Tamanu oil instead of tea tree oil?

My avatar
ameliepoulin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Tamanu oil instead of tea tree oil?

Postby ameliepoulin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Good evening ladies,

I've come across the piece of info according to twhich Tamanu oil has disinfectant properties and was wondering whether it can be used instead of the tea tree oil in the nappy bucket. Has anyone used it? Are there other oils that can be used in case I cannot find tea tree oil? (I live overseas and have postage issues sometimes).

Thank you,
C.

My avatar
cumbrianlass
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Tamanu oil instead of tea tree oil?

Postby cumbrianlass » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:58 pm

I've never used it, think it is heavily used in the south pacific and not so much in Europe? It looks pretty good as an essential oil. Only thing I would caution about is it being a nut oil, so need to be careful re allergies, although looks to be lots of traditional remedies which use it for nappy rash treatment.

From looking at it, it looks like it has anti-sceptic and healing properties. Tea tree has anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal which is why it is so good for the nappy bucket, as it helps to keep in check any nasties lurking on the nappies waiting to be washed.

Here is a list of essential oils that are anti-bacterial http://www.anandaapothecary.com/articles/antibacterial-essential-oils.html and here is one which list those that are safe to use with babies http://www.abundanthealth4u.com/Essential_Oils_Care_for_Babies_and_Children_s/40.htm.

Some oils are very expensive, others less so. Chamomile for some reason is ££££ right now which is a shame. I would recommend lavender if you can't get tea tree.

Steer clear of Thyme oil though, I tried it once and it was :puke: smelling!

My avatar
ameliepoulin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: Tamanu oil instead of tea tree oil?

Postby ameliepoulin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:32 am

Wow, such invauable ressources, thanks a lot for the pieces of info. I found a zillion oils here: akomaskincare.co.uk, more than reasonable prices plus they come from sustainable sources and are fairtrade! Ordered a bunch already :)

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat