hf1

Twins! Advice needed! shaped nappies for teeny babies?

My avatar
twinny11
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Twins! Advice needed! shaped nappies for teeny babies?

Postby twinny11 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:15 am

Hi everyone!

This is my first post and I'm hoping for some words of wisdom from you, the experts in cloth nappies!

I'm expecting twin boys in April/May and I'm hoping I can go straight into cloth. I've spent the last week reading forums and nappy sites religiously and I think I've got my head round it all enough to know what I think would suit us best.

As the boys are likely to be quite small and won't go past 36 weeks in there, not all nappies will suit and although I intend to invest in all-in-ones (probably bumgenius) when they get to the birth-potty mark, I think the shaped/wrap combo will probably suit us best for the first stage until they bulk up a bit and works out much cheaper!

I'm leaning towards diddy diapers (non-aplix cotton terry) and bimbles with maybe the motherease wraps?

I don't want anything that's going to be too bulky on the boys and they need to fit well around what will probably be little legs, and they need to be quick drying and simple to use, my OH isn't that keen so the simpler the better to convert him.

I've read mixed reviews on both these nappies and just wondering what your experiences are? and any other recommendations for wraps and liners - I've read the paper ones aren't very kind to babas bots but do they make poo disposal easier?

Kate :)

My avatar
ozzyboo
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Twins! Advice needed! shaped nappies for teeny babies?

Postby ozzyboo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:29 am

I tried so many and my favourite fitteds by far are tots bots stretchy's with a bumgenius flip cover over the top. THey are to trim fitting and soft and squishy. I love them and still use them on my 6 month old along with his pockets x

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:46 am

Hi I would deffo reccomend the diddy diapers at first. They are so small and neat fitting. I used some on my smallest twin from when she was about 5lb onwards. Also x-small fuzzis were great. I kind of made do on my boy with tots bots etc but they were SO bulky on him at the start.

diddy diapers are great because you can pick some up so cheaply on ebay. I had the non aplix ones and just held the nappy in place with the wrap, I teamed them up with a bambino mio wrap - also FAB on tiny bums.

As for BTP nappies my absolute favourite so far has been the easyfits from totsbots - absolutely fab. But to be honest we've bought a lot (and sold them on) that have also been really good at the time. When I used paper liners I used the mothercare ones - great for poo, then once it gets a bit more solid you can move onto minkee or fleece liners.

Did you pm me on tamba? sorry I havent had a chance to reply back yet - and I'm also not on there so often so I forget to reply to people! :oops:

My avatar
twinny11
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby twinny11 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:02 pm

gilbertandmartha wrote:Hi I would deffo reccomend the diddy diapers at first. They are so small and neat fitting. I used some on my smallest twin from when she was about 5lb onwards. Also x-small fuzzis were great. I kind of made do on my boy with tots bots etc but they were SO bulky on him at the start.

diddy diapers are great because you can pick some up so cheaply on ebay. I had the non aplix ones and just held the nappy in place with the wrap, I teamed them up with a bambino mio wrap - also FAB on tiny bums.

As for BTP nappies my absolute favourite so far has been the easyfits from totsbots - absolutely fab. But to be honest we've bought a lot (and sold them on) that have also been really good at the time. When I used paper liners I used the mothercare ones - great for poo, then once it gets a bit more solid you can move onto minkee or fleece liners.

Did you pm me on tamba? sorry I havent had a chance to reply back yet - and I'm also not on there so often so I forget to reply to people! :oops:

Yeah I did! :)

Don't worry, I know, I get the feeling most twinny mum's have their hands full, the forum there seems pretty quiet and not as many cloth nappy lovers as on here!!

Yeah I'm definitely thinking the diddys are the best way to go, I just read a couple of reviews on them not washing well, going hard and fraying, and the cut on the legs being too high and not making a good fit and wondered what other people had experienced as obviously ours are gonna get a LOT of use in those first few weeks!

:)

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:04 pm

Totsbots teenyfits are an AIO and are supposed to fit from 5lbs. http://www.peachytots.co.uk/index.cfm/t ... teenyfit/-. Size 0 bimbles are very small too so might also fit well to start with.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:22 pm

twinny11 wrote:
gilbertandmartha wrote:Hi I would deffo reccomend the diddy diapers at first. They are so small and neat fitting. I used some on my smallest twin from when she was about 5lb onwards. Also x-small fuzzis were great. I kind of made do on my boy with tots bots etc but they were SO bulky on him at the start.

Yeah I did! :)

Don't worry, I know, I get the feeling most twinny mum's have their hands full, the forum there seems pretty quiet and not as many cloth nappy lovers as on here!!

Yeah I'm definitely thinking the diddys are the best way to go, I just read a couple of reviews on them not washing well, going hard and fraying, and the cut on the legs being too high and not making a good fit and wondered what other people had experienced as obviously ours are gonna get a LOT of use in those first few weeks!

i was going to point you in this direction anyway, so glad you found it :wink: Tamba has gone really quite lately, it used to be a lot busier.

I found that the diddy diapers stayed really soft (but I also used to nuke mine in the tumble dryer).

We had always planned to use cloth on ours, but I was really worried about sizes etc, so we ended up using disposables for a month or so, then I started my buying obsession :wine: . To be honest I think a twin pregnancy and birth is so hard to plan for, and you may end up with 2 regular sized babies or 2 teeny tinies like mine that just didnt grow. And couple that with the total chaos of the first few weeks I would really wait until you are into a routine before starting on cloth.

Our 2 were in the NICU for 4 weeks and even then after being rested and them coming home on a great schedule I didnt know my own name for months, so I would really say to get a couple of different types of small nappies and a couple of x-smalls and then see how things are at first.

My avatar
twinny11
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby twinny11 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:38 pm

I know tell me about it and I'm such a planner so I can barely tear myself away from the computer at the moment for 'researching' all things baby! we're pretty much sorted on all our bits and bobs now, I'm currently looking into nappies and breast pumps! But I know it's impossible to plan for everything, but it's just in my nature!

I'm quite lucky in that my mum wants to be our 'nappy laundering service', if this wasn't the case I wouldn't even consider using cloth for the first few weeks in fear of being surrounded by nappies and buckets as well as babies!

Fingers crossed ours won't be in hospital for any length of time but we will use disposables while they are and probably top up with them for the night time, going out, etc. too, so hopefully we should be OK.

I think I'll just keep an eye out for cheap bundle of diddys and get some prefolds as well, although I don't think my OH will take to those at all but always useful, and then just see how we get on and top up with disposables if and when we need to.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:48 pm

twinny11 wrote:I know tell me about it and I'm such a planner so I can barely tear myself away from the computer at the moment for 'researching' all things baby! we're pretty much sorted on all our bits and bobs now, I'm currently looking into nappies and breast pumps! But I know it's impossible to plan for everything, but it's just in my nature!

I'm quite lucky in that my mum wants to be our 'nappy laundering service', if this wasn't the case I wouldn't even consider using cloth for the first few weeks in fear of being surrounded by nappies and buckets as well as babies!

Fingers crossed ours won't be in hospital for any length of time but we will use disposables while they are and probably top up with them for the night time, going out, etc. too, so hopefully we should be OK.

I think I'll just keep an eye out for cheap bundle of diddys and get some prefolds as well, although I don't think my OH will take to those at all but always useful, and then just see how we get on and top up with disposables if and when we need to.

WOW lucky you, well if your mum really wants to then it would be rude to say no :wink: I was the same in the last couple of months I was researching this and that, I drove myself mad. Buggies was my worst.

I ended up using a few breast pumps, the hospital medela one, the green hospital one (I think all hospitals have this one) the medela swing and avent isis. And by far the isis was the absolute best.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:30 pm

The Teenyfit without a doubt. They are tiny, very trim and would fit a 5lb baby.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat