When do i go up a size ?

My avatar
AussieMummyAbroad
Clothie
Clothie

When do i go up a size ?

Postby AussieMummyAbroad » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:18 pm

Hi there,

Have just joined the cloth nappy tree, so hope im in the right place for my questions.

Im going to be a 1st time mum in April and have decided to go the cloth nappy route despite all my friends negatives comments ! "Ill give you 2 weeks lasting", "Gross, thats disgusting", "Dont you know how much baby need changing" :evil:

Which just makes me want to have total success with them !! :yahoo:

So, I want to use from Day 1 and was planning to use muslin cloth with a wrap till big enough for something else.

My question is how long would I do this before I either choose a shaped nappy (thinking tots bots) or maybe Terry Squares and what size wraps/nappies should I get and how many in each size ?

Would I need around 5 extra smalls for when using with muslin cloth and then around 5 smalls for early shaped nappies/terry squares and when do I move to medium, approximatly how old will the baby be ?

I have seen some super cute Wee Notion wraps/nappies but dont want to spend lots only to use for a couple of months, want to wait till she can wear for a slightly longer duration as quite expensive but so cute !!

Also Ive seen cute nappie colours/prints but then you need to cover them with a wrap which seemd to defeat the purpose of a cute print on the nappy (talking about 2 part system) Is that right ? or do you ever use a 2 part nappy without a wrap.

Sorry for long message and questions.

Any advise truely welcome

Thanks All :wine:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: When do i go up a size ?

Postby Shaunie » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi & welcome :wave:

Silly comments from your friends will just make you even more determined to use cloth - good for you! I can't answer your new-born nappy questions though because I didn't start with my boys until they were about 3 or 4 months old but there are plenty on here who will be able to help you.

Most people use a wrap with a fitted nappy (a 2 parter) or you could choose wool or fleece also. There's lots of sections on here to browse over & you can ask away if you need.

Congrats on your :pregnant: :D

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:41 pm

Hi :wave:
I'm another Aussie, there's a few of us on here on either side of the world.

I used muslins as nappies for the first couple of weeks on my daughter, but found she was peeing through them too quickly at that stage. She was a big baby though (4.2kg / 9lb i think 4oz) so smaller babies would last longer. At that stage i could have either added a booster to make it last longer or move onto normal nappies, and i chose the normal nappies. We went into small ittis and one-size bg's at the start i think.

For muslins, I bought some that were larger than those you'd get in supermarkets/boots, i think they were 80cm but not certain on that. They were imse vimse brand and I got them on ebay. The larger size was much better for folding for nappy use. And they're still in use now as normal messy cloths/comforter.

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:43 pm

Hi Im a first time mum too due in just over 4 weeks now. Have spent the best part of my pregnancy stalking the classifieds and building up a good vairied stash as I dont know what will suit babys shape yet.
From what Ive been told you will need about 25-35 for the newborn stage if you want to wash every day as they get changed a hell of a lot more often, and then about 25 per size after that.
For the newborn stage I have got 10 tots bots teenyfits. Bought them as ebay seconds very cheep from this seller
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/bargainbots/m.html She doesnt have any in atm, but it might be worth keeping an eye out for when she does get them back in. Or keep an eye on the classifieds as i know a lot of ladies on here have bought some for their new babies and they will prob be up for sale in the not too distant future.
Ive also got 10 diddy diapers. They are simple, very cheep fitteds. Ive got size 1 and 2 little lambs (LL) for when baby gets bigger and then im not suddely panicking that I dont have a nappy to put it in.
I also have a ton of muslins, and some prefolds to bulk out my stash for the early days, and some larger sized nappies and birth to potty (BTP) nappies again for when baby gets bigger and fits into them.

Wrap wise, I really like the look and feel of the thirsties wraps, but havent used them yet, so cant comment on how they will fit when on baby. Also have some LL wraps and pro wraps. I have been busy with my sewing macking and made some fleece soakers, and I have some woolies as well.

I think the important thing is to get a nice varied stash to begin with so that you can chop and change and try things and see what suits you best. You can get simple nappies very very cheeply on the classifieds which will help to bulk your stash out without costing you a fortune, and you can try out some of the more expensive nappies a lot cheeper than if you had to buy them new. Anything that you buy and dont get on with, you can sell on the classifieds and make some of your outlay back so dont worry about buying things that may not work.

Also have a look at your local council as they might run a nappy incentive voucher scheme. I got £45 from my council towards reusables which paid the vast majority of the 10 diddy diappers i bought :wine:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat