hf1

Ethical Nappies

My avatar
heidiFYP
Clothie
Clothie

Ethical Nappies

Postby heidiFYP » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:04 pm

Would love to hear your views on the importance of ethics when it comes to buying real nappies.
I'm sure most of us decided to use cloth because of environmental concerns, but what about the people making the nappies?
Would you prefer a WAHM making your nappies or a child in bad conditions in China?
Would this affect your decision to buy a brand of nappy?
Thanks in advance everyone

My avatar
sweetiepups
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Ethical Nappies

Postby sweetiepups » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:15 pm

I would definitely prefer to buy ethically.

I love to get WAHM made items because I love the fact that it enables mums to work from home often with their little ones close by.

I often hide behind my own ignorance when it comes to this issues, very very cheap flannels worry me a bit but as I am not sure how they are so cheap, I carry on regardless.

Its lovely when a product comes with all its info, so you can feel sure that its been produced ethically. Didymos slings info is great.

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:49 pm

I love WAHM stuff so I know where its come from

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:57 pm

If I'm honest, this didn't really come into the equation at all when we looked into & eventually bought our initial bundle
pack of nappies :-?
I also hadn't found this site at that point either, so wasn't really aware of the whole WAHM culture... or that there were so many beautiful nappies out there.
I guess it's like a lot of things, if you don't delve into the background of how it's made - and that kind of info isn't always easy to come by :( - then often the bad side isn't immediately obvious :-?
I would (& do) prefer to buy ethically though :)

Dooby x

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:04 pm

I only buy WAHM nappies and most of my childrens clothes are WAHM too. I avoid anything cheap that is made in China or similar as there is obviously a reason why they can be sold so cheaply and I don't want to contribute to that in any way. For the same reason I won't shop at places like Primark either.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:26 pm

It's a complicated question - just because something is cheap doesn't mean that it's necessarily unethical. Items manufactured in China are being made in a low cost developing economy and that's why labour is cheap - cost of living is cheaper etc. Same applies in India - my husband runs a call centre there as part of his business, it is much cheaper to answer calls out there but all the staff are graduates and earn a fantastic wage by local standards.

It is hard to find out what a given company's welfare standards are tho.

The WAHM thing is interesting too as I personally feel that a number of WAHMs probably don't actually earn minimum wage for some of the things they make (clothing in particular) and yet I will see comments about the cost of some WAHM items..........

My avatar
WeeNotions
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby WeeNotions » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:37 pm

northernruth wrote:The WAHM thing is interesting too as I personally feel that a number of WAHMs probably don't actually earn minimum wage for some of the things they make (clothing in particular) and yet I will see comments about the cost of some WAHM items..........

I think the big difference over here, is that in the vast majority of cases it's a choice. I don't get paid minimum wage, BUT I could go and get another job if I wanted to and get minimum wage. Given the choice of a job I love for less than minimum wage or working for someone else, I'd choose this every time :wink:

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:40 pm

WeeNotions wrote:
northernruth wrote:The WAHM thing is interesting too as I personally feel that a number of WAHMs probably don't actually earn minimum wage for some of the things they make (clothing in particular) and yet I will see comments about the cost of some WAHM items..........

I think the big difference over here, is that in the vast majority of cases it's a choice. I don't get paid minimum wage, BUT I could go and get another job if I wanted to and get minimum wage. Given the choice of a job I love for less than minimum wage or working for someone else, I'd choose this every time :wink:

Oh I completely realise this, and with some of the knitting stuff it sort of funds a hobby too IYKWIM - I'm just often shocked that some people expect to get something hand made by a WAHM for not much more than you would pay at George :wink:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:41 pm

I too would prefer ethical nappy manufacture or WAHM. I doubt it's something many 1st time cloth users think of though, it's something you learn about on forums such as these :D

Hello from Leicester too :wave:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat