hf1

If you have/had 2 or more in cloth

My avatar
megsinwales49
Clothie
Clothie

If you have/had 2 or more in cloth

Postby megsinwales49 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:36 am

How did you tweak your routine when you moved to more than one in cloth?
Once both were big enough for OS nappies did you keep separate stashes for each kid, or just combine (I'm thinking it would be annoying to continually adjust the sizes)?
How often did you find you had to do a load of wash?
Any other tips or tricks?

Trying to wrap my head around this! Any input would be a big help! :D

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: If you have/had 2 or more in cloth

Postby chocmuffin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:17 am

:wave: My 2 each have there own stashes :D This is partly because it allows me to have more nappies :giggle: and with one of each sex I can have the best of both girly & boyish :lol:

When I only had 1 I would take out 2 nappies & a spare wrap in the change bag now I take 3 nappies (1 each & 1 OS for anyone) and a OS blueberry wrap, this saves on space & has always been enough! Of course if I'm out for the day not just a morning or afternoon I'll take more!

I now wash every 2 days, but when George was v young it would be every 1 1/2 days. When I just had Cara I'd do it every 3 days.

Biggest tip don't get behind with the washing & fold nappies ready for use as soon as they're dry. I only have space to hang 1 load of washing to dry (no tumble dryer) & finding you have no nappies ready you have your hands full isn't easy!

Hope this helps :lol:

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:22 am

I haven't had two in cloth yet as I only started with ds2, but with ds3 I will be using separate stashes. I prefer sized fitteds to one size fitteds/pockets, and find the fit better. I'll also likely use a combination of terry squares and fitteds for the baby anyway as they'll dry quicker. I have to use mainly fitteds for ds2 anyway as he's quite a heavy wetter first thing in the morning and overnight.

I'd just say to try one way and if you find it's not working, switch and see if the other way is any better. As for the washing... I'm dreading it!! I wash every third day at the moment, but think I'll adjust to every other day, especially now the weather is getting a bit better I can get things out on the line easier. That's why I was thinking of using terry squares more, they dry overnight on a radiator rack so will be easier for the first few weeks while I adjust :wink:

My avatar
weefywoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby weefywoo » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:33 am

I have 2 in cloth atm, So far I only use sized nappies for both as one size don't suit dd2 well and dd3 is still quite a titch even when my eldest 2 were both in cloth I used sized :-?
but If it where me and I was using one size on both I would have just shared the nappies between them and washed at 60 to avoid any nasties getting from one to the other!
When Imogen was only in cloth I could get away with washing every 2/3 days but now I have to wash everyday otherwise there are too many nappies in the machine to actually properly clean every single one :roll:
Also I 100% agree with the pp who said to sort nappies as soon as they are dry, I have 3 loads right now sitting there wanting to be put together and the size & amount of them is really putting me off :giggle: :giggle:

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:19 pm

I had 2 in cloth for 10 months.

No change to routine really as I just changed them when they needed it, which was at different times. In my changing bag I would usually have 1/2 for Natalie and 2/3 for Ryan (when he was little).

Natalie wore bg's and pop-ins, so if I did get stuck for a nappy for Ryan I could adjust it, but for the first bit of time he went in bg aios (smalls) so took those. When Ryan was a bit bigger I had them snapped to the different sizes and separate as it was easier than adjusting all the time. There were always certain nappies that suited one more than the other anyway.

Washed every 2 days, I didn't need to do it more often, though most of my stash was quick drying as we didn't have a tumble drier at the time. I wash in the evening and hang overnight, or wash overnight and hang in the morning. I always stick nappies back together in the evening once they've gone to bed so that they're ready for the next day.

Very soon (hopefully!!!) I'll have 2 in cloth again. I've picked up one of the Ikea Trofast drawer system things, and have their nappies separate. 2 drawers each, fitteds in one, pockets/aio/ai2 in the other. I have separate stashes again, as Ryan is now only in Easyfits/BGv4 due to his size, and have a teeny stash for bump, then the bg smalls, then the pop-ins! I have way too many nappies hanging around at the moment..... :oops:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:00 pm

i used mostly green kids and as williAM was a big baby he fitted them straight away. i shared there nappies mostly with the exception of course for the girly/boyish few i had

My avatar
moo54
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby moo54 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:17 pm

hiya

when I had 2 in cloth, dd was in bgs and ds was in Wnss and bgs. I split the colours of the bgs so that I knew which ones were poppered down. When we went out I usually only took bgs and then a couple of ep boosters and poppered and boosted accordingly to the lo.

In the beggining I washed every day, as the nappy buckets were full. Then when my dd slowed down on the pooing it moved to every 2 days. Then my ds PT day and night simultaneously :wine:

Other tip is depending on the flavour get some unisex....my dp was happy for my dd to wear blue but not so happy for my ds to wear pink :giggle:

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby paintedclaws » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:34 pm

I used separate stashes for my two and washed them every day (1 1/2days at a push).

I really had to have separate nappies though because Noah was such a heavy wetter and also huge, he wore toddlersize because most onesize nappies just wouldn't fit him with the amount of boosting i used. Also Poppy is pretty small so it made the size difference even more, she didn't fit into OS until she was about 4 months old so i stuck with sized..

My avatar
megsinwales49
Clothie
Clothie

Postby megsinwales49 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:39 pm

Thanks everyone! :wine: V. helpful! Especially the washing tips, as that's what I'm dreading the most. I already wash every 2 days, so will probably have move to a load every day for a few months- blech! We don't have a tumble drier, so good thing this baby is due in June!
I have been soooo good about keeping my stash gender neutral, but now that I know I'm having a girl, the girly prints/colours are really tempting. Since we'll be using prefolds/wraps at first, I might satisfy the girly cravings by buying some cute wraps, since they're pretty cheap.

What are your fav wraps with the cutest girly styles?

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat