Which nappies do you use at nursery?

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Which nappies do you use at nursery?

Postby tiyuricc » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:32 am

Clara starts nursery in 10 weeks today :cry:

Sorry for the waffly post, i'm just trying to get my head around options.

I had vaguely planned on getting BGs for her to use at nursery, but recently the ones she was wearing overnight were coming off (old velcro ones), so i'm not sure that they'll hold up to all the rough-and-ready play at nursery. But then maybe buying some brand new ones might work better.

She will be at the same nursery as Oscar, and they dealt fine with his old-style velcro bamboozles, paper liners and motherease wraps so I'm not fussed if it's pockets or fitteds as I know the nursery will be fine. We use the old bamboozles fine at home, but they need a fair bit of boosting for clara and need to be fixed with a nippa as she's still a bit little and the velcro isn't holding great, so not an option for nursery.

I'm flirting with the idea of getting a bunch of DnFs as I know they fit and work well for her, but I think my bank balance might hemorrhage, and I may cry if they ruin one.

I think the normal staff would deal with poppers okay, but the lunchtime fill-in staff tend to not be the brightest sparks so I'm not sure they'd deal with poppers very well. But then maybe I'm underestimating them.

I just don't knwo what to get, and sadly i don't think i can avoid a massive outlay. We don't have a drier, either so can't really have nappies that take days to dry. She'll be in nursery 4 long (9 hour) days per week.

So spam me.... what do you use at nursery?

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Which nappies do you use at nursery?

Postby justme123 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:22 am

We used MEOS with tots wraps mostly at nursery, and they managed pretty well with this on the whole (though we did manage to have a few that were on backwards, or inside out, or with no wrap...!). We sent them in ready made up with the booster and a paper liner and a couple of spare wraps. These are available pretty cheap pre-loved, dry quickly and do seem to last forever even if they're not pretty. Possibly not great for a very heavy wetter (I know ds1 wouldn't have lasted half an hour in one of these!) - any boosting other than the pop-in one would cause additional complications for nursery I think.

Ds2 was around 1yr old when I was brave enough to send him with cloth I think, and I seem to remember him getting through around 4/5 MEOS per day (8am - 6pm). We did have a few issues with them not changing him frequently enough as sposies go a bit longer, but I think he was the only cloth baby they'd ever had, so we did expect a bit of a learning curve.

I definitely wouldn't go for anything beautiful or expensive. You need a functional workhorse nappy for nursery.

My avatar
lacemakingmum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby lacemakingmum » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:29 am

We used fuzzis for the staff to change but I sent him in what ever pocket I could find. P was the first child in cloth there for some time but they were relatively happy with them. (although i think they would have prefered him in posies :roll: )

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:37 am

We use pokets full time at home so we dont have any nappies that are just for nursery. I tend to save the Easyfits and velcro BG's as they cant go wrong with those.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:22 am

I actually think that poppers really don't pose much of a problem and in fact could be more straight forward than applix - you can always mark with a pen which poppers they should be using so that they get the fit just right. With applix the fit is dependent on how tight or loose they pull the tabs over so could be more hit and miss.

With Charlotte, I had 20 MEOS and wraps from when she was born so decided to use those for nursery as they were all the same, they were very reliable and I didn't mind too much is they go ruined. For Ben, we have always used pockets and a mix of Coolababies, BGs and Greenkids, so a mix of applix and poppers and no one has any problems with them.

My avatar
Yvette75
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Yvette75 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:28 am

I send Christopher who is 2 and half with bamboo sandys and ME airflow wraps. I put a fleece liner in each nappy and popper it up on the poppers they are to use and put a wrap over the top again poppered on the poppers they are to use. I get them to change the wrap at each change to stop any confusion about whether a wrap is dirty/too wet etc.

Not a single leak in 18 months in 3 different rooms and countless people changing him! He is the only cloth bum in nursery.

Yvette x

My avatar
VICKERSHOUSE
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby VICKERSHOUSE » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:29 am

I used whatever i felt like that day and nursery soon got to grips with the differnet types. I just let them know what was in her bag every morning :D

so mainly Little Lambs, HL, WNNL, BG, Fuzzi and sometimes even my embroidered WN ( when we felt like showing off a bit how pretty nappies can be :giggle: )

I even sent her in fitteds and wool sometimes and nursery thought they were fab :wine:

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:33 am

When megan was in nappies at nursery we started out with BG pockets but we got leaks so easily with them...they needed to be done up just right to avoid leg gape/leaks and also we found pockets less reliable than fitteds and so she would leak more often...

I sent bamboo little lambs and airflow wraps :)

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:34 am

Dh has problems with some of our applix nappies. He tends to get leg gape with bg and easyfits but manages fine with our greenkids. He does ok with our bgv4 with poppers tho. Hecan't figure out ss nappies despite being a sahd for the last 10 months!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat