hf1

What are your reasons for using cloth?

My avatar
sweetiepups
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: What are your reasons for using cloth?

Postby sweetiepups » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:45 am

I was interested in cloth from the eco point of view.

I much prefer reusing/recycling etc than throw away things in all areas of my life.

But I am not sure I would have stuck with cloth if there were only prefolds in my stash :wink:

Cloth nappies are just gorgeous now. They seems so much better for baby skin and no chemical smell either.

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:52 am

Well the first time round when I used cloth was in 2003, and it was really due to cost, landfill and stinky bins. I used prefolds, terries and Motherease wraps and that is all :shock:

This time round with Archie, I have got more into pretties I must admit so probably haven't saved any money at all!

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:54 am

I started using cloth for both the landfill reason & when I discovered the amount of chemicals in a nappy, I was horrified (& they wonder why cancer rates are going up & up). It still baffles me when people say that they didn't realise there was chemicals in disposables. We use reusable cloth in this house rather than disposable (re-usable kitchen towels, wipes, although we do use toilet paper rather than cloth).

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:55 am

my reasons started off purely as money saving. i hated spending so much on disposables to only throw them in the bin the next day. so i reasearched got some functional nappies that did the job and i thought would last multiple children.

(dh had been nagging me to use cloth since before birth for environmental reasons... we didn't start until 6 months when i was much more money conscious)

we were also struggling to fit everythign in the ever-decreasing-sized bins that we're allowed to use, so using cloth definitely helps there.

but then dd came along and i needed some small nappies and i went from someone who didn't get pretty fitteds to someone that quite likes them :giggle: plus the original functional stash went bare in patches while in storage :x so even when she was big enough to fit in them i had to buy more.

i like taking off her togs and having something pretty on show... even though i'm aware that most people don't get cloth let alone pretty cloth. i like not having to buy sposies. i like not having to buy wipes. i actually get a buzz from having nappies hanging on the line on a sunny day :oops: and i love that cloth doesn't either leak or smell.

and i love love love getting new soft squishy fluff .... even though i know it'll be hard and crunchy in a few days thanks to our disgusting water.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:00 am

tiyuricc wrote:(dh had been nagging me to use cloth since before birth for environmental reasons... we didn't start until 6 months when i was much more money conscious)

I wish my dh was on board. I am the environmental driver in our house. Dh loves the idea of becoming completely self sufficient in everything but the environment is not his driving force there only a benefit to doing it.

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:06 am

tiyuricc wrote:i actually get a buzz from having nappies hanging on the line on a sunny day :oops:

I totally get this too! Nothing more satisfying than seeing them all flapping in the breeze... :lookround:

Dooby x

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:35 am

For me it is primarily to do with the landfill and the chemicals on lo's bum. I am now converted to the cuteness though :giggle:

doobykat wrote:
tiyuricc wrote:i actually get a buzz from having nappies hanging on the line on a sunny day :oops:

I totally get this too! Nothing more satisfying than seeing them all flapping in the breeze... :lookround:

Dooby x

Me too, I love to see all the colours

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:40 am

Mainly money, and even with my raging addiction to pretties and wool, DH reckons we saved around £600 on Bella. Now I have Jake, I don't think he could be in sposies full time as he has such sensitive skin and whilst sposies help clear up a bad rash (only 2 or 3 days use), longer term they make him sore :(

When we were using sposies on Bella (for the last 5 months), DH and my parents (we lived there for 6 weeks) complained about the stink from the bin caused by the nappies.

My avatar
clairegrace
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby clairegrace » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:49 am

My initial switch was caused by the poo-splosions we were having with sposies, then I got the bug!! :hohoho: and although it's probably not saved us a fortune in nappies, the reusable wipes most definately have. :wine:

Nowadays we still tend to use a sposie for overnight as DD gets a sore bum with her teeth at the mo and covering her in sudocrem overnight generally sorts it out with the odd smear of it through the day and fleece liners :wink:

I think cloth is so so much prettier though and i'm looking forward to showing off come summer time!!

We also found a massive reduction in rubbish in the wheely bin, plus it stunk to high heaven in the warm weather. Landfill never bothered me before, my stance was always that I wouldn't be around to see it and we'd probably have nuked the earth by then anyway. However, since having DD, it is something that I've thought about more and although I won't be around to see the mess I really hope that her children and grandchildren are and i'd like to contribute in my own little way to keeping things nice and healthy for them.

I'm also planning on saving most of my stash for our next baby so although I've got a stupid amount of nappies at the moment, my justification is that with such a large rotation even though most of my nappies are BTP, they should do us more than I baby! so we will save some money in the long run. :thumbsup:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat