hf1

First help question from me

My avatar
Elaine
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

First help question from me

Postby Elaine » Tue May 27, 2008 7:06 am

I am now finished with the other stuff I had to make, now I am going to make my two daugthers some new nighties, then it is me and the nappies.
Just a question, I have the following materials, polar fleece, flannel and toweling or terry (dont know exactly the difference)
What is the best way to make the nappies, what material inside and what outside?
We unfortanetely dont have PUL here in SA, but I am going to make 'n drimac cover, to see how it works.

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: First help question from me

Postby Pinchette » Tue May 27, 2008 7:44 am

Well, I 'm no expert but fleece is used to repel moisture so it can be used on the inside of the nappy as a keep-dry layer. Or it can be used to make wraps. Flannel and towelling are absorbant materials (flannel less than terry) so they are used to make inserts or the outside of the nappy with a hidden layer for example.
HTH

My avatar
JennyWren
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby JennyWren » Tue May 27, 2008 4:29 pm

I've never made nappies, but we do use fleece wraps and they work great. You could make shaped nappies with a terry inner and a flannel outer then make separate wraps from the fleece. There may be some links to nappy patterns on here, hopefully someone else can guide you there.. or if you do an internet search you can probably come up with some free patterns.
could you order PUL and have it shipped over otherwise? I bought some from Minki recently, it was great..
enjoy the sewing,
Jenny

My avatar
Elaine
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Elaine » Wed May 28, 2008 6:21 am

Thanks for the advice. I already have the patterns, I made one newborn one, but made the whole nappie out of terry, it was just a practice run. I cant wait to start sewing the nappies. One cant have too much nappies, am I right? :lol:
Dont think I will be able to ship PUL over, think it is going to cost me an arm and a leg. Maybe I must find out.

My avatar
joodel
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby joodel » Wed May 28, 2008 10:52 am

Elaine wrote:Dont think I will be able to ship PUL over, think it is going to cost me an arm and a leg. Maybe I must find out.

Where abouts are you in SA? I'm in CT and have made my own nappies, but not wraps yet. You could PM (private message) Diner on this forum to ask how much she paid to import her PUL. I bought ready made wraps in the UK before we moved back to SA 3 years ago and have made some of my own fleece ones. Have also just discovered the wonder of wool (but that's another topic altogether).

It depends on whether you are making pocket nappies or a 2-part system. I use 2-parters, and made my own nappies, just using 2layers of terry/towelling (I think they are the same thing). I can add extra layers to the nappy with homemade boosters (2-3layers of terry) and I use fleece liners inside the nappy.

PM me if you want more info.

Judy

My avatar
Elaine
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Elaine » Wed May 28, 2008 11:45 am

joodel wrote:
Elaine wrote:Dont think I will be able to ship PUL over, think it is going to cost me an arm and a leg. Maybe I must find out.

Where abouts are you in SA? I'm in CT and have made my own nappies, but not wraps yet. You could PM (private message) Diner on this forum to ask how much she paid to import her PUL. I bought ready made wraps in the UK before we moved back to SA 3 years ago and have made some of my own fleece ones. Have also just discovered the wonder of wool (but that's another topic altogether).

It depends on whether you are making pocket nappies or a 2-part system. I use 2-parters, and made my own nappies, just using 2layers of terry/towelling (I think they are the same thing). I can add extra layers to the nappy with homemade boosters (2-3layers of terry) and I use fleece liners inside the nappy.

PM me if you want more info.

Judy

Hi Judy

I am going to make a 2-part system. The first one I made, newborn one, is 2 layers of towelling, then a soaker between the two layers, made from 3 layers of towelling. I will probably also make fleece liners for inside the nappie.

I live in Standerton, Mpmulanga.

My avatar
Elaine
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Elaine » Wed May 28, 2008 3:07 pm

I have just realised that a friend of mine son lives in Londen and he is coming to visit in August, maybe I can get him to bring me some PUL over from there. :idea:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat