hf1

Fallen out of love with any of your nappies?

My avatar
Claire
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Fallen out of love with any of your nappies?

Postby Claire » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:43 am

After raving and raving about all of my pockets, I think I've fallen out of love with some of them. My BG's were the first pockets I tried and I know they're nothing spectacular but I thought they were so reliable and such a good fit. I've got 10 v2's bought at various times over the past 6 months or so. I thought that some of them felt a little odd when I was stuffing them and when I cam to put them on, I've noticed that the leg elastic has totally gone in them. There are 2 that have gone completely and 2 that are on their way. I admit that the most recent ones I bought (from the bogof offers and were made in Egypt rather than USA) are still fine and have always looked a better quality. I am just so disappointed in them. The website I bought them off took a while to get back to me and then said that the outers would be replaced with v2's as they are less than a year old. Does that mean that if they were 13 months old they wouldn't repalce faulty nappies that are meant to be birth to potty? I'm wondering what to do now. Do I wait for the others to go too before I send them back? Part of me thinks, is it even worth it? To post them back to the UK and maybe it will happen again? Have any of you found this with your BG's?

They were always the nappy that I tried to convert people with and thought they were so foolproof but now I am even more in love with my Greenkids :D

On top of that my itti bittis aren't fitting very well anymore. They didn't fit well at first because her legs were too skinny. Then she plumped up a bit and they were great. Now I have to have them on the loosest setting, otherwise they really dig in to the tops of her legs but they just don't contain anything. I spent an hour cleaning my rug :? :oops: ( I ask, why in a house with a tiled floor did she find the one bit of carpet in the whole house!!!). They are at the back of my basket now too. I guess I should sell some things on really. Just wondered what nappies you have all had problems with?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Fallen out of love with any of your nappies?

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:58 am

Definately - I think between starting with proper nappies at 5-6 months (after using prefolds which I TOTALLY fell out of love with very quickly!!)

I loved my bamboo beehinds for ages but then they just didn't fit right anymore - they'd probably fit well again now...

Trouble is that babies change shape so much between weaning onto solids and walking when they slim down...
Isabelle really chubbed up around 5-7months then started slimming down but has changed shape so many times in between... For example our huggles I bought at 6months were larges, then after only just buying them I could barely get them done up round the waist, but once she slimmed down they were great again until they were too short in the rise at around 18months...

I think this is the problem with BTP nappies - they get used so much more heavily than shaped fitteds or pockets which get phased out as they grow... And some just aren't BTP... Isabelle hasn't fitted our easy-peasy bambeasys for ages! But then bamboo shrinks when washed at anything more than 40 or tumbledried (even on low - or so I've found anyway)...

We loved our HHs for ages but recently because they're cotton prints and toddlers tend to do huge wees in one go rather than lots of little sprinkles like babies - they're just not lasting longer than 2hrs, which is fine for nursery but I rarely use them at home now preferring my weenotions...

We're also having problems with lastin - we've got several brands of nappy made with lastin and I don't know what I'm doing wrong but it keeps going! Am I just wearing it out or is there something wrong with our washing routine? And yes it's very annoying when the leg elastic goes on nappies and you're suddenly short by a few!!
Thankfully one of the WAHMs has been very very helpful and is re-elasticating the nappies they made so we're saved!
Just wish I knew what I was doing wrong - I've even stopped using vinegar!

I've sold a fair few as we grew out of or grew out of love with along the way and that meant I could fund other ones to try which definately saved our nappying days!

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:27 am

I'm another who thought the BGs were fantastic, to the extent we now have 14. Whilst none of the elastic has gone, they are looking tired and they leave really red marks around her legs. Some of the other nappies leave indentation marks, but the BG ones look so sore :(

I don't reach for them any more. DH still uses them, but he makes sure he alternates a BG with a different type of nappy, to ensure her legs don't get too sore. He used to use BGs all day, every day.

I'm sure she'll slim down fairly soon, and then the BGs will fit again. But whilst she has such chubby (FAT :) ) little legs, they aren't a great fit.

My avatar
pinkydinkydoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby pinkydinkydoo » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:35 am

I bought lots of onesize pockets and only used them a few times before i realised that they were the cause of dd's nasty rash, the poppers down the front of then were rubbing her skin and causing blisters. I'm gutted coz i loved them and they cost us a lot of money :evil: . From now on i'm just sticking with sized nappies.

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Little Pants » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:28 pm

Off topic I know, but there's another good reason for not buying nappies from The States and Australia! It costs far less in postage and replacements arrive far quicker if you have faulty nappies from UK or even Europe, than having to post back to Australia or the States, and wait for the return!!

I had a customer with a faulty popper on a p'tits dessous, and the replacement arrived in 2 days! I refunded her postage for the return to me, and it cost 42p.

I'm trying not to to sound smug or anything - really!!! :oops:

Seriously though BG's just dont' seem to have the staying power do they?

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:21 pm

We got 2 V1 pre-loved BG's when Kayleigh was 11 months (our first try of pocket nappies), and they are still going strong. We now have 6 V2's as well. The V1's don't have as nice fabric, but otherwise are fine. The V2's are fine except for a bit of bobbling near the aplix. I still like my cotton HH's (strawberry shortcake prints) but don't trust them as much as other pockets. Actually I don't think I really dislike anything I have tried with the exception of the wonderoo (just not the right fit), but we have been lucky in that the shape changes we have had haven't been all that drastic. I'm just bored with the fabrics of the BG's although they make a very good nursery workhorse.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat