hf1

smelly wee

My avatar
tammy79
Clothie
Clothie

smelly wee

Postby tammy79 » Fri May 30, 2008 4:16 am

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions for dealing with very smelly urine!! Past couple of months Jacksons pee has been very strong, i have to hold my breath when emptying nappy bucket as the ammonia smell gets up my nose. I can often smell it when i walk into his bedroom in the morning and I can smell it on his PJs and sheets even tho they arent wet. I use baby beehind bamboos mostly, PUL wraps during day and wool or fleece wraps overnight. I'm hoping its not because he's not drinking enough, still BF 4-5 or more a day but he doesnt drink a lot of water, tho nappies seem to be wet enough. I'm feeling a little shameful- used dispos for a few days :oops: when stayed over at my mum's house and didnt notice any urine smell even overnight (tho poos seemed 10 times smellier!) Any ideas?

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Re: smelly wee

Postby beck » Fri May 30, 2008 6:54 am

It could be a washng powder build up in the nappies so stripping them may help. I do know whst you mean tho Phebies night nappies bring tears to my eyes they are so strong.

My avatar
joodel
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby joodel » Fri May 30, 2008 7:31 am

Night nappies can be nasty...I agree! I usually try and put a few drops of lavender or tea tree oil in my nappy bucket on a piece of damp muslin to combat the smell! Have gagged a few times loading the washing machine when I've forgotten!

Try stripping your nappies, as Beck said, and pop some vinegar into the rinse water with a couple of drops of lavender or tea tree oil too...should give you nice fresh smelling nappies.

My avatar
nic1
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby nic1 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:48 am

Could he be teething? Sometimes that can make for really smelly wees, hope you find the cause.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Fri May 30, 2008 8:14 am

If you still smell the wee in the nappies when they come out of the machine, you can try adding about 2 teaspoons of bicarb soda to the wash. When I lift the lid off the bucket, my eyes water with all the ammonia, but I just quickly shovel it into the machine.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri May 30, 2008 10:27 am

Louis started having that at a similar age and ever since I've made sure I do a very quick cold rinse and they dont' seem as bad now. Agree some drops of tt or lavender oil in the bucket help too!

My avatar
millercl_6
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby millercl_6 » Fri May 30, 2008 11:14 am

i was getting this problem and still do somethimes i suggest regular changes during the day this helps, putting a few drops of lavender oil in the wash keeps nappies smelling nice and tree tee oil in the nappy bucket which has helped alot.

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:15 pm

We had this problem for a little while. It was due to a build up of powder residue from a cheap own brand powder. I had to do several strip washes to get rid of it. We switched back to Ariel Bio and since then I've never had them smell like that again.

I'd say definitely try stripping them to make sure there is no residue and cold rinsing before the main wash if you can is really helpful too.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat