hf1

Leaking :( - please convince me to persevere with cloth

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Leaking :( - please convince me to persevere with cloth

Postby gayleygoo » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:18 pm

The tots bots inserts were never enough for my heavy wetter, I used blueberry hamp/microfibre inserts in them, often boosted with a bamboo or hemp booster. However I mostly use fitteds with wool longies as they are the most reliable (and they're daddy-friendly, as long as he knows which nappies are which, my DH still usually has to ask me :giggle: )

My avatar
smegs1978
Clothie
Clothie

Postby smegs1978 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:23 pm

I felt the same last week, although fingers crossed the last 2 days we have had no leaks.

The best nappy I have found is the Itti bitti, it last a good 4 hours with the mini booster attached. Don't really like pocket ones, although do like my wonderoo!

I use bg at night with 2 mf inserts and they last a good 12 hours.

I have changed from mf inserts to bamboo and they seem to last longer on my pockets.

I think I was using to much powder when washing them, also the body suits were a very snug fit so I think these to things combined were causing the leaking.

My avatar
GaryL
Clothie
Clothie

Postby GaryL » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:22 am

Hi there. I can only reiterate what the others have said. I would urge you not to give up. You will get there in the end. I know hubbies can be a little difficult to bring around to cloth (I know - being a hubby myself!! :D )

The only other way I may be able to help is to lend you some free fitted nappies and some AIO too. I run the Wiltshire Real Nappy Network and know probably live a long way from here but if I can help you continue using cloth nappies then it doesn't matter where you are!!

If you want to PM me, I am more than happy as I say to loan you some nappies to try out FOC. Hope this may be of some help to you :wine:

My avatar
fluffpuffin
Clothie
Clothie

Postby fluffpuffin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:36 pm

Thanks for your replies everyone. Since my last post I have trialled a few more nappies and also avoided tight clothes to see whether this might have been a problem.

Using loser clothes has made a bit of a difference. Also I tried a totsbots bamboozle stretchie with a bummis wrap and was very impressed. The other one I liked was the close parent pop-in bamboo nappy. I think having a double leg gusset has helped prevent some leaks. I'm now hoping to get some more of these.

It's certainly trial and error at first. I was just so dazzled by all the pretty patterns of the pocket nappies that i really wanted them to work and was so gutted by the leaks, especially as other people were raving about those exact nappies.

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:30 pm

Glad you are stilll wanting to use them, we were the same to begin with and i was gutted, its such a shame and something needs to be done as so many probably give up because of the reasons e.g. the wicking, i do think cloth nappies should come with some information so ppl new to cloth can see why things have gone wrong, maybe an FAQ a bit like what you get with other things you buy.

We love cloth now and rarely have problems so keep up the good work :wine: :hug:

My avatar
nipnapnoo
Clothie
Clothie

Postby nipnapnoo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:34 pm

The best pocket for heavy wetting for me is the Wonderoo V2, they have a bamboo insert and microfibre and I find they are the best and also look cute.
However you can get some pretty cute wraps to go round easy to put on fitteds like little lamb which are just velcro with a velcro wrap...easy. You can get a bamboo version which would be worth a try. :wave:

My avatar
rhiannon
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby rhiannon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:25 am

Don't forget u can always put the pockets away and try them again later. The pop ins are great nappies.

My avatar
mamarozi
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby mamarozi » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:38 pm

clothmama wrote:Sounds like there could be a couple of issues as the others have said. Microfibre can squoosh (that is a technical word :giggle: ) wee out when it has pressure put on it so that may be contributing. As already mentioned the vests could be causing issues too. You can buy vest extenders that give you an extra few inches of rise. To be honest I gave up with buttoned vests quite quicly (maybe 6 months). How old is your lo? You're not washing with fabric softener are you? This can reduce absorption. How quickly are the leaks happening?

Do keep at it - once you find your perfect combo you'll be away :D :hug:

I have one, maybe a bit stupid, question. How did you keep your LOs back covered. I hate poppered vests, but its the only way I can keep her back covered. The only time I put her in some leggins and a top, she was barebacked in no time. I usually put her in a poppered vest, then thights and if its really cold, warm pants and a top over it. I was considering leggins and a tunic, but vests are still more snug to the body and thus warmer.
How do you clothe your kids, if you dont use poppered vests? Thanx!

My avatar
fluffpuffin
Clothie
Clothie

Postby fluffpuffin » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:40 pm

Thanks all - I'm happy to say I have persevered with cloth :D Since my post I have sold a few of the ones that we didn't get on with and have invested in others. BG's especially and flips are great for us as are bamboo pop-ins and we can go a good 3 hours in them. I found that the others I tried before were just not a very good fit. i wsh I had started with BG's or flips initially and I wouldn't have been so disheartened. Itti's especially just wick for us and so do TB easyfits - no dea why, but appears to be the fit of the nappy rather than anything else. I love my cloth now and am so happy to have stuck it out through the difficult first weeks :)

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat