hf1

Some Questions

My avatar
Anig
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Some Questions

Postby Anig » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:40 pm

I'm just going to type these out as they come to me, so please bear with me if they don't make sense. :) (And please feel free to move this post if I put it in the wrong place.)

Is the 'rise' of a nappy the measurement from the front to the back?

Which fabric is best as a waterproof outer on an AIO? The BGs have PUL, but the Happy Heinys have laminated polyester - is this also waterproof?

Which fabric is best on the inside of a nappy (next to baby's skin) to keep them feeling driest for longest? Are there any that draw the moisture in better than others?

Is 'wicking' drawing moisture away, or leaking?

Which fabrics are the most absorbant - for stuffing pockets, etc?

What is an AI2?

I know some of the answers will be down to personal taste. :)

Thank you.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Some Questions

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:45 pm

Is the 'rise' of a nappy the measurement from the front to the back? - Yeap this is how far the nappy reaches round from the waist under the nappy all the way to the waist at the back

Which fabric is best as a waterproof outer on an AIO? The BGs have PUL, but the Happy Heinys have laminated polyester - is this also waterproof? PUL and laminated polyester is basically the same thing, the HH prints are I believe originally cotton and then have the laminate applied whereas the PUL is more woven all together. Some of it is personal choice which is best, generally the laminated stuff has better designs, but the poly PUL works the best interms of waterproofness

Which fabric is best on the inside of a nappy (next to baby's skin) to keep them feeling driest for longest? Are there any that draw the moisture in better than others? fleece is the best stay dry bit

Is 'wicking' drawing moisture away, or leaking? wicking is leaking out onto clothes

Which fabrics are the most absorbant - for stuffing pockets, etc? bamboo, microfibre, hemp

What is an AI2? Hmm, these I believe are like pocket nappies, but instead of putting the stuffing inside the nappy, you lay it ontop (treating the pocket a bit like a wrap) and put the stuffing next to the baby's skin, then you can reuse the wrap pocket part next time

HTH!

Thank you.[/quote]

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby trogette » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:09 pm

I would say re 'wicking' it depends on the context, I would use 'wicking through' to describe the action of a fleece layer over a hemp inner, for example, as well as 'pressure wicking' or 'the leg binding was wicking'

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Little Pants » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:22 pm

AI2's are popins. Basically it's a wrap with poppers, and you popper the absorbent layer onto the wrap, so It's like an AIO to go on, but you just popper off the wet bit and replace it, instead of having to change everything every time. Having separate bits mean they wash and dry better.

Here's an example. Sorry this is French, but it's the best pictorial example I've found!

http://www.colibri-nurserie.com/index.php?page=29&lg=1

My avatar
Anig
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Anig » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:55 pm

Is an Itt Bitti D'Lish a sort of AI2, then? I had no idea nappies were this complicated - my husband thinks I've gone mad, but there's a lot to learn... :)

I think I need to add an extra question as well - when did everyone find that they started using separate 'night nappies' and couldn't just use or boost their normal daytime ones?

My avatar
buzzybee21
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby buzzybee21 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:07 am

Yep - d'lish's are AI2s :D

My dp knows I'm mad but does as he is told when it comes to nappies ;)

We have always had separate night and day nappies (from 4 months). It depends on what you use and how heavily your baby wets (and therefore how much liquid they drink because it all comes from somewhere!) as to what you need in your collection. If your bubs sleeps through the night, you need something that is more absorbent than you would use during the day when you can change them whenever. We use tots bots, clwt twts and a jimmy riddles at night (all fitteds with wool over) and a mixture of bumbles, AI2s and pockets during the day. The bumbles can be boosted for overnight use so are pretty flexible if needs be. If I had believed everything the nappy lady said I would have a large collection of white bumbles with booster for overnights.

As it is, I hang around on sites like this and have lots of colourful nappies ;)

Hope that helps....... ;)

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:14 pm

Since Kayleigh wasn't a heavy wetter at first, we didn't need a different night nappy until she was about 14 months old. Until she was about 8 months old she was using a cotton little lamb with just the one cotton insert in it (and she was sleeping 9-10 hours at that stage). From 8-14 months a BG with microfibre and an easy peasy insert (what we use for days now) was fine. Now we have bamboo night notions with an extra hemp insert in there and it is all sopping by morning.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat