hf1

Want a selection of real nappies but is this too many?

My avatar
weebee
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Want a selection of real nappies but is this too many?

Postby weebee » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:10 am

I have been researching real nappies thoroughly and have narrowed it down to quite a few nappies that I'd like to try out on my first baby which is due in April. I don't have a tumble drier or much outside drying space so want quick drying pocket type nappies or similar for day but I'd like to use a more absorbent, longer drying 2 in one for overnight. I was thinking of ordering the following from the nappy lady and my local nappuccino lady:
1 x BumGenius One-Size 4.0 with aplix fastening
1 x Tots Bots Easyfit V2
1 x Flip Nappy Trial Pack
1x Tots Bots Stretchies size 2
1 x size 1 Bambinex teddy
1 x size 2 Bambinex teddy
1 x roll of Tots bots disposable Liners
Tots Bots Fleece Liners x 3
1 x Bummis Super Brite Nappy Wraps
2x Tots Bots Flexi-Wrap size 0
(I'll then order bamboo liners and pretty nappies like blueberries and handmade ones from littlebabybugs once baby is a bit bigger and I know I'm actually using the re-useable!)

That order will give me 6 nappies plus I’m buying some second hand “lollipop” nappies from a friend and the style she has sound more like terries so needed to be folded (and then secured with a nippa?) and a wrap put over the top (I’m getting 2 dozen of these plus 2 nappy buckets for £20). I'm hoping that the 3 wraps I have will suffice as I take it these don't need changing at every nappy change.

Am I being too indecisive re: what real nappies to use? Should I narrow my selection further? I don’t want to spend a fortune on a brand or 2 of nappies that I don’t get on with but equally I don’t want to spend a lot on a selection if I end up loving just one of the brands. That said, a wise mumsnetter pointed out that nappies have a good re-sale value so I guess I could always re-sell some as a sample set? Plus this is only my first baby and I do hope to go on to have more and would love to be able to re-use nappies for them, so long as they have survived the wash! I guess I can always keep the samples for other babies too as different baby’s fit different styles of nappies. But are there any above that any of you think simply aren't worth trying?

Thanks so much for your wisdom!

My avatar
babygrowbelly
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Want a selection of real nappies but is this too many?

Postby babygrowbelly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:13 am

I don't think you can ever have too many :giggle: :oops: however I am no real use as I didn't 'discover' cloth until my son was about 7 months so I am sure those who have used from birth will be able to tell you what is a realistic amount of nappies to need :wink: x

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:33 am

If you're getting a lot from your friend then that sounds enough to start with. The ones you like most you can then buy more of. There are quite a few nappy websites that do free trials so you pay a weekly hire charge and return the nappies at the end of it. Definitely worth looking into. Babykind offers this service and also will give 70% refund on nappies that you have tried and not got on with.

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:35 am

I will just say that a lot of the 'birth to potty' ones (like Bumgenius etc) don't tend to fit newborns well, they normally need to be a little bit bigger before they start working well.

I don't think you can ever have too many :giggle: I am another who didn't discover cloth until my daughter was a little bit older, but I do remember just how many times a day newborns need their nappy changing...! I think most people have said that to be on the safe side, to have about 8 (minimum) nappies per day. So then you need to decide how often you want to be washing (and obviously they'll need time to dry etc). I have bought most of my newborn stash from the classifeds on here, I think I've only bought two brand new ones so far. It just works out cheaper that way, while you discover what works best for you :D

I have bought a mix of fitteds (the 2 part ones that need a wrap/cover) and all in ones. Fitteds - I mainly have Motherease Sandys, Diddy Diapers, Little Lambs, Bimbles. I think Little Lambs are a very popular choice, people seem to get on with them usually. I use them on my daughter too and I love them - I have some bamboo ones which take AGES to dry but are so absorbent - and I also have some microfibre ones which are great as they dry so fast and I don't have a tumbledryer. I have a mix of wraps and fleece soakers to go over all these. Then for all in ones (the 'dad proof' ones lol) I have some teenyfits and am going to get some Weenotions pockets. I do have some of the birth to potty pockets (Coolababy, eBay nappies etc) which I currently use on my daughter but will use on the baby too once he/she is bigger.

I think the best advice is don't buy too many of one nappy at first, try lots of different ones. And check out the classifieds :wink:

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:04 am

i would either hire nappies or buy on classifieds if you don't know what to get. We got two different ones and then bought a kit based on the one that we thought was softest (TB fluffles). We had 18 when she was first born which was fine as the dried very quickly (microfibre dries quickest, bamboo dries slowest) I would get a few more wraps, and nb poo is notorious for getting everywhere.

I would get more smaller ones (for example, get a teenyfit instead of an easyfit, size 1 instead of size 2) as they will give abetter idea of the fit.

My avatar
weebee
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby weebee » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks everyone! Lots of food for thought!

I'm actually thinking of using muslins as terry style fold up nappies with liners (as advocated by the nappy lady) for when baby is newborn size so I guess a few more wraps would be very helpful. Plus I plan on using the free huggies and pampers (sorry for these swear words!) which I seem to be accumulating at the moment! Waste not, want not!!

With the re-sale value being as high as it is, I'm quite sceptical about hiring nappies to start with as that seems a bit like "wasted money"- unless you re-coup it when you buy. I'll keep a look out on the classifieds here though!

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:51 pm

I just had to try one of everything out to see which worked the best!

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:01 pm

emmalala wrote:I just had to try one of everything out to see which worked the best!

i did the same but only found cloth when ryan was 4 months old

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:04 pm

Dan was 5 months too

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat