hf1

Having trouble converting OH to cloth nappies!

My avatar
twinny11
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Having trouble converting OH to cloth nappies!

Postby twinny11 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:04 pm

Hi all!!

Just wondering if anyone else had trouble convincing their OHs to try cloth?

Our twins are due in a couple of months and I'm determined to try! I am really excited about trying cloth and have already bought my stash! A selection of fitteds - lls, flexitots, diddys, bimbles - and AIOs - ittis, easyfits, and I really hope they're ok!

I'm worried that him, and his family who think I'm bonkers for even suggesting it, are just going to be looking over my shoulder waiting for it to fail!

I've tried to go for nappies that are easy to use in the hope that he will see they are really no more hassle than disposables, and nice soft comfy ones because he seems to think cloth is not as comfy for baby as disposables?? :x

Sorry to ramble but has anyone else had the same experience? or difficulties using cloth nappies or these particular styles - I hope i've made the right choice!

Kate :cnthug:

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Having trouble converting OH to cloth nappies!

Postby gilbertandmartha » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:01 pm

Its funny because DH was the one that first suggested that we use cloth, and was always happy with what I chose to do. But to be honest I think he finds the whole thing overwhelming, and never knows which ones to choose or what goes with what. i think he would have been much happier if i had chosen one type from the beginning. But i couldn't have done that because Riley was always so small and needed skinny minny nappies, and Lockie just went into anything.

I ended up making a few piles and labelling them so 'riley wrap needed' 'Riley no wrap needed' and then the same with the wraps. SO he always knew where to go and what went with what. It wasn't a case for my DH of not being able to use them, but more that he was scared that he wasn't doing it right. But the nappies you have chosen are really easy to use, and unless your OH is a whizz with disposables he probably wont know any different.

Most people think we are bonkers for using cloth with the twins, but it cost so much for disposables it just makes sense.

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:14 pm

i have a problem but he uses spoies and i use cloth i have him most of the time so he in cloth nearly all the time

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Have you asked him which he'd rather wear - scratchy plastic and paper full of chemicals, or nice soft bamboo, cotton and the like?

Stick to your guns, don't forget to ask for help here if you need it and good luck!!!!

My avatar
clairegrace
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby clairegrace » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:26 pm

My OH moans a bit and calls them 'them weird nappies'' he does however, tell people how much cheaper they are. We tend to have the odd pack of disposables knocking around, mainly because i'm only just getting into cloth at nights and at one point he'd have gone and got one of these if he had to do a nappy change, recently he's started reaching for the cloth though :wine: :yahoo:

I think his main problem is having to deal with a poo!! although i've shown him that he just needs to shake the liner down the loo and there's no touching involved!

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:42 pm

DH didnt need any convincing at all, i do all the nappy changes and the nappy washing so at the end of the day its my choice and he respects that, maybe if he had to do a change or put on a wash on it may be different.
Also we live in the countryside and our bins get emptied every fortnight,so what with the amount of foxes etc around and our bins being down the end of the lane, we certainly dont want the mess that could happen there. :puke:
All of our stash have always worked for ds3, but then i have always changed him so cant help there,sorry!
His nursery have no problems using cloth on him , usually i send aplix pockets, Blueberry onesize mainly.
Strangely(i was expecting some comments) his family had no opinions on his wool either :wine:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:44 pm

Stick with it. Try to give him the easiest one's to use initially in an attempt not to put him off further! My DH loves that I use cloth nappies on the boys but he *still* does'nt use them after all this time :x . I keep a few eco-sposies and he'll use them but TBH it's me who does 99.9% of the nappy changes anyway so makes little difference.

I do know that he would never choose to put pampers or huggies and the like on the boys though so I cling onto that!

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby HighlandMum » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:48 pm

My dh thought i had gone mad when i contacted my local nappy group about a trial pack when Sandy was 8 weeks old. He still thinks its a bit daft tbh, and he still doesnt get the difference between fitteds and all in ones (despite them being in different piles lol) but he doesnt moan about it anymore. I think alot of husbands (like some friends and families) have just never heard of or been around cloth nbappies before and they take a while to "get it".

He will come round :) or at the very least just agree to kee the peace ;)

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:54 pm

It was my DH who first wanted to use cloth, before ds was born but I couldn't cope with the idea of having a baby, being responsible for that little being, not knowing how i'd cope with it and giving myself more to do wiht cloth. So i delayed and started him at about 4 or 5 months. I bought one type only, and DH, nursery and DS all got on with it well.

This time around i needed to buy some smaller ones as we did cloth from birth. His one request was that we didn't end up with all different types of nappy, that i try different ones then get one thing that works. Currently we have about 5 different types that we use :giggle: . DH does cope okay, but he's frightened of doing it wrong or picking the wrong things (esp bc some are pockets, some fitteds so he never knows if it needs a wrap), so almost always asks me to get the nappy bits and bobs ready, then he'll do the change.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat