hf1

BG and Baby Development

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: BG and Baby Development

Postby becky1978 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:48 pm

Total agreement with the other ladies. Both of mine have been cloth bums, the first one crawled at 12 months and walked at 16, the 2nd one crawled at 8 months and walked at 12, and he was born 2 months early! The 'normal' development stages span such a huge amount of time ie 'normal' walking time according to the 'experts' is anything from 8-20 months. Don't worry and burn the book :twisted:

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:59 pm

Move away from the book :wink:

They just develop at their own rate with very little regard for what's catching the poop.

My avatar
cumbrianlass
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby cumbrianlass » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:05 pm

My first was late to roll, move, walk etc etc. I used to take her to playgroup and while everyone else's baby was rolling around, pushing up or whatever she would just lay there. :roll:

Spoke to my GP about it at one point, as like you was worried she wasn't developing in line with the books and she said much the same as all the other posters, each baby is different and they all develop different skills at different times, there are very few babies who comply with the averages. Plus, she said that most developmental timelines were drawn up years ago, when babies used to sleep on their tummies more. This meant on average they pushed up earlier and moved earlier than back sleepers.

My second was the opposite. Rolled, crawled, walked etc early. No.1 was only in cloth from 4 months, No.2 from birth.

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby LynniferT » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:57 pm

my hubby says the same thing about our DD and her development... drives me nuts!!! Our other 3 wore sposies.
He says daft things like she'll walk bow legged with all that cloth between her legs. I generally roll my eyes :roll: and tell him my sister (who is 27 and wore terries) isn't bow legged and DD nappies (BG) are slimmer than terries!

DD isn't rolling or anything yet and she is 6.5 months, but she is also my 1st girlie and I think she's just a lazy 'so and so'... like her mother :giggle:

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:59 pm

I think someone else has pinted out before that Linford Christie would have worn cloth :wink:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:15 pm

show him this thread!

izzy rolled over ridiculously early no one even believes me how young she was. First steps at 10 months and she worw HUGE terry squares and BG :wink: She had tons of nappy free tiome to and thats good for all babies so they can have a good kick and feel free :D

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby confusinglady » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:31 pm

Both of mine cloth bummed and 1st walked at 9montgs and 2nd is trying to run at 10 months! The padding definitely helps when she falls down :D
None of mine were early rollers, they both sat and maybe even stood before they rolled. They all find their own way to move themselves about no matter what they re wearing. My youngest was born on the same day as a friends son and he wears sposies. He moved by pushing kicking his feet along the floor on his back and has been content to sit for ages when my LO was crawling. He s crawling in his own way now. Just saying that you can t compare really and the milestones are just a guide to help identify any difficulties in general development. Unless you have any other concerns regarding their development, don t worry.
Xxxx

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:39 pm

megansmummy wrote:Cloth used to be the only option before sposies were invented and people developed just fine...

Cloth nappies are a fairly recent invention too. Before cloth everyone EC'd and many parents still do in other cultures.

However, there is no evidence that cloth nappies cause development problems. In fact, they are recommended for babies with hip dysplasia. :wink:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:44 pm

cloth benefited Gracie actually as she had turny innie hips, which meant turny innie knees and feet so cloth helped her alignment and apparently children like her often go on to be very sporty and good runners like linford and boy Gracie can run :wink:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat