hf1

Ethical Nappies

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Ethical Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:46 pm

There are many sides too too this point, i would love for both myself and alesha to be wearing everything with the thought that the person made it was treated well, paid well etc, but budget is a big part of it aswell, i have no choice but too get the majority of our clothes from places like primark, asda, tesco etc although wasnt pleasently suprised to see that H&M sell clothes at similiar prices but much better quallity (not sure how ethical they are thou compared to the others :-? )
i started making clothes and seilling on here but soon relaised that if your actually going to make any money out of it then your prices need to be very high, and people just cant afford these prices which is fair enough
x

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:58 pm

I don't see that buying WAHM necessarily equates with being ethical. Where do WAHMs source their fabric from? A lot will source from China, I'd guess, which raises questions as to how ethically it has been produced. And, as Ruth says, most WAHMs won't make minimum wage.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:13 pm

As has been said, it is a very complicated issue. For example, if we decided to stop importing flowers from Kenya, then a whole economy collapses, the people who work there may not earn much and may work in not so great conditions but their lives might be alot worse if they weren't able to work. I use the example of flowers because I know nothing about how the materials or nappies are produced abroad and there lies the problem, as someone else said, just because it is from china and is cheap, doesn't mean it isn't "ethical"

TBH ethics didn't really feature in my choice to opt for cloth (and I have bought cheap chinese nappies). My reasons were mostly around the problem of waste, as well as saving me some money (fat chance once I found here). And I will admit to being ignorant about the ethics of pretty much anything I buy - but I would hazard a guess that most of us are, with the exception of the more well known companies like Nestle.

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:33 pm

WeeNotions wrote: Given the choice of a job I love for less than minimum wage or working for someone else, I'd choose this every time :wink:

This ^^

I'd love to say that I choose cloth (or anything else really) from an ethical point of view but I'd be lying. We can't afford to buy clothing etc from places other than supermarkets and the cheaper high street stores and the same goes with nappies. I'd love all of them to be WAHM made but the reality is I've got a lot of mass produced nappies in Grubs stash as they were so cheap.

As for making them myself, I don't get paid to do it and it costs me in time/fabrics/utilities etc so is personally unethical in that sense. The fabrics I use, as do most of us WAHMs are seldom produced ethically or even environmentally friendly but that's just how it is.

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Little Pants » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:14 am

I think ethics are very important. If richer countries support nappies made by poor people in poor countries for pennies, and often working in appalling conditions, it will only encourage the idea. If we don't support that, then maybe those people will be paid more, and conditions will improve.
Also, the idea of importing nappies thousands of miles doesn't make sense to me. I know that not all nappies are made in poor conditions in the developing countries, and importing nappies rather than fabric can make sense, but it appears that sometimes, fabric is imported in one direction, and then nappies are exported back again and further in the opposite direction!
That's another reason for supporting WAHMS, and the reason why I only stock nappies made in Europe.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:12 am

Little Pants wrote:I think ethics are very important. If richer countries support nappies made by poor people in poor countries for pennies, and often working in appalling conditions, it will only encourage the idea. If we don't support that, then maybe those people will be paid more, and conditions will improve.

Not buying products from abroad isn't going to make the pay and conditions better for them. Continuing to buy things while striving for fair pay and conditions as fair trade is doing is a better answer. And i would also wonder whether the fact that things are made in europe makes them automatically somehow more ethical, the far east doesn't have exclusivity on poor pay and conditions.

I am not trying to criticise anyone but just point out that it isn't as easy as saying i will only buy from europe.

I would also hazard a guess that most wahms have imported things like snap presses from the far east, are the conditions in those factories better?

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:19 am

Also rich country doesn't mean rich people :wink:

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat