hf1

What are your reasons for using cloth?

My avatar
fluffpuffin
Clothie
Clothie

What are your reasons for using cloth?

Postby fluffpuffin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:12 pm

I'm just nosey :lol: . Is it with most of you really just about saving the landfills?

for me this is really not the main reason :oops: , although obviously that's great. i don't really see myself as this eco-warrior. For me I love cloth because it's
- cute & pretty - ok, I confess I'm an addict :giggle:
- less smelly wheelie bin & more room in it (it used to be crammed full of sposies)
- less smelly on my LO's bum & softer
- convenient - no more lugging big packs of sposies home from the supermarket

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: What are your reasons for using cloth?

Postby doobykat » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:20 pm

I'll admit that it had a fair bit to do with the whole landfill thing. And I was horrified to read just how long it takes for a sposie to break down :shock:
Not really sure that I'd class myself as an eco-warrior :giggle: but I do think that we should all be a little bit aware of what we do to the planet and take small steps to reduce our impact on it.
Plus cloth is also much kinder to baby's delicate skin too :hug:
I also used to think about the cost implication of cloth v sposies too... but given how much I've spent on cloth nappies since I discovered CNT, the classifieds and the WAHM section, I really don't think that will have much bearing anymore :giggle:
And you're right, cloth nappies are generally much prettier/cuter than sposies :cnthug:

Dooby x

My avatar
Chooky
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Chooky » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:54 am

Our only reason when we started...
:oops: We were getting poor :giggle:
Lucky we started when we did because we are Really poor at the moment :giggle:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:38 am

The main 2 reasons for us were the landfill issue and money. However after using them i have discovered more benefits.

KINDER TO SKIN I could never have used baby wipes on Izzy because they sting her :( and leave her blistered so cloth wipes were a necessity for us. Her bum was sore as a newborn in sposies too, couldnt wait to use our cloth
back home

CUTE i love all cloth i think even terry squares look cute.

DOING MY BIT I like that i take responsibility for my own stuff! I am glad i am not contributing to those disgusting nappy bins in public toilets that make me gag :evil: I am glad that some other poor bugger doesnt have to deal with our smelly nappies

CNT Its like one big family on here i love it and check in every day with everyone :D

MY BUSINESS VENTURE I would have never have set up my little shop without CNT so a massive bonus to using cloth!

Even if you get addicted and spend money on fancy cloth you still save money, lets say you would have spent £1000 on sposies but you used cloth instead. Well I reckon I have spent about £1000 on cloth but have sold on probably £600-£700 worth anyway and I have still got my Large stash which is worth a bit. Plus you can buy a full stash and save it for subsequent children then you would save the full £1000 next time.

hoorah for cloth :mrgreen:

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:28 am

i have a couple
landfill was one i was also horrified about how many nappie were being used and how long it took to break down

sencond was my son has problems with dispoies as in the burn his bum and he gets really bad thrush when we use spoies for a long time yes we still use them at night but ryan out wee night nappys :oops: but i put lanolin on his bum to protect it form the chemicals

and the third is i thing he look so cute in them and so much more convenient when we are out as in no leaks from a spoies the amount if time i had to change ryan's clothes was rediculase but snice he been in cloth i've had one maybe tow accidents where wee just misses the nappy :roll:

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:24 am

Pretty much WTS!

1. they're soo cute and I love buying them... :oops:
2. I hate having a bin full of stinky nappies - volume of rubbish is halved with cloth and it smells so much better
3. I hate the smell of disposables when you change them and the thought of all those chemicals on lo's skin (have you ever had one burst and leak little crystals all over their bottom :puke:
4. They are so much more reliable - no more hose downs in the bath and peeling off sleepsuits covered head to foot in poo :puke:

I'm really not sure I've saved any money - own brand disposables really don't cost very much. But buying them is so much more fun!! And I'd much rather give my money to WAHMs or mums selling on and recycling than to Mr Tesco any day.

My avatar
coastal
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby coastal » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:25 am

I would never have considered disposables because of the landfill issues, but the more I looked into cloth, when I was pregnant, the more compelling reasons I added to the list.
I was horrified at the chemical content, the environmental impact during their manufacture, the possible impact on boys fertility due to the higher temperature... oh and the cost savings were an extra incentive too!! and the fact that cloth encourages good hip development and protects their wee bottoms when learning to walk. :lol:
Last edited by coastal on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
stacey10782010
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby stacey10782010 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:37 am

because there sooooo cute :oops: not because its cheaper anyway because its not at the moment.ive spent a fortune :giggle: my dh would have a fit if he knew how much ive spent :hohoho:

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:45 am

stacey10782010 wrote:my dh would have a fit if he knew how much ive spent :hohoho:

:giggle: I suspect mine might do more than just roll his eyes at the latest parcel arrival too!! :giggle:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat