hf1

ARGH She stinks!!! help!!!!

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

ARGH She stinks!!! help!!!!

Postby HannahBanana » Wed May 16, 2007 4:48 pm

Erin is proper ponging of amonia at the moment and I jsut don't understand why she smells so bad :( She has just had 4 teeth poke through but honest to god her nappies reek.

I have ordered some lavender and tea tree oil to stop her wash bag stinking so much but how do I stop it smelling so bad when she actually wees in her nappy.

Just snapped at jake as he keeps saying she's pooed and she hasn't she just smells really bad of wee/amonia and I've just changed her :(

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed May 16, 2007 5:51 pm

Firstly, how much powder are you using and which type? do you do a rinse cycle in cold water before your wash? I'll offer more advice when I know more!! :D DON'T worry it can be sorted out!!!

My avatar
Ruth
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Ruth » Wed May 16, 2007 6:20 pm

Hi Hannah, maybe try rinsing them first - in the machine I mean as I know you have said before you don't do this. I do find they smell better when they have been rinsed off first could be a build up.

Or maybe it is teeth and she just smells stronger than usual. Sorry can't help more.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed May 16, 2007 6:51 pm

If they smell clean when they come out of the washing machine but smell when they come into contact with wee then it is likely to be a build up of washing powder. If this is the case then try doing a wash with no powder at all and see if there are any bubbles in the machine.

If they smell when they come out of the wash then they haven't got clean so I would suggest a wash with lots of powder like a normal wash, maybe at a higher temp if you usually wash at say 40 then give them a go at 60 and then a wash without any powder to get rid of it.

Hope this helps. Also people have mentioned about giving your machine a clean - it is surprising how much gunk and powder builds up in them so clean the powder drawer and do a very hot wash with nothing in it if you think it might be this.

Annette

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Thu May 17, 2007 7:16 am

thanks everyone! i think it could be a build up then... james put them in at the weekend and i did say not much powder but you know men!

They don't smell when they come out. We use Surcare washing powder specially for Erin's sensitive skin.

I don't rinse every wash first... probably every other and always if they really pooey iykwim. Probably should rinse everyone while she has smelly teething wee!

So today if I did a big rinse and spin and then a wash at 60 with no powder do you think that would work?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu May 17, 2007 7:22 am

Yep I reacon that should sort the problem out! The other thing you can do is put a splash of vinegar (I also add a few drops of lavender and tt oil) in the conditioner section of your machine. Vinegar actually nuetralises urine, nappies really do smell fresher if you do this. I'm not sure if surcare is one of them but I know there are some powders that cause build up as they have high levels of soap, Ecover is a prime example!!

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Thu May 17, 2007 8:44 am

Is that white vinegar? I nearly ordered some online until it was £7.50 delivery!!!! :shock:

I have recieved my lavender and and tea tree oil this morning so will try those out too!

Need to get some white vinegar now forgot to in tesco yesterday! :?

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Thu May 17, 2007 2:24 pm

i have found that surf small and mighty leaves an almost immediate build up on nappies (even if you only use about a teaspoon) and to trick you, THERE ARE NO BUBBLES IN THE EXTRA RINSE!!! but the huge smeel post wee was the give away. i washed my nappies on a long wash at 60 with no detergent (i did add some napisan just to cover all bases!) did a cold rinse first...and an extra rinse after, and they were much better. after the 2nd wash with either nothing or a wash ball they were back to normal...yay!!!
i have found that liquids leave more of a build up than powders...but that could just be the ones that i use.
hth
Shevi

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu May 17, 2007 7:10 pm

Hope you sort it out. Have to let us know if it works

Annette

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat