changing Erin.
I think still, that if you mention "cloth nappies" to the majority of the population, terry squares, pins & impossible folding are the images that spring to mind, whereas the reality is far from this.
This move by Tesco could well see a shift in the general public's perception of cloth nappies and I think that the TB Easyfit is a darn good place to start.

Dooby x

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Did tesco choose the right nappy to sell (your ideas)

Postby Frances » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:29 pm

Really positive step, but I'd rather have seen Ittis (of all the mass-produced nappies) just because I think they're even cuter :D Nice to see a British brand though.

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Did tesco choose the right nappy to sell (your ideas)

Postby zoeyboo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:11 pm

Frances wrote:Really positive step, but I'd rather have seen Ittis (of all the mass-produced nappies) just because I think they're even cuter :D Nice to see a British brand though.

I agree, I think it's much better that it's a British Product, especially with the current economic climate I think we should be supporting our own first & foremost.

However I found ittis to be a real disappointment, they leaked when Rufus had skinny legs and when they bulked up ... I've tried smalls & mediums then gave up as nothing we did over the 8 months I tried ever worked. I think this is a common problem based on the amount I see on classifieds. Really for clothie beginners/newbies/daddies/GParents etc you can't be applix for ease of use & adjustability, the pocket means extra stuffing can be added if needed, plus being BTP makes them more economical.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat