hf1

First nappy dilemma

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: First nappy dilemma

Postby charlibunny » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:56 pm

Stanleys 1st nappy will be the starburst teenyfit chosen by DH, and his tweedlebum romper that again DH picked to be made. It just makes it more special for me that way.

Have you asked your DH what he thinks?

My avatar
queen bee
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby queen bee » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:01 pm

One thing I'd want to take into account, as well as the bulkiness issue, is how hot you can wash the nappy. The first few nappies are probably going to be filled with sticky dark meconium that could stain and you might want to boil wash them to remove stains. Would you want to boil wash the pockets?

With newborns I prefer to use fitteds and a wrap so there are 2 gusset lines of defense against explosive newborn bf poos. I don't mind nappies being a bit bulky.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:03 pm

queen bee wrote:One thing I'd want to take into account, as well as the bulkiness issue, is how hot you can wash the nappy. The first few nappies are probably going to be filled with sticky dark meconium that could stain and you might want to boil wash them to remove stains. Would you want to boil wash the pockets?

With newborns I prefer to use fitteds and a wrap so there are 2 gusset lines of defense against explosive newborn bf poos. I don't mind nappies being a bit bulky.

I actually never had any probs with meconium stains at all, its the bf poo ones that are worse I think :lol: You could always pop a dark fleece liner in the teenyfits anyway if you are worried.

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:04 pm

My teenyfits have fleece liners already in them, so i am guessing only the liner will stain. I find the yellow poop the hardest to get out but nothing the sun won't solve!

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:06 pm

i started clara in muslins, but that would have been too difficult for dh so i imagine her actual first one was a small itti d'lish sio to make it easy for him. i remember she definitely had one of those one when we saw the two paeds but that may well have been the next day, i can't rmember. they fit her well from birth, but she was a big baby (4.2kg / 9lb4oz)

i wouldn't worry about the meconium, i just washed normally (35 degrees) and it all just came out, i didn't even need to sun it out i don't think.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:10 pm

We didn't have any staining issues... I did wash everything at 60 in Ariel though ;)

My avatar
queen bee
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby queen bee » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:15 pm

That's great news about staining not being a problem. I might have to get some teenyfits for next time round. Easyfits are supposede to be BTP - anyone tried one on a newborn? I love my easyfits for Lily.

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:25 pm

Ive got a beautiful summer rainbows newborn puddlekins which is going to be covered with a nanny knitted soaker which DH picked the colour of. Its different shades of green and khaki so imagin almost army camo. Am a little peved that my pretty nappy is being covered in camo :giggle: but he let me have the nappy so its only fair I let him pick the cover I suppose.

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:31 pm

I had this debate as well and have decided on a Teenyfit (white) because it won't be as bulky as the OWW+wrap/soaker, and much more husband friendly. Still kind of debating the Lil Joeys... The cord popper is appealing, but then the aplix on the teenyfit will be easier for Mark to cope with at first anyway, which is why I swayed towards it.

I have the Teenyfits fleece lined already, and a bag of fitteds ready to come to hospital with me if we have to stay any longer (as I only have 10 teenyfits!!)

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat