hf1

Newborn size nappies

My avatar
Elaine
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Newborn size nappies

Postby Elaine » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:18 am

How long does the newborn size fit baby?
I am going to get stoned here to admit this, but I am thinking about using sposies for the first 2 months with baba.
Otherwise I must make newborn size and the other size.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Newborn size nappies

Postby AnnetteandBen » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:00 am

It depends on how big you think your baby is going to be! Ben was in size 1 nappies for ages 7 months, but we also folded them down to make them a 0 with small wrap in the beginning. For the teeny newborn like diddy, bimble, for us about 3 months.

BTP nappies work from 8lbs, and size 2's you can just fold over the top and nippa. Bamboo squares were a firm fav of ours too!

My avatar
clothpenguin
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby clothpenguin » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:16 am

we are still using size ones, although they were too big to start, teenywise used from the beggining still in Diddy daipers and just about squeezable into a weenotions, ella's house size one still plenty of size left (didn't fit when teeny), kiwi quickflip size one, fab fit, not from the start but now wish I had more, but outgrew bimbles 0 and 1 (used from tiny) at about 10 weeks. I think it will depend entirely on the size and shape of your baby and the nappies you choose. A really cheap option would be bamboo terries for the early days then size ones or folded down size 2's (assuming your baby doesn't fit them right away). There is another baby Ben on the boards already in small Fuzzi's at a few weeks and Imo and Nat only just fit on them now due to skinnyness and they still don't fit her properly. They outgrew the rise on teeny nappies before anything else, you can still get the tabs touching on our tots for example, and they are four and half months now! We gave a size one bamboozle to a friend and her son outgrew it by 9 weeks... there is not telling what shape your baby will be!

Lots of people seem to go for disposables in the early weeks, pro's are no need to worry re washing when juggling new baby, cons are that you (in habits) and your bubba's skin get used to disposables but also you might not get maximum value from your lovely nappies. Have you considered truly birth to potty options such as Bumgenius (fitted Imo from 6lb but she's always been long, she was a total twiglet when tiny though). No probs using dispo's at the start but I certainly feel because we know nothing else I am frightened that dispos will leak and worry about using them basically because cloth is all I know, I think that this is how a lot of people feel when they switch from throwable to reusable, fear of the unknown is a powerful thing. Also have found I am unwilling to change anything that is working with a new baby! So, in short, if you want/need to use cloth then I have found starting right away has got us into good habits. You must do what's right for you though

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:36 am

I agree with CP, I do think it is easier to start using them right from the beginning as you get into a routine and don't know anything different. But then again, with a new baby you need to do what is right for you.

In terms of sizing, with Charlotte we only had onesize nappies and although bulky, these worked well even from the very beginning (she was 7lb 4oz). With Ben I have had alot more different nappies to use, he was 7lb 15oz and is already about 10lbs so things like size 0 Bimbles and newborn Swaddlebees have already got too small, so I wouldn't recommend them, especially if you are expecting a big baby. But our size 1 Little Lambs and Bambineos which are our faves at the moment should keep going for months yet. we also have small Fuzzis which have loads of growing room.

I have found that with most nappies it is possible to fold them down to make them smaller and although they may be bulky, I would have thought it was better than using sposies - you know they can go through about 10 a day so that is alot of nappies :wink:

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:19 am

We only had 1 type of nappy (size 1 cotton little lambs) and we put her in them from day 5. Yes they were bigger than sposies, but because we hadn't tried anything else it never occured to me that they looked big. They kept us going until about 8 months, so were very economical (although boring).
There are also lots of nappies that fold down over the front in order to accomodate a growing baby.
Unless you are expecting a very small baby, I really wouldn't bother with buying or making special newborn nappies.

My avatar
Elaine
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Elaine » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:24 am

I am not going to buy any nappies, I am going to make all my nappies myself.
I am in South Africa, and we dont have a variaty here and to order from aboard are going to cost me a small fortune.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:49 am

How about using squares on your newborn if the fitteds you make are a little large?

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:41 am

I was really disappointed with the fit of the nappies I bought for my son.

He was 8lb 9oz at birth so not enormous but nothing seemed to fit him very well. :roll: He wasn't particularly chunky then either but a lot of them didn't fit round him despite being sold as suitable for his weight. Bimbles in size 0 and size 1 were a terrible fit on him. They were way too small and would never have fitted him up until their guide weight. :evil:

We used little lambs for a while but again he grew out of them way before he should have done really. The elastic was a bit tight on him so in the end we ended up using disposables until I could find something to replace the little lambs. Used tots size 1 for a bit but again not a brilliant fit on him. We had no end of leaks round the legs.

We now use pockets the whole time and haven't looked back. If I did it all again I think I would use pockets from birth.

All in all I've been disappointed with the fit of fitted nappies this time round (used them really successfully on my daughter) but as they say babies are all different shapes and different nappies suit babies differently.

I would be very careful what you buy though - there seem to be an awful lot of nappies out there which are supposed to last a lot longer than they actually do.

I ended up with more nappies unused than we actually managed to use which annoyed me. Hey ho. At least he's in cloth now. :D

Helen xx

My avatar
Elaine
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Elaine » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:33 pm

I have already cut 5 newborn nappies, so look that I will use cloth from the beginning. :bebykiss:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat