hf1

Bamboozeled!

My avatar
dunabwin
Clothie
Clothie

Bamboozeled!

Postby dunabwin » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:48 pm

Hi all, I don't know if there's a discussion about this already somewhere sorry if there is but does anyone know what nappies use mechanically produced bamboo and which ones use bamboo rayon? I don't think there's laws about labelling them here, I know in the states they can't label rayon from bamboo as bamboo. Tots bots easyfits are labelled in the US as rayon, I was really dissapointed by that, wondering if anyof you know about the other major brands?

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Bamboozeled!

Postby tiyuricc » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:26 am

I'm sure someone will come along with much more understanding than me, but here's what I gathered from recent googling.

All bamboo material is manufactured, and is therefore called either bamboo rayon or bamboo viscose (i believe these terms are used interchangeable, the material is the same). You can look for the Oeko-Tex label - which means that the fabric is safe for consumers but does not mean that the manufacturing processes in making the fabric are either environmentally friendly or sustainable.

As to which nappies use Oeko-Tex lablled fabrics, I'm not sure. I think Beth at luscious little somethings (LLS) does, but she's winding down for maternity leave now. Probably some of the other WAHMs do too. You'd probably have to approach each one individually before purchasing. I'd imagine (and this is just a wild assumption) that you're more likely to have that sort of certification from a WAHM rather than a big company, as the WAHM's survival depends on their reputation amongst a relatively small number of consumers and they are usually making products that they'd be happy to put their little ones in. The bigger company... are just after the profits really aren't they, people will buy their products from people being aware of their name without putting a lot more thought into the types of fabric they use.

Now moving aside for input from people much more knowledgeable than me....

My avatar
dunabwin
Clothie
Clothie

Postby dunabwin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:40 pm

I'll keep my eyes open for the okeo tex. i had a mooch around the web also and i read that there is actual spun bamboo fabric that is made with enzimes not chemicals and is mechanically processed, i was really wondering if any nappies are made of that rather than the rayon processed with bamboo? Its very confuziling. :shock:

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:48 pm

hmmmmm

now i have some tots bots v2 organic easyfits. these wouldn't be mechanically engineered i doubt. i'd go dig them out but they are in my nappy bin atm. to be labelled organic surely they have to be organically sourced too? mine are def more fluffy than the usual easyfits, and don't have the microfibre in if i recall properly

My avatar
dunabwin
Clothie
Clothie

Postby dunabwin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:13 pm

ok, i've had a good old mooch around now! As far as I can see Amanda you're right (but please do correct me if i'm wrong) all of the bamboo products available on the market are rayon, processed from bamboo celulose and in America those products can no longer be marketed as bamboo as its considered misleading (I personally feel very misled :roll: ) the wiki article is helpful http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayon . there is a mechanical way of processing but i believe it producess a very course material like linen, and i can't find it for sale anywhere. So do you think this means that hemp is the most eco-friendly nappy material available?

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:49 am

i thought rayon was the other name for bamboo velour, or obv. i've asked one of my nappy making frineds if she can help u further hun anyhoo.x

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:55 am

Tots Bots bamboozles are Oeko-Tex certified:

Because we love textiles almost as much as we love babies. Oeko-tex 100 certification is your guarantee that no harmful chemicals have been used in the production process.

We make our nappies from several fabrics here at Tots each with its own unique properties. Read on if you want a bit more information on the fabrics:

Bamboo fibre – Slim fit and silky soft
One of a new breed of ‘green’ man made cellulose fibres. Similar to classic viscose, the cross section of bamboo fibre is covered in tiny micro holes giving superior absorbtion and breathability to cotton. It is also incredibly soft with a feeling akin to cashmere/silk. Bamboo is a highly sustainable resource, which grows without the need for agrochemicals and has a very short growth cycle. The processing is done within strict environmental guidelines according to ISO 9000 & 14000.

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:29 pm

thankyou lucie! knew some one would be able to elaborate more!x

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat