hf1

Help!

My avatar
est4elvis
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Help!

Postby est4elvis » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:22 am

Didn't know where this was meant to go so feel free to move it if need be!
I need help! I have bought a kind of starter pack of nappies form a friend + to start with was really excited. Now I am just fed up :( I the pack was one bamboo nappy, 2 fluffy nappies (pockets, fitted? no idea!) 4 wraps + the nippa nappas. So was told all I had to get was 24 terries which I found on ebay + I would be sorted. Then I saw a lovely pack on netmums that included 10 bamboo + microfibre ones so got all excited again to think i could get the really nice ones as well as the terries.
Now, the girl isn't messaging me back so can't get those nappies from netmums, I have NO IDEA if I have made the wrong decision + I should have just stuck to disposables. The more I learn the more it seems I have to buy (which is a a struggle cos we are skint anyway). I tried my daughter in one of the fluffy ones with a disposable liner + a wrap + she woke up soaking at 2am. :roll: :(
So before I buy any more nappies, I am wondering if i should just give the whole pack back to my friend before i have parted with any cash + carry on with the disposables. Which is a real disappointment because i was SO excited about it all + now I'm just sick of talking/hearing about nappies + sick of being confused. I cant afford the ones I really love + each day that goes on just makes me feel more miserable about the whole thing.
Please help convince me I'm making the right choice! xx

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Help!

Postby fivefourfour » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:27 am

You made the right choice! But you might need to tweak the way you use them. How old is your lo?

You might need to try using a booster at night, they are relatively cheap (you can pick them up on here usually). Or maybe use bamboo ones at night (they tend to be more absorbant) Do you know the brand of nappies you were given?

Is the fluffy on a Tots Bots fluffle maybe?

My avatar
est4elvis
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby est4elvis » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:31 am

yeah it looks exactly like that one. I have 2 of those + one bamboo. I am mainly using the nappies for my newborn (due in 2 weeks) but really wanted to use them with Lillie as well. she is 20 months. but mum said maybe just leave Lillie in disposables + concentrate on new baby with the cloth. If I buy boosters that's another £10 + we are really struggling to find the money with it being xmas! xx

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:41 am

Do the nappies have snap in boosters? Maybe you can use a bamboo plus a couple of the boosters from the other nappies at night? You could also cut up an old towel to use as a booster?

And try placing wanted ads on here on the treecycle board (free for postage) and other sites such as freecycle. In fact, I think I have a few boosters and some bits I can send you free for postage if you want...

My avatar
est4elvis
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby est4elvis » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:41 am

well good news is the girl messaged me back so still get the ones I wanted which helps a little. :D

that would be awesome! thank u so much! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby knees_on » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:10 pm

Hi just to say I know it can be hard finding what you want - there is so much choice!!!! And it takes a little time to find what works best for you and your little one. Always good to find a few different ones to try than a big pack of ones you may find dont work!! And if you wait and find a bargain you could pay as little as £5 per nappy.

And I was very shocked to find in less than 6 months I have saved 1000 nappies :shock: :shock: HOw much would that cost in disposables??!!! At least £100??? :shock: And quite often you can sell them on. Bargain!

Are you sure the fluffy ones you have were washed before you used them as this will greatly improve the absorbancy. I don't think microfibre is very absorbant for an older child? I would def recommend trial and error. Try some a) different fitteds (your fluffy ones) with some wraps b)some pockets (that have a hole in the top to put your terries or boosters inside c) some all in ones (wrap and absorbancy together) or snap in (waterproof cover/wraps with boosters that popper onto it.

Then you will have some idea of what works best. Also be warned it can be difficult to find the right fit for tiny newborns but they don't wee quite so much!!!

HTH You'll get there. Just think of the savings long term that you can spend on something else! :D

My avatar
est4elvis
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby est4elvis » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:42 pm

I think where i have been going wrong is to try ot get both children in the nappies I have. which doesnt work does it? :giggle: so the reason she was wet is cos the wrap was too small. :roll: :D

Now I have 6 bamboo size 2, 5 microfibre size 2, 4 size 2 wraps, 3 microfibre size 1, 3 size 1 wraps + a couple of nippa nappas + 10 fleece liners.

So to have both children in nappies i need boosters + 18 more terries is that about right?

Also, if i buy size 61x61 terry nappeis can i fold them to different sizes ie newborn?

thanks guys xx
Last edited by est4elvis on Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:26 pm

est4elvis wrote:I think where i have been going wrong is to try ot get both children in the nappies I have. which doesnt work does it? :giggle:

Each child is different, some can power wee and soak a super boosted nappy. Although my DS (21 months) isn't a super wetter, he can soak a weenotions night nappy by morning.

It is trial and error, so don't get disheartened. Take a look on classifieds and remember that if there are nappies that dont work for either of your children, then you can sell them on.

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:41 pm

As someone mentioned before, post on the treecycle board, we've all got some nappies lying around that we don't use but aren't worth selling on. Most people here are very kind So long as you pay for postage i'm sure u can pick up a few more for free :wine:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat