hf1

Help with leaky nappies please!

My avatar
gemini89
Clothie
Clothie

Help with leaky nappies please!

Postby gemini89 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:09 pm

i don't like saying it but I've just about had enough of cloth nappies atm :( I go on and on about how good it is to use cloth but now everyone is starting to notice all the leaks :oops:
My dd (10 months) is outpeeing everything within an hour or so. Night nappies seem to be working ok (HL Bedbugs, WNNN or a boosted BG).

During the day she's in WNOS, WNSS, BBSS or OS, MEOS, LL's and Itti's but none of them seem to be working for her at the moment. Today i changed her at about 1pm, into a WNOS and by 1.45 her clothes were soaked :(

Is it just a case of buying boosters and boosting all of her nappies now or is there something i'm not doing right ? Any nappy recommendations?

Thank you!
Zoe
xxx

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Help with leaky nappies please!

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:30 pm

What inserts are you using first of all xx

My avatar
gemini89
Clothie
Clothie

Postby gemini89 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:44 pm

I use them all with the original inserts that they came with...i'll be honest i've got no idea what they're made of :oops:

Zoe

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:51 pm

They will probably be microfibe which isn't absorbent enough, it is fine as a top layer for quick absorption but when it gets really wet it just squishes out the wee. You need to get some bamboo and or hemp, in pocket nappies we used an petie dessous bamboo insert on top of an easy peasy hemp, that is a really good combo. A lot of people use microfibre on top as a quick soak up later but I never bothered.
Have a look through classifieds to see if any one is selling any inserts, there a lots of different types but def go for bamboo and hemp x

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:55 pm

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:34 pm

There are a few possibilites that could be the problem. 1) poor fit, 2) the inserts need stripping and 3) the inserts aren't absorbent enough anymore for your needs.

Are the inserts soaking wet when you take the nappies off? Sometimes as they change shape the nappies don't fit as well so you get leg gapes and leaking. Although I don't think you'd get that with lots of different types of pockets at the same time. Sometimes you get a build up of detergent in nappies and inserts so they don't work as effectively and need a strip wash. I would do that and also look at getting some other inserts too. We used a P'tit Dessous with an EP hemp underneath in all our pockets. We didn't get on with mf inserts at all.

My avatar
sweetiepups
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby sweetiepups » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:38 pm

Great advice above - I just wanted to add that most of those ones seem to leak on my DS too. I have also found that what works for an age, all of a sudden stops working because his little body changes shape.

I have found that a good combo of inserts is a trifold hemp or bamboo on the bottom and a microfibre one on top.

Hope you can find the cloth love again and that you manage to solve your leaks. :hug:

My avatar
gemini89
Clothie
Clothie

Postby gemini89 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:18 pm

Thanks for all the advice.
I'll definately try stripping them and boosting the nappies.
I'm going to have to swap some of these nappies, i bought most of them when my ds was little and my dd is a completely different shape (she's a chunk!). I've just got to accept that they probably don't suit her :(

Thank you again!
Zoe
x

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Little Pants » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:21 am

Have you thought of swopping to fitted nappies with a separate wrap? That's a much more efficient option for a power wee'er! Or if it could be just a temporary shape change, just get a few wraps to pop over the top for the moment, to give a belt and braces approach, until she slims down again that usually happens once they start to walk, so shape can change again quite quickly! Or get some wool nappy covers for over the top, instead of other clothes!

Oh and make sure it's not your poppered vests causing compression leaks. If they are tight, they will squeeze wet out, so either get a bigger size or get some vest extenders ;)

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat