hf1

Having trouble converting OH to cloth nappies!

My avatar
AAMum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Having trouble converting OH to cloth nappies!

Postby AAMum » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:31 pm

I stuck to Bumgenius and BBOS for my hubby and he was fine with them. I will use fitted/wool but he just sticks to what he knows!

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:10 pm

My OH mostly just rolls his eyes and lets me get on with it. But I have caught him telling other parents how great they are occaisionally, and he will sometimes comment on how cute they look. And having changed a couple of up to the neck sposie explosions, he is pretty appreciative of their reliability as well :giggle:

The waste issue is quite a good argument - on the occaisions we have used disposables for a week or so there is a very noticable increase in the volume of rubbish and it smells SO BAD. You forget just how bad disposables stink after a while in cloth.

Oh, and once ds came home from nursery or somewhere in a disposable that was so full that the gel stuff had leaked out all over him. It was so gross, and it just can't be good having chemicals like that on a baby's skin. So that was a big tick for cloth too :D

He does get a bit confused with all the different kinds though and whether they need a wrap or not. But as long as there is something avaialble that he recognises it is fine. :D

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:10 pm

my df still thinks I'm mad after 2 years of cloth :giggle: but tough!

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:32 pm

My oh started off completely against cloth but as I do 99% of the nappy changes I just took no notice and did it anyway - to start with I kept a tiny stash of disposables for him, then I stopped buying them and taught him how to use some of the pockets. Now he will change any type of nappy and I have even heard him talking to his mates about Tylers amazing nappies :giggle:

My avatar
twinny11
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby twinny11 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:09 pm

ladybird wrote:Have you asked him which he'd rather wear - scratchy plastic and paper full of chemicals, or nice soft bamboo, cotton and the like?

Stick to your guns, don't forget to ask for help here if you need it and good luck!!!!

:giggle:
Yeah I did say that! I think I got a grunt in response, he is being supportive though, agreeing to try them out when they get here, I think just to shut me up more than anything!

I think as some of you said he hasn't ever come across anyone using them before but he seems quite taken with CNT - surprised at how many of you there are out there! I also think people's first thoughts are of terry squares and awful ballooned plastic wraps! (like my mum used on me) but there are so many different options out there and as it is me which will end up doing most of the changing once he goes back to work...

I think the waste thing is a huge factor with us, not just because it's twins so will be doubly expensive but also we live in a terraced house on a main street and have no dustbin, we just have a bag collection every week so I just imagine bagfuls of stinky nappies outside our front door 6/7 days, lucky not to have been torn open by foxes!

Thanks for everyone's comments! I think he will come round, when the ittis arrived he seemed secretly impressed and thought they were pretty 'cool', they are my favs as well as the moment but haven't got to try any of them out yet!

:cnthug:

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:19 pm

Buy a couple of custome weenotions and get him involved in choosing the fabric and embroydery. He will prob warm to one he helped make iykwim

My avatar
shellbean
Clothie
Clothie

Postby shellbean » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:42 am

I was lucky really he wasn't keen on the idea but he could tell how determined I was from the outset. TBH he's not keen on having to deal with any poo issues at all bless him. He understands how much money we will save and also how cute some of them are coupled with them being comfy and better for bums.

My avatar
clairegrace
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby clairegrace » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:49 pm

Forgot to say, I had a custom weenotion made for Grace for her christening with OH's football team on it...... he's very proud and gets it out to show all his friends!! :hohoho:

My avatar
Miranda
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Miranda » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:31 am

As you're having twins, aside from the points above, especially the waste I think cost is going to be a big issue here.

If you were to use a branded disposable you could spend up to £1700 per baby (at least that was the value of the prize of a lifetime's supply offered in a magazine a year or two ago) . With offers and vouchers you could probably get that down to around £1k per baby. If the cost of fuel increases further, disposables will become more expensive still as a larger proportion of their cost relates to transport as they're bulky but used once.

With cloth, you don't even need a full set per baby, you need a washing machine load plus enough per baby till your machine load is washed and dry and a few spare in case of too many poos. For most with twins this can be around 30 nappies in total.

I'd imagine you could save a minimum of £1-1.5k maybe as much as £2K after washing costs etc all included.

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat