hf1

HELP! Constant nappy rash - UPDATE page 2

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: HELP! Constant nappy rash

Postby ladybird » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:26 pm

I would ditch the synthetics altogether and stick completely to natural fabrics. That's what we had to do with Tallin and he was fine from then on.

My avatar
vampiredreams
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby vampiredreams » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:28 pm

I got some minkee liners you can try if you'd like :hug:

My avatar
rhiannon
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby rhiannon » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:53 pm

Do you use disposable wipes? At one point my son had the same (altho' he's in pockets 95% of the time with no liners) I stopped using dispo wipes and it cleared up. He's still the same and reacts to most of them on the market - I only use them when out of the house now. I think the fact cloth is slightly wetter at first when he wee'd made him more sore than when he was in the dispos.

It might be worth a try. Otherwise get a few different types of liner and see if any work better and plenty of nappy off time.

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:23 pm

What is the rash like spotty or red like a burn ?

We don't use fleece can use minkee but i prefer wool liners and don't use fitteds except at night when i have too as they can cause really bad rashes here especially if they are lined unless it's wool.
I can't use any kind of washing powder or we get rashes I use bio d which is the same as the mothercare smart nappy wash and that has solved the problem here :D
:hug:

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:43 pm

To answer some of the questions:

We have some LLS silk liners, which help clear the some of the redness (especially the skin above his willy), but as they aren't stay-dry, he gets sore in his creases instead.

We do use Bio powder, but I'm wondering if that is part of the problem. I might try some non-Bio if the strip wash etc doesn't work.

I do use disposable wipes, but have done since birth and he hasn't had much of an issue with them. I get the best ones I can (which are ironically the tesco own ones) and have tested them one my skin when it's sore and they don't sting.

The rash is red, like something has burned his bum :( There are a few spots of soreness, but I think this is due to wetness.

I'm going to to try some minkee liners, but I think I will have to ditch synthetics.

So what natural fabrics will keep him dry as he needs stay-dry too? Is it just wool interlock?

My avatar
vampiredreams
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby vampiredreams » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:48 pm

we can only use disposible liners or wool interlock liners....we react with ulcers on Aoife's bare bum otherwise

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:02 pm

It sounds like sensitivity to the fabrics or washing powder to me :-?
You can use wool or silk as natural liners but just changing your powder might solve it but bear in mind it might take about 3 washes for the powder to be fully washed. I never strip my nappies I just wash them on a hot wash with no powder a few times as I used the soda crystal method to strip once to combat the rash but her skin was bright red due to being sensitive to the soda ash :roll:
Hope you can solve the mystery :hug:

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:34 pm

Are you using 2 parters or pockets? When I made the switch full time to wool 24/7 (beehinds wool wraps for day longies / shorties for nights) that also helped it.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: HELP! Constant nappy rash - UPDATE page 2

Postby tanya » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:03 pm

It's gone :yahoo: I had to get rid of all the pockets/AI2s (no PUL near him at all - need to put our lonely DnF wrap up for sale :( ). All our fitteds are minkee or OCV lined (OCV seems to work as an inner for him where OBV doesn't - he gets too wet and sore with OBV) and there is no fleece used at all either as he's allergic to it apparently.

Used with full-time woolies and, unless we get a toxic teething poo, we are rash free :yahoo: :yahoo:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat