hf1

Tummy sleeping - leaking

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Tummy sleeping - leaking

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:08 pm

Wool is great at night. You should try a dedicated night nappy, have a browse through classifieds to see what is for sale for both nappies and wool. Also you could try fleece at night as well, either a soaker or longies

My avatar
jebcorinne
Clothie
Clothie

Postby jebcorinne » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:15 pm

Thanks for all the replies. She is 6 months old. The leaking is up at the tummy not at the legs anywhere. I have been using a bummis organic large to stuff my BG. Last few nights I have folded all the excess at the front and she has only leaked once since then, but still don't know why she did that time. as she is definitely not outwetting the nappy completely, its dry at the back. I could try a microfibre insert on top.
Someone gave me some wool longies before she was born but I've been nervous to use them. They feel itchy to me. Is this normal? And also I've worried about her getting to hot. Do you just put these on the baby with a t-shirt for bed?
Also she has a nappy at 6.30pm then at 11.30pm or 12am and wakes about 7am problems can occur with either of these.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:25 am

First of all the wool longies - as long as they are 100% wool she will not get too hot. Wool is breathable so it is warm when you are cold but cooling when you are hot. PUL is plastic. It is not breathable so it is sweaty when you are warm. Lots of moms here put wool shorties on their babies in summer to keep them nice & cool. Wool needs to be lanolised to make a waterproof layer. Are you woolies lanolised do you think?

If the longies aren't 100% wool, they can be used like pul covers (wash after a wear or 2, wool only needs washing every couple of weeks or so).

Secondly, your dd is at the age where stuffing day nappies doesn't cut it anymore & many move on to dedicated night nappies. Weenotion night nappies are a good all rounder & are easy to get on classifieds here. Your dd is only leaking at the tummy because that is where her wet zone is & sleeping on her front, I wouldn't expect her to outwet the whole nappy as there is nothing to make the wet travel up to the back.

The other option is to use better inserts. you are using cotton & microfibre which are the worst absorbers. Try using a double bamboo insert with a hemp booster underneath. That is the best combination. Wool will also be a huge help as it allows some of the moisture to evaporate (because it is breathable) so the inserts will have to absorb less liquid.

Hope that helps

My avatar
jebcorinne
Clothie
Clothie

Postby jebcorinne » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks for the info about the wool.
We did ok last night with bummis organic topped with a microfibre in a flip cover. I've lanolised the longies last night so we'll try those tonight, I can't afford anymore nappies just yet so I'll nippa my bummis, I do find those to be incredibly thirsty! And think I have a couple of bamboo boosters so might put those into the wet zone as well just to try. The longies have enough room for the nappy to get quite bulky.

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat