Nappy Advisors

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Nappy Advisors

Postby Woozle35 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:02 pm

:wave: ,

Has anyone any experience of being a nappy advisor? If so can you tell me the good and bad. Thanks

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Nappy Advisors

Postby Woozle35 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:03 am

Anyone :lookround:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:05 am

I worked for Lollipop a few years ago. I enjoyed it, but found it frustrating that not many people in my area were remotely interested.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:25 am

I was/am one for Babykind, but made very few sales, and had trouble with some of the actual customers! I tried to get our local council to offer incentives, but they didn't see the point. I offered to do demos in local toddler groups and at Surestart parents groups, but none were interested, mostly because I "earned money" from doing so. The health centre and hospital were the same, and I couldn't advertise there either. As for earnings, I barely made back the cost of my demo kit, and as I can't drive to people, my "customer area" was pretty limited. I was annoyed by the ignorance and lack of support for using cloth nappies, and now if I get asked about them I tend mostly to just direct them here!

At the same time, it was fun in the beginning, I made up posters and business cards and information leaflets to hand out, and made a little photo album of Molly in cute nappies and woollies to show other parents.

Having just read that back to myself, it sounds a little bit off-putting :oops: It doesn't cost much to start up and I'm sure most people would be better salespeople than me! As long as you're willing to put a bit of effort in (I think thats where I went wrong :oops: ) then it could turn out to be very rewarding! You wont make millions, but its great to introuduce new families to the world of fluff :D

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:17 pm

This is a great question.

bumping up for others to reply...

My avatar
rhiannon
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby rhiannon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:27 pm

I am one for Fill Your Pants and I really enjoy it. Be prepared to advise more than sell tho :hohoho:

And it takes aaaaages to get a presence in your area. I've got a few media articles in the pipeline I'm hoping they'll help my profile more. And that's the limiting factor - whether people know about you!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:57 pm

I call myself one :hohoho: but its like flogging a dead horse really i think people think i am just a crazy hippy lady, which i am. I think you have to get in with a large organisation to be in with a chance.

I think the main thing to consider is there are millions of cloth nappy retailers/wholesalers/advisors/crazy hippy's and not enough people interested to give enough custom to everyone. Its very competitive. WE need to all get together and the world into cloth :giggle: to be honest i reckon CNT is doing a good job at that :thumbsup:

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:59 pm

not technically an advisor but work in a shop that sells nappies and do some antenatal talks through that. The advising side is fab- it's really nice to talk to people about cloth, show them some nappies and how things have moved on since terry squares (one woman had in her mind you had to boil them on the stove top still!).

agree that getting your name out there and getting access to antenatal classes/playgroups/etc is the hard bit. We do quite a few things around the area now, but it's taken time (years) to get that.

Suppose it's looking at why you want to do it- if making a bit of money is top reason then maybe not the best idea, as I agree- you'll probably do more advising than selling!!! But if you love the idea of informing others about cloth- even if they go away and look/research/buy elsewhere, then it can be really great. :)

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:28 pm

Thanks everyone. So it appear that it is not necessarily the job to do for the money, but for spreading the word/love of cloth.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat