hf1

Newbie-ish and need advice

My avatar
taznmaple
Clothie
Clothie

Newbie-ish and need advice

Postby taznmaple » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:37 am

New here, have been lurking for a while and would value your wisdom!

DD (6 weeks) has been in cloth from birth - mostly terry squares (bat/origami fold) which seem to be mostly OK - last 2-3 hrs (up to 4-5hrs overnight) before being soaked and some MEOS which don't seem to last so well, even when boosted although the fit is good (no leg leaks). I am guessing she is a fairly heavy wetter.

I like the terries, but I would like some more 'easy to fit' nappies for when we are out and about/grandparents and eventually am guessing we will need something more absorbent at night - preferably poppers, reasonably fast drying and absorbent.

So ideas please!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Newbie-ish and need advice

Postby littlesez » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:53 am

:wave: If you like terries you could try bamboo ones they are more absorbent than cotton :wink:

With regards to fast drying and absorbent, the more absorbent something is then it absorobs more water so therefore it takes longer to dry so you kinda have to compromise a bit there i am afraid. However when you look at a nappy if it folds out flat like terries then it is faster to dry.

Little lambs or tots bots are a good value fitted and fab for new babies they are pretty much the same but different fits so maybe get a couple 2nd hand to see which you like.

Of course there are more fancy fitted nappies more absorbent ones and prettier ones but then they become more expensive. still cheaper than sposies though :twisted:

Then you have pockets and all in ones to consider. Have fun!

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

Probably best to stick to fitteds and a wrap until your lo has filled out a bit, we used to use tots bots with motherease wraps, these were fantastic after my struggle with pockets and aios with the tiny thighs but then i was using only microfibre inserts and doing bodysuits up over them so they wicked :roll: now they work fine though and are all we use.
Have a little look on the classifieds, there is always lots to try and they are so cheap, if you decide to try pockets check out the ebay cheapies before going for more expensive ones, and have a look for some hemp/bamboo inserts/boosters to help soak up all that wee, microfibre isnt always very good on its own and most pockets only come with one or two MF inserts xx

My avatar
taznmaple
Clothie
Clothie

Postby taznmaple » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:03 am

thank you! I think part of the problem is I've spent too long looking at different kinds of nappies online!

SmilingLou - I was wondering if fitteds might be the way to go - are there some OSFM that are more absorbent than the MEOS? I'm really trying to keep the cost down!

I guess what's annoying me about the MEOS is that it doesn't seem to be very absorbent but still can take an entire day to dry on the line :waiting:

Bamboo terries might be the way to go, am a little worried that the only fold that I really like is the origami one and I think DD will grow out of that before too long :(

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:26 am

you could maybe try bumgenius flip nappies or weehuggers, the inserts dry very quickly and you could use the wraps over your terries when at home.

My avatar
clairegrace
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby clairegrace » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:12 am

Hi, bamboo fitteds tend to be more absorbant than cotton terry or microfibre. Ie. bamboo little lambs or tots bots bamboozles or stretchys. Personally i'd get a few on the classifieds and see what suits your LO. We use mainly pockets, and most of them are Ebay cheepies! Fitteds wise, I have a combination of bamboo little lambs, tots bamboozles and stretchies which we use boosted for nights. I think fitted wise, my fave would be the tots stretchies as they are more or less BTP.

Must admit, the bamboo nappies do tend to take an age to dry though unless you give them a quick blast in the dryer to finish them off :lookround:

Good luck, hope you find something that works for you xxx :hug:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat