hf1

Premature/ Super Tiny Cloth Nappies - HELP!

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Premature/ Super Tiny Cloth Nappies - HELP!

Postby docmaggoo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:27 pm

I have just come home from hospital following the birth of my beautiful daughter (DD2) born at 37weeks but only weighing 4lb 11oz.
She not just small baby by weight- she is very petite in body shape and currently we are using 1 of 2 options for nappies..
1. Pamper premature nappies - supplied by the hospital as a temporary measure (for babies on NNU weighing usually <3lbs)
2. Pamper 'micro' nappies - which even these we have to fold down as to not drown her!

We use cloth nappies exclusively on DS1 and had a whole stash of 'extrasmall & small' nappies ready for our new bundle to use!

We have a huge selection of different types - however they ALL drown her and would offer no containment around the legs for BF poo. (ittis- measure up to the armpit, bambooty/tots bots - splints her legs to the side, teenyfits - ridiculously massive! and haven't got any idea about wraps that would fit!)

Has ANYONE got any other ideas? without us spending a fortune - but then the thought of paying out week in week out for sposies.....
I had thought of using a cloth wipe as absorbancy - but what about the waterproof part??
Even a nappy nippa almost reaches all the way around her waist

The only one that we have that might come close to working a little bit is a BG AIO XS - but even this needed folding down at the front and the velcro tabs overlap & sit over the hip - not sure they'd cope with explosive BF poo?

We need help!

My avatar
vampiredreams
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Premature/ Super Tiny Cloth Nappies - HELP!

Postby vampiredreams » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:30 pm

how about using muslins cut down as prefolds???

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:33 pm

That had been an idea we had, but how about waterproof wrap/ holding it in place?

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:33 pm

i agree with the muslins idea - i used them on dd who was a large baby, but i see no reason why it wouldnt work on a small one too.

i also did a google search for 'prem washable cloth nappies' and this was the first link: http://www.prem2pram.co.uk/kushies-wash ... -p-32.html

haven't looked any further but you might find other options too.

eta: :oops: i forgot to say ... congratulations on the birth of your new daughter :wine:
Last edited by tiyuricc on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:36 pm

I haven't seen or tried one but Totsbots Teenyfits are supposed to fit from 5lbs so they might fit ok? I think I remember reading somewhere that they do/have done preemy nappies too but not sure. :? ETA Minki do preemie nappies -

http://www.minkinappies.co.uk/index.php ... ef110fcb2b

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:39 pm

can you knit? or know someone/can ask someone on here to do it for you? A simple wool wrap in newborn size (or smaller) and nippa'd over those prem kushies (so cute!) might work?

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/whw-plain-wrap

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:40 pm

Congratulations!!!

My ideas - muslins - could be cut down easily if they're too bulky full sized. You might need to fasten with a pin if a nippa is too big. Waterproof wraps could be tricky - but quite a lot of WAHMs do fleece soakers which are very affordable and could be made up very fast I'm sure? Oh, and prorap do a preemie size wrap which could be used for pad folded muslins / terries (cut to suitable size?). I'm sure there are others but this is the first one I found!:

http://www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk/acatal ... ELPRO.html

Also - nappies by minki do a preemi / doll nappy which is a fully functional AIO:

http://www.minkinappies.co.uk/product_i ... ucts_id=29

HTH! And post some pictures pleeese!!

My avatar
peachy.moo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby peachy.moo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:58 pm

Firstly congratulations!!! :wine:

My dd was 5lb 6 & really skinny- the nappies by minki were a good fit, but they're not very absorbent (then again nor are the micro nappies!!!!)

Ds was 6lb 13, but he's got really skinny legs/ no bum & I'm finding that the TeenyFits are just too gappy on the legs....

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:06 pm

Hi. My little girl was tiny too. I found that bambino mio wrap x small was the best fit. She had (well still has) really skinny legs no waist and no bum! Also I used x small fuzzis with a single booster in.

Congrats on a tiny girl just think you'll get maximum usage out of clothes!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat