hf1

Did tesco choose the right nappy to sell (your ideas)

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Did tesco choose the right nappy to sell (your ideas)

Postby Annette » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:20 pm

Frances wrote:Really positive step, but I'd rather have seen Ittis (of all the mass-produced nappies) just because I think they're even cuter :D Nice to see a British brand though.

I definately have to disagree there - Ittis can be such a hit and miss with people, so many people find they leak or get outgrown too quickly

And it is way better it is a British Brand.

I love that they have got into the supermarket. I haven't tried them so cannot comment on them in particular but the idea of being able to pick up 1 a week with the shopping is brilliant. Personally I am amazed a supermarket is stocking cloth at all - there is no repeat business like there is with disps so they must see that there is a market there for people who would never buy disps which to me says alot for the growing popularity of cloth. There is no way Tesco are doing this just for eco reasons - they will definately have worked out that they can make money out of it, which means not detracting from their disp sales :wink: So they must have determined that there are now enough people interested in cloth that they want them buying them in their supermarket and not having to go elsewhere.

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:49 pm

I have always said even one cloth nappy per day will save you money. 1 packet of disps per month and 12 packs per year so at £6.49 (OMG I hadnt realised how expensive they were!) per pack a cloth nappy will have paid for itself in under 3 months.

I started with my dd using one per day for that couple of hours before her bath and sometimes it wasnt that wet but it had to be chucked. I soon found they were far superior for containing her explosive poos and very quickly started buying one per week (then selling anything that wasnt nailed down) to fund more. It only takes one good cloth nappy to convince possibly reluctant parents so I see it as a very good step by tesco. I also love the fact they are British( Scottish) and BTP.

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby autumnalgirl » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:20 am

I'm very pleased to see cloth nappies in tesco :) My major concern, and I don't think it would matter which pocket they sold, is that the suppied insert won't be enough on it's own and will end up putting people off/getting a bad name.

My avatar
Miranda
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Miranda » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:48 am

I'm really chuffed. 'Normalises' Tots Bots - they must be 'normal' as they're on the shelf with Pampers & Huggies!

It's one nappy that works really well for most, and it's one size. Absorbency isn't an issue, fit is usually pretty good, it's soft, easy to fasten, easy to adjust, doesn't really leak. I can see people calculating they've only got to use it 100 times and it's cheaper than a 17p (average price of) dispopsable. Less than 1/3 a year's use, and they're saving money.

Even if folk only bought a pack of 5, and only used them every other day, they'd save a mint compared with disposables.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:21 am

I think it's a very positive step. They've chosen to stock British, one size, cute print, most like a disposable ... Not sure what better option they could have picked?! I also think that anyone who's thinking about using cloth will appreciate them being there to see IRL - they can take them out of the packet, play with them, see how they work and (presumably?) take them back if they're unworn and they decide cloth isn't for them. I don't think that the price tag is too prohibitive, either, as most people will be able to work out that they should last from birth to potty training, so will see the initial cost in terms of the greater long-term benefit. I also think it's a great way to get a reluctant partner on side. I'm lucky that my DH was cloth supportive, but not everyone's is. If they're able to see the product, they might be more inclined to support a purchase. Maybe?

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:05 am

I don't think it matters what they stocked, Waitrose has been stocking MEOS for years after all, John Lewis Bambino Mio, Terrys were available in Boots until recently, etc. I think the biggest issue here is the lack of knowledge of the staff - no-one is going to be able to help people when they have problems, questions, etc. Potential cloth users are going to have nowhere to turn. If people are just picking one or two up out of curiosity, don't get on with them for whatever reason, then unless they are extremely keen to keep going they're not going to bother finding advisers or communities such as this to help them. Mothercare are bad enough in their lack of knowledge with cloth and they're a dedicated chain, I can't imagine Tesco staff knowing any more unless individual staff happen to use it. Tesco would be wise to hook up with local advisers, allow them to have their leaflets in the store with the nappies, etc. But no, that's not going to happen.

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:14 am

Will they be stocking the teenyfits too? just out of curiosity?

I think it is a big forward leap for cloth, do tots bots have a forum/community on their website? that would be the first place i went for help, the web address would be on the tag (and maybe even the tag sewn into the nappy itself?

I would definitely have picked this over a bambino mio/terry/prefold that i have seen sold in other 'in the flesh' shops had they all been displayed together.

Sarah x

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:37 am

i don't think it is fair to compare it to stocking meos, bambino mios or terries. All of which are far more complicated and/ or unreliable. And it is totally different stocking them in waitrose or mothercare which was never going to have the same reach.
I do agree about not having anywhere to turn for help though. Perhaps tory should get Tots Bots to put the Tree's address on the label :wink: :giggle:

My avatar
clarahippy
Clothie
Clothie

Postby clarahippy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:44 pm

We love our tots bots, we bought a variety of preloved nappies before Alyssa was born and our tots bots pockets are always reached for first! We actually use the pockets and its killing me they have been discontinued because we LOVE them so I'm buying them up whenever I see them secondhand. Might pick up a few in easifits in Tesco though now :-) Especially since the prints are so cute.

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat