hf1

Having trouble converting OH to cloth nappies!

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Having trouble converting OH to cloth nappies!

Postby lazylexis » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:03 pm

My dh has been happy to go with what i wanted.he's now a sahd and still doesn't get poppered nappies but is ok with applix.he does most of the changes.we use disppsables at night a few times a week tho due to night nappy issues.i did a photo manual for dh about the different nappies- how they went together, whatvinserts went with which nappies, which needed wraps etc which helped.Good luck.

My avatar
MumOf1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby MumOf1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:41 pm

My DH never really had a problem with it as he'd heard about them before due to one of our previous neighbours using cloth. I did all the research on the different types and he never really showed much attention prefering to leave it up to me what we went with. He doesn't get confused between the different types at all but our fitteds are mainly lollipops so they're easily distinguished from the pockets and I'm the one who sorts all the nappies out so they're ready to go if he needs to do a change.

Has your OH seen the nappies so he knows how easy they are to use? I'd let him know exactly how much money you can save by using cloth, you'll be able to get figures online. Also tell him some of the money invested in cloth can be gained back by selling on your cloth when you're finished with it, can't say that about disposables! Also if you're the one who is doing the most nappy changes and washing etc then he can't really complain.

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:50 pm

Mine does not like them but has stopped moaning!! The only comment i get now days are " if you die i am NOT using cloth!"

I just told him i will haunt him :lol:

My avatar
MumOf1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby MumOf1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:54 pm

charlibunny wrote:Mine does not like them but has stopped moaning!! The only comment i get now days are " if you die i am NOT using cloth!"

:giggle:

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:58 pm

My DH has always been really supportive and tells anyone who'll listen that BG's are more reliable than Papmper$ I do 90% of the nappy changes but you know nappies are not too complicated for Dad's to use. DH coped very well with DD's fitted's

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:04 pm

My husband had been quite supportive really..I just make sure that the nappies are straight forward for him...fitted nappies and wraps only. Pockets are too unreliable and prefolds are too fiddly for him. He understands fitteds and wraps/wool so that's what we go with :)

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:09 pm

charlibunny wrote:Mine does not like them but has stopped moaning!! The only comment i get now days are " if you die i am NOT using cloth!"

:hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:

Dh was a cloth bumed baby and is really easy going so when I gave him the pros and cons of cloth vs sposies he was all for cloth. Also as he hasnt ever really changed a nappy before, he is learning from scratch whatever we use so as he says its just as easy for him to learn cloth from scratch as it is sposies.
Every time ive bought a new nappy ive made sure I show it to him, and the prewashes ive done, he has helped me put the nappies back together so he knows what goes where. Ive also made sure that everything has a place on the changing table so bothe him and my mum who will be doing changes know whats what. Im expecting a few mistakes fromt hem both at some point, but who cares, mistakes happen

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:21 pm

My DH has always been very supportive of cloth - he was more pro cloth than me in the beginning, I think (mainly because he knew I'd end up doing the bulk of the washing!) He really hates sposies. At the beginning, he just used to put DD in pockets but he totally 'gets' prefolds as well now and will happily put those on too!

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:27 pm

Another one here whose DH suggested using cloth nappies and even went as far as to research the more popular brands and types of nappies and order trial packs of several of them! :shock:
The idea was that we'd try them out and decide which one worked best, then order a stash of them.
Unfortunately, DH could only get 1 week off work when Erin was born and we spent most of that week back & forth to the hospital, so when it actually came down to trying them out I felt completely overwhelmed by it all (oh if only I'd know about this site back then...) and ended up using sposies for the first 5 months of Erin's life :-?
Once we made the switch though, we've not looked back :mrgreen: From my point of view, they're so much more reliable than sposies. We've only had 1or 2 leaks, back when we first started using them and I was using a wrap that was too small, causing wicking :roll: You soon learn the know-how and what works best though. Cloth is also so much kinder to her skin too, and it's very rare that she has nappy rash.
I've since branched out (since finding this site & the classifieds :giggle: ) and now have several types of cloth nappies on the go. DH, so far, has been fine with all of them, though I do try to have them all set up, so all he has to do is grab a nappy & put it on.
The only person who does find the whole cloth nappy thing a tad difficult is my mum (who looks after Erin while I'm at work) but that's only because she finds the whole fitted nappy thing a lot tricker than the terry squares she used on me and my brother & sister! I've told her if she could do origami nappies, she'll be fine with fitteds :giggle:

Dooby x

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat